Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Sep 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #2,911 of 3,480
Thanks. Hopefully I can initiate a charge back with a Visa dispute through my bank if it doesn't turn up. I try not to use DHL/UPS/Fedex etcetera because they charge customs brokerage fees on top of import duty, which means that things normally end up costing a lot more than they're worth (that's the case here in Thailand at least).

I'm willing to bet they're doing the "stick it in the big box of stuff to be shipped to that country until the big box is full" - i.e. in their mind, it "shipped" when it was put into the box. It will actually be shipped when the box is full (i.e. enough various orders from your country have been processed).

I got mine from Amazon for £140 (!), but even for around double what you paid I feel it's an awesome device - and it was Amazon Prime so I got it next day.

A lot of sellers o from China on ebay and otherwise seem to play fast and loose with shipping times. Some take ages to arrive, some have been spectacularly quick, considering the distance.

Good luck in any case!

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,912 of 3,480
Ordered mine M1s from Joybuy Aug 13,2017 and received Aug 30,2017.
The only issue was absent tracking number after actual shipping so I have to ping support to get tracking number.

Love this DAC a lot. Actually, this is my very first more or less hi-fi player
Previous one: sony S764 is still alive but far away from hi-fi hw.

Also ordered few xduoo X2 - just could not resist $27 sale price :).

And many thx to Shanling for HiByMusic app - really cool that I can manage my dac from smatrphone.

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,913 of 3,480
Actually I'm beginning to regret this decision now. I paid for the order on the 28th August and PostNL, which Joybuy uses for international shipments, is still showing my package as 'Ready for Shipment', which means that 15 days after I have handed over my money, my M1 has still not been sent out to me. I've messaged Joybuy about 6 times and they keep telling me everything is fine and to be patient but I'm not happy. They marked the order as shipped on 29th August, a day after I paid, which was clearly a lie. I'd advise caution to anybody else who is thinking of placing an order with Joybuy, judging by my experience so far. I'm only a sample of one of course but I do not like to be told to 'be patient' by a vendor. They wanted my money and I want what I've paid for. What I don't want is to be spoken to like a schoolboy. I'm sure they wouldn't wait several weeks for me to pay for something they already sent out so why expect me to exercise so much patience? :triportsad:

Mine was delivered to the UK in 14 days from Joybuy but the tracking info never moved from "in transit" so it was a surprise when it arrived.

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #2,914 of 3,480
Mine was delivered to the UK in 14 days from Joybuy but the tracking info never moved from "in transit" so it was a surprise when it arrived.
I love these heartwarming stories of timely deliveries :angry:

My parcel is 'at the PostNL Sorting Centre' today. So, 15 days after paying for it, my M1 is still in China! I won't order anything else from them in the future: I wasn't blessed with the kind of patience required to deal with vendors like Joybuy.

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2,915 of 3,480
I love these heartwarming stories of timely deliveries :angry:

My parcel is 'at the PostNL Sorting Centre' today. So, 15 days after paying for it, my M1 is still in China! I won't order anything else from them in the future: I wasn't blessed with the kind of patience required to deal with vendors like Joybuy.

The delivery time quoted on Joybuy was 20-40 days so you can't begin to complain yet. The saving was so good that I'd happily wait the full time before contacting them if it hadn't arrived.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,917 of 3,480
The delivery time quoted on Joybuy was 20-40 days so you can't begin to complain yet. The saving was so good that I'd happily wait the full time before contacting them if it hadn't arrived.
Thank you for telling me what I can and can't do but I've every right to complain when a vendor tells me they will ship a product in 7 days and 15 days later it is still showing as 'Ready for Shipping', i.e not yet shipped. That's 8 days late already. Also, their quoted shipping time is 20-30 days, not 20-40 days so please get your facts straight before wading in with an opinion.

All Chinese vendors quote lengthy shipping times for their free shipping options but many manage to deliver within a couple of weeks so when an order I've placed has not even started to make its way to me more than 2 weeks after I've paid for it, I am going to start hassling the vendor in question. It's a sloppy way to conduct business and low prices are no excuse for poor customer service.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,918 of 3,480
Thank you for telling me what I can and can't do but I've every right to complain when a vendor tells me they will ship a product in 7 days and 15 days later it is still showing as 'Ready for Shipping', i.e not yet shipped. That's 8 days late already. Also, their quoted shipping time is 20-30 days, not 20-40 days so please get your facts straight before wading in with an opinion.

All Chinese vendors quote lengthy shipping times for their free shipping options but many manage to deliver within a couple of weeks so when an order I've placed has not even started to make its way to me more than 2 weeks after I've paid for it, I am going to start hassling the vendor in question. It's a sloppy way to conduct business and low prices are no excuse for poor customer service.

I think that you need to realize that tracking information from China is highly unreliable.

I've had hundreds of packages from there and several of them has never left the vendor on the tracking information by the time I've received them. I particularly remember a pair of GR07BE going in a loop between Guangzhou and Shenzhen on the tracking while they were actually playing music in my ears......

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,919 of 3,480
I think that you need to realize that tracking information from China is highly unreliable.

I've had hundreds of packages from there and several of them has never left the vendor on the tracking information by the time I've received them. I particularly remember a pair of GR07BE going in a loop between Guangzhou and Shenzhen on the tracking while they were actually playing music in my ears......
The tracking comes from PostNL (the Netherlands postal service), not China Post, Hong Kong Post or Singapore Post, so it's a little different I think. No more efficient as far as getting a parcel to me is concerned but I've seen the type of tracking you mention when I've ordered stuff from AliExpress and this is not the same at all.

EDIT: I know you guys are just trying to be helpful but I'm far from a Chinese postal virgin - I've lived in Thailand for 14 years and ordered quite a lot of stuff from China during that time. The only items that have taken longer than two weeks to arrive in all that time have never arrived at all.

I may come across as very impatient as it is true that Joybuy gave themselves 20-30 days to get the M1 to me but it's now 17 days (just!) since the order was placed and paid for, and it is still at their postal provider's sorting office in China. Considering they claimed to have shipped the parcel on the 29th August, I feel entitled to be a little annoyed that it has taken this long to get to the sorting office.

And I will stop posting about it now as it's clogging this thread up with rubbish. My first post was meant as more of a heads up to anybody else that was thinking of buying from Joybuy for the first time but it has nothing to do with Shanling or the quality of their products and services so it's probably better if I don't mention it again. Cheers.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #2,920 of 3,480
I did promise I wouldn't post about my Joybuy experience again so please accept my apologies for doing so but it looks like the M1 will be with me in a couple of days and I felt duty bound to state publicly that it will have taken around 21-22 days to arrive by the time it gets here, which is well within Joybuy's estimate of 20-30 days.

It was a bit strange that the day I spoke to them about opening a Visa dispute my parcel finally showed up in tracking as having arrived at the PostNL sorting centre but that could easily have been a coincidence so there's nothing to gain by speculating on that. Some of you will think I'm an impatient a** who should have just chilled out and waited for it to arrive and I will happily concede that you have a good point. I do still think their shipping dates are a little deceptive but I wouldn't want to discourage people from doing business with them just because of that. I know a lot of vendors who mark their orders as shipped, and even provide tracking numbers, before they have actually sent out the orders in question.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,921 of 3,480
In my experience I'd avoid Post NL as they seem to have both a unreliable tracking system as well as long shipping time.

Anyway, I'm glad that it seems as if everything is working out for you and enjoy your new M1 :)

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,922 of 3,480
I have noticed that after the last firmware update, my M1 will automatically connect to a searching Bluetooth device (my car stereo) even when the Bluetooth is on OFF on my M1 player. @Shanling can You fix this on the next firmware update please?

Interesting find, we will definitely look into it.

Does the standby mode affect the battery comparing to the autoshutdown prom previous FWs?

It has some impact, on standy by M1 should last for 10-15 days.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #2,924 of 3,480
Hoping to get some advice on what can be done to fix my M1, as like some other posters have described, my scroll wheel has also broken after not much use.

The wheel itself has actually detached from the body, and as you can see in the photo, there seems to be a plastic sleeve (which holds the wheel in place), that has split in several places. I assume this is from the pressure of the click component of the wheel? The strange part is I've used it no more than a dozen times, and it's never been dropped.

7kDBIfq.jpg

I'm not sure what unscrewing the screw shown will achieve, if anything. Can it be repaired? Happy to send it back to @Shanling if something can be done, as I really like the player and want to try and fix it.

Just as an update to this. In the last week or so I received a repaired or replaced Shanling M1 :)

I believe it's a repair but I can't be 100% sure since I never noted the serial number. But I would like to thank the AliExpress seller, AK Audio Store, for their help in getting this resolved. It did take some time, but patience has paid off.

We see a lot of stories about bad customer service all over the web, so to buck the trend here's one about good customer service :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back