Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jan 30, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,161 of 3,480

The M1 (USB-C) to Mojo (Micro-USB) connection is the only one that is available (unless you want to convert the USB digital output of the M1 to SPDIF, and use one of the SPDIF inputs on the Mojo).
There are links on the Mojo thread for short OTG cables that will work for connecting the two devices.

Ok. Got it. Thanks for the clarification! What I'm concerned about is the SQ. Is it good enough? 

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #2,162 of 3,480
Just got the M1 today 5 minutes later and im streaming tidal hifi to it to the Mojo. Sounds awesome and I now have an endless amount of music. I kinda want the Hugo now to as it has apt x to. Perfect size all around, I wish my case would have been delivered today to but it will be here tomorrow.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,163 of 3,480
I haven't found a firmware that doesn't have USB out ?

Post #559 from Shanling confirmed that the first firmware on (at least) the first batch of units had usb output disabled. I think, from memory, that mine had that firmware but by the time I received it the update was available. I don't think you could get one with that firmware any more.

Alright, Thats PERFECT! so you're saying that it does USB-out. I'm going to order one right away. Can you please tell me what cable you're using? from what I can gather, its a USB-C to micro usb? how is the bluetooth performance with mojo? compared to wired straight out of your phone. I'm mostly going to listen to spotify. so thats max 320kbps. can it transmit 320kbps without downsampling the bitrate?

I use a cable from yourcharger on ebay.

Before today I had not used bluetooth with the M1 - I bought it to be either attached to the Mojo or by itself to my arm when biking and exercising (although now I don't really want to detach it from the Mojo) - but I gave it a try with my HTC M9. They paired without any problems.
I don't use Spotify; I tried with Hiby, using local FLAC files. Bitrate doesn't seem to be an issue, wouldn't expect so with both of them supporting aptx. Was doing 44kHz correctly and stayed at 44kHz for an 88kHz track, which means Android wasn't interfering and making it all 48kHz. I don't know if that is the bluetooth process, or Hiby; can't tell you if Spotify would act the same, though if it does, 44kHz MP3s should be just fine.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,164 of 3,480

Works wonderfully:

I forget what firmware I'm on - not the very first one, obviously, that couldn't do USB output - but its just plug in and go, it informs that an audio device is connected and that is where it will output. The Mojo light is the correct colour and I perceive no noise or interference, considerably better than with my phone. Its also nice to use Hiby music player on a device it is actually designed for, although I appreciate that it is the handy free option for phones.
I still need to find appropriate rubber/plastic bands, because those straps are velcro with the softer side inwards and the outer side likes to cling to things, like pockets. But otherwise, its surprisingly solid and stable, and it is fantastic to finally have an easily portable Mojo.

Alright, Thats PERFECT! so you're saying that it does USB-out. I'm going to order one right away. Can you please tell me what cable you're using? from what I can gather, its a USB-C to micro usb? how is the bluetooth performance with mojo? compared to wired straight out of your phone. I'm mostly going to listen to spotify. so thats max 320kbps. can it transmit 320kbps without downsampling the bitrate?

Lossy to lossy is never recommended. Aptx is still lossy. Personally with Spotify I can hear the difference from my own 320kbps rips vs there's and I prefer mine. I don't know if they do that on purpose or what but I would rather go lossless to mojo if I was using aptx.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #2,165 of 3,480
Just got the M1 today 5 minutes later and im streaming tidal hifi to it to the Mojo. Sounds awesome and I now have an endless amount of music. I kinda want the Hugo now to as it has apt x to. Perfect size all around, I wish my case would have been delivered today to but it will be here tomorrow.

Glad you're in the gang now howdy!

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #2,169 of 3,480
Is the sound quality of the M1 good enough?  I'm not expecting it to be comparable to the Mojo I had or even the Dragonfly Red, but is it as good or better than most smartphones such as Samsung S7 or iPhone?

I don't need lots of power as I'm using sensitive 9 Ohm SE846's, but must be no low level background noise (hiss).

I'd intend to use it direct to SE846's with FLAC/DSD files on the M1 itself but also stream Tidal over Bluetooth to it from my phone.

If anyone has had both, how would the sound quality of this compare to just getting a Dragonfly Red for my phone?

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #2,170 of 3,480
  I don't need lots of power as I'm using sensitive 9 Ohm SE846's, but must be no low level background noise (hiss).

Simply forget this idea. The noise floor is to poor for this kind of king of hiss sensitive IEM like the Shure SE846 is.

The SQ of the M1 itself is very good, but the noise floor is not for sensitive IEMs. Regular head phones, non sensitive IEMs = no problem.

That's why I'm using the M1 paired with my Mojo because of the better noise floor.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #2,171 of 3,480

Simply forget this idea. The noise floor is to poor for this kind of king of hiss sensitive IEM like the Shure SE846 is.

The SQ of the M1 itself is very good, but the noise floor is not for sensitive IEMs. Regular head phones, non sensitive IEMs = no problem.

That's why I'm using the M1 paired with my Mojo because of the better noise floor.

Looks like the Dragonfly Red then but going to wait for the MQA update & hope they improve the Android low volume issues caused by the Android OS. Not really into getting a DAP that's as big/heavy as the phone I already carry. My Exynos S7 already sounds great with the SE846's (not to Mojo level) but decent. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,172 of 3,480

Looks like the Dragonfly Red then but going to wait for the MQA update & hope they improve the Android low volume issues caused by the Android OS. Not really into getting a DAP that's as big/heavy as the phone I already carry. My Exynos S7 already sounds great with the SE846's (not to Mojo level) but decent. 

I highly doubt they will improve the issues with android if the device doesn't have physical buttons for volume.

Maybe they could improve compatibility but due the vaste variety of roms, kernels, brands..nearly impossible unless they release a dedicated music app with access to the internal volume, but we've got USB Audio Player that works this way, and I think it works as well as without having physical buttons.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,173 of 3,480

I highly doubt they will improve the issues with android if the device doesn't have physical buttons for volume.

Maybe they could improve compatibility but due the vaste variety of roms, kernels, brands, nearly impossible unless they release a dedicated music app with access to the internal volume, but we've got USB Audio Player that works this way, and I think it works as well as without having physical buttons.

They promised a fix for android volume issue over 6 months ago, I have emails from Audioquest referencing it, but then went quiet so who knows. I do use UAPP which is fine but I'm still a user of Spotify so need volume to work with that too.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,174 of 3,480

They promised a fix for android volume issue over 6 months ago, I have emails from Audioquest referencing it, but then went quiet so who knows. I do use UAPP which is fine but I'm still a user of Spotify so need volume to work with that too.

Yes, I followed the thread since I owned a Red but I sold it.
Maybe an app to control the whole android system (poweramp alpha has a internal volume with 100 steps that works perfectly, but only with the app obviously).

Nowadays are they still working on it? or may they are designing the new dragonflys :D

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,175 of 3,480
have read parts of this thread with interest as on the look out for an updated dap

my budget is up to around £150 / £160 and the M1 does interest me somewhat

I have also been looking at the new Fiio x1 ii - but have also taken observations from some of the end users experience

Reading through the thread, would I be right in saying M1 is "better" than x1 ii?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back