Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 1, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,176 of 3,480

Yes, I followed the thread since I owned a Red but I sold it.
Maybe an app to control the whole android system (poweramp alpha has a internal volume with 100 steps that works perfectly, but only with the app obviously).

Nowadays are they still working on it? or may they are designing the new dragonflys :D

Have good news on the DFR (and DFB). I asked Audioquest a few questions and just had reply below:

Dear Andrew,

The software update, which will be available to download for free via the Desktop Manager app on our website: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/#downloads will be available in a week or so.  This will update both the volume issue and MQA.  If you registered your Dragonfly, you will receive an email when it's available.

Please note: you will need to use a suitable media player, such as Tidal or Audirvana Plus, to play MQA files.  This is because MQA requires a decoder and a renderer to play a file.  The renderer is built into the Dragonfly and the decoder is built into the media player's software.  Once updated, your Dragonfly will glow a beautiful shade of blue to let you know you're playing an MQA file.  MQA files are played in the same resolution as they were recorded in.

Best regards,

Alasdair
AudioQuest

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,177 of 3,480

Have good news on the DFR (and DFB). I asked Audioquest a few questions and just had reply below:

Dear Andrew,

The software update, which will be available to download for free via the Desktop Manager app on our website: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/#downloads will be available in a week or so.  This will update both the volume issue and MQA.  If you registered your Dragonfly, you will receive an email when it's available.

Please note: you will need to use a suitable media player, such as Tidal or Audirvana Plus, to play MQA files.  This is because MQA requires a decoder and a renderer to play a file.  The renderer is built into the Dragonfly and the decoder is built into the media player's software.  Once updated, your Dragonfly will glow a beautiful shade of blue to let you know you're playing an MQA file.  MQA files are played in the same resolution as they were recorded in.

Best regards,

Alasdair
AudioQuest

Ok, thank you very much. Curious about how they have solved the volume steps.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,179 of 3,480
Got my blue M1 from Massdrop yesterday. What a great little player. I had the M2 but sold it for the M1. No regrets at all and having the added bluetooth feature is a big bonus. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,180 of 3,480
  Got my blue M1 from Massdrop yesterday. What a great little player. I had the M2 but sold it for the M1. No regrets at all and having the added bluetooth feature is a big bonus. 

It's the same for me
biggrin.gif
 The blue is just sleek and beautiful.

My only complaint is that my unit came with a hairline crack close to the wheel, which I contacted Massdrop support about. It's not an issue right now, but I'm worried it may become one in the future. 

Also, it seems like my SD card doesn't work with the resume feature, although perhaps I just need to update my firmware to 1.12.

Lastly @Shanling, there are a couple things I would really appreciate in the next firmware update.

a) Since I have a lot of music, the scrolling can take forever 
tongue.gif
 Would it be possible to allow the side up/down arrows to skip down a letter when in the music menu?
b) I would love the screen lock option to have more nuance; I think it would much more convenient if there was the option to choose to 1) enable all buttons when screen is off, 2) disable all buttons when screen is off, or 3) allow only the volume wheel to work while the screen is off.

There's been times when I want to just turn the volume down a bit, but when I have the screen lock enabled, I can't without turning on the screen. But when the screen lock is disabled, I can on occasion skip to the next track accidentally when feeling for the unit in my pocket.

But otherwise, I'm enjoying my experience! All in all, a great player!

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #2,181 of 3,480
  It's the same for me
biggrin.gif
 The blue is just sleek and beautiful.

My only complaint is that my unit came with a hairline crack close to the wheel, which I contacted Massdrop support about. It's not an issue right now, but I'm worried it may become one in the future. 

Also, it seems like my SD card doesn't work with the resume feature, although perhaps I just need to update my firmware to 1.12.

Lastly @Shanling, there are a couple things I would really appreciate in the next firmware update.

a) Since I have a lot of music, the scrolling can take forever 
tongue.gif
 Would it be possible to allow the side up/down arrows to skip down a letter when in the music menu?
b) I would love the screen lock option to have more nuance; I think it would much more convenient if there was the option to choose to 1) enable all buttons when screen is off, 2) disable all buttons when screen is off, or 3) allow only the volume wheel to work while the screen is off.

There's been times when I want to just turn the volume down a bit, but when I have the screen lock enabled, I can't without turning on the screen. But when the screen lock is disabled, I can on occasion skip to the next track accidentally when feeling for the unit in my pocket.

But otherwise, I'm enjoying my experience! All in all, a great player!

Someone from Shanling has already answered question "a" (a couple of weeks ago) - and they are adding some sort of page skip / fast scroll to the next firmware release.

And for "b", they would have to allow at least the Power / Screen On button to be active all the time, even when the screen is off.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,182 of 3,480

Someone from Shanling has already answered question "a" (a couple of weeks ago) - and they are adding some sort of page skip / fast scroll to the next firmware release.

And for "b", they would have to allow at least the Power / Screen On button to be active all the time, even when the screen is off.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Ah, thank you for your response David. Your posts in this thread are always so helpful.

Regarding "b" I was allowing for the Power/On button being enabled, although I suppose I should have specified that. I was in essence just referring to the screen lock as it is now, where only the Power switch works.

So I guess I should have just said "The way the screen lock works now, plus one more option".

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,184 of 3,480
  Ah, thank you for your response David. Your posts in this thread are always so helpful.

Regarding "b" I was allowing for the Power/On button being enabled, although I suppose I should have specified that. I was in essence just referring to the screen lock as it is now, where only the Power switch works.

So I guess I should have just said "The way the screen lock works now, plus one more option".

Here's the link to the "a" question being answered - http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd/1950#post_13170248

And, I agree that it would be nice to have an option where only the Volume wheel is active.  I wear my M1 on a "badge" lanyard (using a strip of velcro through the case flap), and the buttons sometimes get bumped accidentally.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #2,186 of 3,480
Guys, if you have feature requests, my advice is to make it VERY CLEAR that it's a feature request and tag Shanling in your post. That will allow the Shanling rep to target your feature request and relay it back to the software engineers. Just my two cents...

Also, I've got the other Shanling DAPs. They've already implemented quick scrolling in an effective way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back