Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 26, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #5,656 of 6,413
I'm sorry to ask a very naive question. I like my M0 but hate that it's battery always empties itself, even when I don't use it.

Is there any way to really turn it off so that it keeps it charge for, let say, a week?

I press the wheel for 3 seconds and it turns off but, that's not sufficient.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #5,657 of 6,413
I know this thread is littered with comments about how the M0 software sucks, gapless playback doesn't work properly, it doesn't have replay gain or phone-remote-control features, etc., and I'm not here to defend that. I'm not in anyway affiliated with Shanling and I honestly don't care what DAP any of you buy next, but one thought - be careful what you wish for. I suspect one of the reasons why the M0 sounds good and measures well is precisely because it doesn't have all the cellular/WiFi radios and Android OS crap under the hood.

The concept of evaluating sound quality without listening to the item evaluated strains credulity in the same manner as determining the best performing luxury sports car for an individual without driving anything.

What strains credulity is asinine statements like this. So you'd be perfectly happy to accept a best-to-worst ranking from a reviewer who performs sighted tests without bothering to SPL match, who has a vested interest in keeping the free review units coming, who has different hearing than you, different headphones than you, different test tracks than you, different subjective priorities than you - yet a purely objective measure from an audio analyzer "strains credulity"?

Most people seem to have read the disclaimers, but since you didn't bother, I'll repeat myself. This was one particular test condition only (150 mV into 32 Ohm), and the devices have simply been ordered by one particular metric (diffrogram median), which might not be top priority for everybody, hence the ranking does not imply one device is universally better than another. I clearly stated this is still research. What it is, however, is objective, repeatable, and shows weaknesses with even the most expensive devices on certain aspects of the test vectors.

If you prefer, you can just mentally re-order these devices from most-to-least expensive. There you go. Now no part of your brain needs to be strained.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #5,659 of 6,413
I'm sorry to ask a very naive question. I like my M0 but hate that it's battery always empties itself, even when I don't use it.

Is there any way to really turn it off so that it keeps it charge for, let say, a week?

I don't have that problem. I'll leave it off for days at a time and it still has charge.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #5,660 of 6,413
CSGLinux; thank you so much for sharing this. Funny, I really had the Chord Mojo on my buy list. But then I picked up the Cayin N5II and the M0 and those sounded so darned good that I dropped the Mojo idea. Nice to see that measurements seem to back up what I am hearing on the M0. It am still amazed that a unit at this price point can sound so good As long as the units above the M0 sound as good or better then the M0 Shanling has a terrific formula.

Somebody asked about this as a DAC. I tried the M0 in a relatively tricky environment. Specifically, I feed an iphone wtih the Car Connecting Kit (latest generation) to the M0 and then to the car's audio jack. While the sound is good, I am picking up extraneous noises. I don't get those noises with the Shanling M2S. Now its true that the M0 in my opinion sounds a bit better than the M2S. The M2S is a bit warm and the M0 is much less so. But for some reason the M2S is not subject to those same noises in the same environment and configuration for the car. So I have gone with the M2S for the car. At home, with all of its small frustrations, I mainly use the Cayin N5II. So the M0 remains what it is designed to be; my portable hifi unit for exercise and traveling.

For traveling the LDAC into the latest generation Sony noise cancelling over the ear headphones are nice. The headphones are naturally way to bass heavy but there is an EQ option.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5,661 of 6,413
I know this thread is littered with comments about how the M0 software sucks, gapless playback doesn't work properly, it doesn't have replay gain or phone-remote-control features, etc., and I'm not here to defend that. I'm not in anyway affiliated with Shanling and I honestly don't care what DAP any of you buy next, but one thought - be careful what you wish for. I suspect one of the reasons why the M0 sounds good and measures well is precisely because it doesn't have all the cellular/WiFi radios and Android OS crap under the hood.

What strains credulity is asinine statements like this. So you'd be perfectly happy to accept a best-to-worst ranking from a reviewer who performs sighted tests without bothering to SPL match, who has a vested interest in keeping the free review units coming, who has different hearing than you, different headphones than you, different test tracks than you, different subjective priorities than you - yet a purely objective measure from an audio analyzer "strains credulity"?

Most people seem to have read the disclaimers, but since you didn't bother, I'll repeat myself. This was one particular test condition only (150 mV into 32 Ohm), and the devices have simply been ordered by one particular metric (diffrogram median), which might not be top priority for everybody, hence the ranking does not imply one device is universally better than another. I clearly stated this is still research. What it is, however, is objective, repeatable, and shows weaknesses with even the most expensive devices on certain aspects of the test vectors.

If you prefer, you can just mentally re-order these devices from most-to-least expensive. There you go. Now no part of your brain needs to be strained.

I just want to confirm you have actually listened to the devices in question. You have listened to them, right?

Oct 26, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #5,663 of 6,413
I think I'm going to define a new metric to objectively identify the dumbest question ever asked on headfi.

Sorry dude. Life's just too short to not add you to my ignore list.
Placebo can go with measurements as well. You think the numbers are great, therefore it should sound great. Expectation bias.

Have you had any gear you liked because what you heard was good? Doesn't it make sense for you to think something of good sound quality because you heard it sounding good? Or was it due to it measured good, and therefore convinced you that it should sound good? Or measured good, so therefore it must sound good, and anything else is just shunned out as 'subjective?'

Some food for thought.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #5,664 of 6,413
Well, if you look at the list of units that were tested they were all fine devices. That tells you that the device selection was not exactly random.

I can share with you all that I have been following the forums for a few years now and one thing I have learned is that there are a few people that develop an image in my mind that is very positive. CSGLINUX happens to be near the top of that list. I don't think he'd bother to show a positive test on a crap device without some kind of qualification. Something along the lines of "well you can't believe all test results". That certainly was not the headline in this case.

What was interesting was how well a good sounding device that is moderately priced tested when compared with much more expensive devices.

Picking a fight with him in this case seems rather silly and pointless. He is doing us all a favor by giving us something to think about and sharing some very interesting data. You are welcome to draw your own conclusions but I think his original post was on the subtle side.

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #5,665 of 6,413
Since this little player sounds so unbelievably well (the phrase: "Df-mesurements of Shanling M0 were checked several times. No mistake." says it all) it would be a shame to let it live on with this software. It deserves better.
That being said - an affordable awesomely good DAP with crappy software is still a lot better than a crappy sounding DAP with amazing software :smile_phones:

THIS. Nail. Head. Completely.

I now have AptX headphones, and even on my old AAC/SBC ones, I could hear a difference but definitely compared to the other 'cheap' DAPs I've tried, it's no contest. Original iPod is surprisingly close, cos I switch between those (lack of podcast/audioboook support is why I still carry both iPod Nano and M0) even though of course iPod is BT 4.0 and SBC, shows it's not all just about codecs.

Crash on USB disconnect? Check!
Freeze on many files? Check!. (use playlists or folders, the internal library is crap over a few thousand files, I have like 14-17,000 and it chokes quite regularly)
Update quitting on like 50 or 100, so you have to try again? Check!
Weird USB disconnects and slowdowns - Check! (might be cable but I don't think so - and using the card in a USB reader is fine and I check the card regularly with ex_fat)
Random crashes and BT disconnects (rare now I don't use the internal library but Check!)

But it's small and the sound is ace. Some might get upset with the foibles, but really, there is nothing this small and nothing with all those formats that streams M4A/AAC, FLAC etc over BT with AAC and AptX et al at this price level AND sounds so good. Hence why I am still here and still using it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #5,666 of 6,413

Fair point, I could have been more clear about which part of the software I meant.

The Linux operating system is completely fine for me. It is fast and does all I want. I have no interest in streaming and the overhead of something like Android would add no value for me.

What I meant is the actual music player program we interact with. The curious gapless, lack of replaygain, the needlessly big icons in file lists and some other design choices, not having the music database on the sd card etc.

All relatively small things that could be improved without affecting the sound quality.

But perhaps these are just personal preferences not shared by the majority of M0 owners.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #5,668 of 6,413

Make sure to turn off bluetooth if you're not using - i had mine paired to my phone to receive (using the M0 as a bluetooth headphone amp) and it kept reconnecting to my phone and killed battery in no time.
I turn it on and off when i need now (bluetooth) and i have normal usage

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #5,669 of 6,413
I'm sorry to say I have the Bluetooth off already. Do you have the auto-off set (powers it off when unused for more than 5 minutes. Power off, not sleep ). May be this it? This would be counter intuitive but who knows...

Thanks to CSG Linux for the test. Placebo effect + expectation bias +personal taste make human evaluation poorly reproducible and tit often does not translate to other folks. Physical measures are just the most universal information we can gather. This does not mean that the best numbers define the best player for you, your headphone and your favorite FLAC because your tastes may bias you to basses or small flashy players or whatever you like... Physical measurements are nice because they give a 'free of human bias' high fidelity centered evaluation. If all your chain is HiFi, then what get's in, get's out. And you may prefer a non HiFi chain depending on your tastes... It's OK. We know.

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #5,670 of 6,413
I, too, love my M0 - but I don't get on well with the small screen. I wish they'd make a remote control app for a smartphone but I suppose it's unlikely, with the apparent move to Android based systems.

Android move is possible with high-end devices with big screens, we have no intentions to move Android into future devices in class of M0. MTouch is here to stay with us for some time.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back