Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jan 23, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,086 of 3,480
Looks like there will finally be a Canadian dealer carrying the Shanling M1.  avgearshop.com informed me they should have stock in 10 days or so.  Up to now Shanling DAP's have been scarce in Canada.

It will be interesting to see how much it sells for Canadian.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,087 of 3,480
  Hi, I'm using the ipod mini in my car but would like to upgrade for more space, the M1 seems like the perfect fit. 
The ipod is connected with the Fiio L11, AUX to my car radio and usb to recharge at the same time, Can i do that with the M1 ?

The M1 doesn't have a separate Fixed Level Line Out setting, but the Earphone Output can drive the AUX Input on your car stereo.
So, yes you can play your music through your car stereo, while keeping the M1 charged from the USB port.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #2,088 of 3,480
I took the M1 out skiing. Very fluid and smooth sound. Started off with my old skull candy helmet audio. Got fed up and upgraded the helmet insert and audio brand. Good times

At night I have been using the M1 primarily with the Lz-a2. Did not want to take the flc8s along as I am still waiting on some filters.

Did I just see Joe Bloggs getting involved on behalf of Shanling? Very cool

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,089 of 3,480
I have been experimenting further with different IEM's and found that my q-Jays v2 sound outstanding and do not need any external amplification. Very clean and accurate sound. My guess is that the balanced armatures are easier for the M1 to drive than a larger dynamic driver. At any rate the great isolation, excellent sound and very tiny size make these my go-to phones for when I am out and about. ( I am using WestoneJa Star-Tips on the q-Jays)

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,092 of 3,480
Those interested in trying the M1 who live in US / Canada, join the group and you'll get a nice surprise :D

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAD661-sBTHs4A2YkFQ

This looks really interesting. I'm looking forward to more opinions on the M1. Small and portable, that is a good start.:thumbsup:

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,093 of 3,480
Finally had the chance to audition the M1 earlier today.
Using my Noble Savants, I found the sound quite enjoyable. Definitely worth the price.
What I've heard with the M1 was the mid-lows were a bit dominant compared to the other freq (it helped the savants btw haha). I also felt that the way it is presenting the mid-highs were not as natural as I'd like. It sounded a bit "stiff" (dont know the english term for this, not as smooth as I'd like) *require burn in???

All in all, really interested to get one.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,094 of 3,480
Somehow, with the latest firmware (1.12) it won't reliably establish a connection as DAC to a PC. It goes to USB-Mass-Storage, even when "DAC" is set in the options. I have to do a factory setting reset and then it connects as DAC. Then I can go on to use it as a player, but have to reset before connecting as DAC again. Anyone else experienced that?

Otherwise I actually like it a lot. Very neat little machine.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,096 of 3,480
Can anyone suggest a good but not too expensive small desktop amp for the m1, I am going to use a pair of wharfedale diamond 9s just for the bedroom?

Are you wanting to connect the analog output (2.5mm TRS) from the M1 to a Preamp Input on an Amp?
Or, are you wanting a DAC / Amp, where you'll connect the digital output from the M1, via USB, to the digital input on an Amp?

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2,097 of 3,480
Somehow, with the latest firmware (1.12) it won't reliably establish a connection as DAC to a PC. It goes to USB-Mass-Storage, even when "DAC" is set in the options. I have to do a factory setting reset and then it connects as DAC. Then I can go on to use it as a player, but have to reset before connecting as DAC again. Anyone else experienced that?

Otherwise I actually like it a lot. Very neat little machine.

did u try with another usb-c cable?
did u connect to the usb2.0 or 3.0ssd usb port on your pc?

mine is ok btw.
didnt notice the issue u encounter ed.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #2,099 of 3,480
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KBIV1WW?psc=1 a friend is using one of these with their fiio, anything better or will this be OK?

It's more the Wharfdales you need to buy an amp for than the M1 so we need to look at the speakers' requirements more. That said it looks like this amp will do fine for them. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back