Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 28, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #5,193 of 6,413
I wouldn't use it unless/until it has a new FW number
Oh, I got bored of waiting and just risked using the file from google drive, hahaha.
Update went smoothly using the black colored theme, but maybe I just had good luck.

Update.bin and firmware notes had different times as last modified, so maybe it's really fixed, IDK.
My PC is using Spanish timezone so actual time may look different on another computer.

Gotta say EQ is pretty sweet, new-ish UI looks nice.

Might be a time zone thing, I'm in EDT.

So 5:44AM ET for me on that .bin file, but the replies here went past 6AM ET. Assuming the support team is ~10 hours ahead of my time zone I'm guessing we won't hear anything for at least a few more hours.

Still holding off only given that there's no way to unbrick the device (yet), don't want to risk it.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #5,194 of 6,413
I have 2 M0s, both using the white theme. My download time via the google link was 6:23 AM central time 6/28/19. I updated both of mine within 5 minutes of the download and both are operating normally. I've only noticed that the new "LO" display at the top of the screen is only displayed in settings mode and not on the now playing screen (kinda defeats the purpose).

May 28, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #5,195 of 6,413
Well...I'm not 100% sure (and I cannot check anymore) but I think I was using the "black" theme, not the white one. I hope there is still some way to chat with the M0.

As far as we know, only units running white theme was affected, at least that's what feedback we got and what we confirmed in testing.

FW3.0 is fixed now? Looking into downloading it right now.
Please confirm.

Moment I posted that comment yesterday, new corrected firmware was already posted, all previous versions already deleted from internet.

30 minutes difference(time of firmware and my post) was there, as whole office was running around and testing updates on all themes, all setting, etc.

I have 2 M0s, both using the white theme. My download time via the google link was 6:23 AM central time 6/28/19. I updated both of mine within 5 minutes of the download and both are operating normally. I've only noticed that the new "LO" display at the top of the screen is only displayed in settings mode and not on the now playing screen (kinda defeats the purpose).

That's idea of our designers, they want now playback screen clean of all info. So Status bar is only visible once you are in some of the submenus.

For anybody affected, please contact me in PM.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 28, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #5,197 of 6,413
@Shanling Frankie - any news or update with regards to audiobook / podcast support?
I am still optimistic........ (and hopeful)

May 29, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #5,201 of 6,413
Shanling M0 is ready, bringing custom EQ
If we add in the equalizer the output of the current numerical value for each band, the convenience of tuning will increase by several times.
When adjusting, the setting slider is completely closed with a finger and it is impossible to see whether a change has occurred or not.
Move to a small value in the right direction is now almost impossible.
It is impossible even visually to determine by eye whether the point has shifted down or to the top.
Outputting the current value will make everything much more convenient.

screenshot:
eq1.png

May 29, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #5,203 of 6,413
I'm liking this 3.0 update!

The main menu definitely feels snappier;part of it is probably the removal of the animation. The quick access menu is a great addition and I'm happy shanling released an adjustable 10 band EQ.

After using it for a bit, I have some issues/suggestions:
-This is subjective, but the bluetooth screen animation looks a little too "extra". I think the charging screen animation is the right amount of animation.

-I also think it would be nice to be able to bring up the quick access menu from any screen. It would be nice to be able to change to bluetooth/change brightness on the music screen instead of having to go back to the main menu to do it. The play/pause/skip and shuffle parts would be redundant but being able to bring it up on any screen would be a QoL improvement.

-Finally, I would like a pre amp to the EQ. Raising any part of the 10 band eq brings noticeable distortion and adjusting by lowering everything else is cumbersome. Also adding a number value to how many db you +/- would be nice.

At the end of the day, I'm very happy that Shanling is still actively pushing updates for the M0! When I bought it I didn't even expect to get software updates so everything new feels like a nice bonus.

May 29, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #5,204 of 6,413
-Finally, I would like a pre amp to the EQ. Raising any part of the 10 band eq brings noticeable distortion and adjusting by lowering everything else is cumbersome. Also adding a number value to how many db you +/- would be nice.

There was a debate about this on HeadFi. Apparently for digital EQ the correct way to EQ is to cut the unwanted frequencies and turn up the overall volume.

I can't really comment though as generally I don't use EQ. :)

May 29, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #5,205 of 6,413
That's idea of our designers, they want now playback screen clean of all info. So Status bar is only visible once you are in some of the submenus.

What is the point of showing that the player in "line out" mode if you can't see it on the now playing display where the play,pause,next, previous, playback mode and favorites can be seen? You still have to exit that screen to see the status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back