Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jan 22, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #2,073 of 3,480
I haven't gotten a lot of use out of mine and am moving on to other projects (read: buying GI Joe toys), so I'm selling mine. It's complete, and also comes with the black case, armbands, yourcharger USB C cable, and a USB-C to micro-USB dongle. US shipping only. http://www.head-fi.org/t/833049/fs-complete-shanling-m1-dap-case-armbands-yourcharger-usb-c-mobile-cable 

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #2,074 of 3,480
Jan 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,075 of 3,480
I wouldn't use velcro when you could just use the stock case and strap in with the arm band hole with some amp rubber bands.

Digging it!!!

I haven't gotten a lot of use out of mine and am moving on to other projects (read: buying GI Joe toys), so I'm selling mine. It's complete, and also comes with the black case, armbands, yourcharger USB C cable, and a USB-C to micro-USB dongle. US shipping only. http://www.head-fi.org/t/833049/fs-complete-shanling-m1-dap-case-armbands-yourcharger-usb-c-mobile-cable 

That's interesting... Don't think I've seen that reason for selling a DAP before :rofl:

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #2,076 of 3,480
Bought one. Above all, this is a real bang for the buck! Low powered but still nice sounding when paired with easy to drive headphones or earplugs.

But. Despite it arrived sealed, there was a number of scratches on both plastic and metal frame. No sound issues though. Quality control could be better I believe.

Now, concerning the sound part. I'm on the latest FW v1.12, as of now. EQ algorithm appears to be really unpredictable. You can move bands back and forth and sound doesn't change. Or you move some band and hear that other bands change instead (maybe it's intelligent pre-amp logic). Really, this is the only concern with the player that I'd be happy to see resolved in the firmware soon. Parametric EQ would be ideal here.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2,077 of 3,480
I tried the Shanling M1 at Jaben in Melbourne. Wow, for the price, the M1 sounds very good. I've had the Sony Z1, IBasso DX50 and DX80 and to me the M1 was right up there sound wise to the DX50 and DX80. It was very tempting. Paired well with the 1More Triple Driver I tried it with and my Shure 846. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #2,078 of 3,480
  Bought one. Above all, this is a real bang for the buck! Low powered but still nice sounding when paired with easy to drive headphones or earplugs.

But. Despite it arrived sealed, there was a number of scratches on both plastic and metal frame. No sound issues though. Quality control could be better I believe.

Now, concerning the sound part. I'm on the latest FW v1.12, as of now. EQ algorithm appears to be really unpredictable. You can move bands back and forth and sound doesn't change. Or you move some band and hear that other bands change instead (maybe it's intelligent pre-amp logic). Really, this is the only concern with the player that I'd be happy to see resolved in the firmware soon. Parametric EQ would be ideal here.

There is certainly a delay in the EQ.  I haven't noticed issues your describing though.  It takes a few seconds after you adjust for it to work.  I like that I can EQ the mojo or even EQ a bluetooth speaker.  I like that I can adjust steps smaller than 1db at a time.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #2,079 of 3,480
Here is a rather poor quality phone pix of my M1 combo: M1 + Shozy Magic DAC/Amp + CA Vega.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,080 of 3,480
Here is a rather poor quality phone pix of my M1 combo: M1 + Shozy Magic DAC/Amp + CA Vega.

Probably the tiniest stack I've seen!

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,084 of 3,480
Hi, I'm using the ipod mini in my car but would like to upgrade for more space, the M1 seems like the perfect fit. 
The ipod is connected with the Fiio L11, AUX to my car radio and usb to recharge at the same time, Can i do that with the M1 ?

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,085 of 3,480
Wasn't aware the magic was that small. Might be smaller than RSA Shadow but most likely slightly larger.

I also owned the Shadow and I do think they are very similar in size. The Shozy might be a bit longer but is thinner. The advantage of the Magic, IMO, is that it contains a quality DAC and I can use my M1 strictly as a transport.
I have to say that the Magic is truly an amazing instrument given its miniscule size vs its overall excellent performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back