Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Apr 21, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #5,011 of 6,413
How is the battery life for this device btw?

Apr 21, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #5,012 of 6,413
Hi guys,

Last FW update was great! Spent some easter time customizing my M0.
  • Changed the wrist strap I had done earlier on for a much shorter nicer one. Used a leather bracelet I had and some metal beads. Still can grab the player placing some fingers through the strap and feels much safer as not to drop it.
  • bought it one of those magnetic usb cables.Made it a leather strip to make it easier to pull out the connector out if needed.
  • Modified some crappy plastic box originally intended to use for jewellry, and covered it with leather to use as a carry on for the M0. I was goint to buy the Shanling C2 original box, but it was PU and was feeling like going with leather because I'm not a fan of PU material.

IMG_20190421_171531.jpg IMG_20190421_172347.jpg IMG_20190421_172414.jpg IMG_20190421_172440.jpg IMG_20190421_172614.jpg IMG_20190421_172702.jpg IMG_20190421_172759.jpg IMG_20190421_172932.jpg IMG_20190421_173000.jpg

Also took some vinyl disc wallpapers and made a couple lockscreen images. they look pretty cool so I'm sharing them here. Images were not created by me, I just cropped them and resized them. Can't remember where I downloaded them from, got them a long time ago. I'm using the 1st one in the pictures above.
Can't really read the labels anymore but they were actually the following discs:

1. The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers
  2. AC/DC's Back in black
  3. MJ's Thriller

Disc#1.jpg Disc#2.jpg Disc#3.jpg

Cheers, and let's keep the awesome firmware updates coming, haha.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #5,014 of 6,413
Thanks for the reply. I found an adapter like this this but I'm in Europe and the price gets closer to $40 after customs etc.. And I'm electronically challenged so while it might be easy to make one, not for me unfortunately.
@BabyLamb89 that's a lot of customs. Does anyone make similar adapters on your side of the pond? Perhaps a friend could solder one up for you. You are correct that a lot of music is being lost without the conversion.

It would be work, but it should be possible to convert to mono and save in JRiver or Fubar2000.

Either way,
Happy listening.

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #5,015 of 6,413
@BabyLamb89 that's a lot of customs. Does anyone make similar adapters on your side of the pond? Perhaps a friend could solder one up for you. You are correct that a lot of music is being lost without the conversion.

It would be work, but it should be possible to convert to mono and save in JRiver or Fubar2000.

Either way,
Happy listening.

I can (and have started to) convert my library to mono, but I'm slightly worried that re-encoding, even at the same bitrate, will compromise quality, and after spending a few weekends re-ripping all my CDs to FLAC (an upgrade from crappy WMA files from over 10 years ago) I don't want to lose that quality again.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone that offers that service around here or of anywhere that could solder one, or even what to ask for. It doesn't seem like a straight stereo-to-mono adapter but more a stereo-to-dual-channel-mono adapter. (At which point I search for stereo-to-dual-mono but that is not the right thing either.)

Thanks for the help though, and listening is always happy, even at half-strength :L3000:

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #5,017 of 6,413
You can automate that conversion if you use MediaMonkey.

I have a "stereo to mono" profile set up in Foobar. It's just a case of running it on my newest stuff and then replacing everything on my m0's SD card, but thanks.

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #5,019 of 6,413
I can (and have started to) convert my library to mono, but I'm slightly worried that re-encoding, even at the same bitrate, will compromise quality, and after spending a few weekends re-ripping all my CDs to FLAC (an upgrade from crappy WMA files from over 10 years ago) I don't want to lose that quality again.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone that offers that service around here or of anywhere that could solder one, or even what to ask for. It doesn't seem like a straight stereo-to-mono adapter but more a stereo-to-dual-channel-mono adapter. (At which point I search for stereo-to-dual-mono but that is not the right thing either.)

Thanks for the help though, and listening is always happy, even at half-strength :L3000:

Just to protect the L+ and R+ amplifier channels from being shorted directly together - a pair of 32Ω resistors can be used to combine L+ and R+ into a single mono signal.
L+ ---/\/\/----┐
...................├------ Mono Output
R+ ---/\/\/----┘

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #5,020 of 6,413
Upgraded to 2.5 a few days back (like the clock feature btw) -- but the USB transfer speeds to my microSD, via the player, have dropped to ~500 KB/s on average.

Anyone else having this issue? I already tried a reset but no dice, going to drop this back to 2.4 to see what happens. [EDIT] and 2.4 has the same problem...looks like it's my microSD and not the device, although the card works fine outside of the player. But another card is fine on the player so I'll just reformat and see what that leads.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #5,021 of 6,413
Just to protect the L+ and R+ amplifier channels from being shorted directly together - a pair of 32Ω resistors can be used to combine L+ and R+ into a single mono signal.
L+ ---/\/\/----┐
...................├------ Mono Output
R+ ---/\/\/----┘

Even that sounds beyond me, I'm afraid. Thanks.

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #5,022 of 6,413
I use the dark theme and I like the new random thumbnail - except that some of them are super white and burn my eyes at night.
That's really annoying for me too, makes me wonder how easy it would be to make a custom rom with only dark images.
In the past Shanling released a "theming tool" used to unpack and repack the firmware update so you can replace images. But that was for other players, I don't think we have such a thing for the M0.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #5,023 of 6,413
Wi-Fi? Are you sure?

Nice job on the new features. Are these trickle-down benefits from developments on your other players?

Sorry, mistake when editing firmware notes.

Our players share the system, we try to develop new features to be compatible with all of them. They might come first on higher players, but should get on M0 soon after. This was one example of such functions.

I don't know if has been asnwered previously, but I'm missing something or is it really necessary each time I add files and I update the library it updated from the ground?, I mean usually when a library is updated, normally takes less time and It updates only the new files, not all the files again.

Unfortunately file update is set this way, creating whole database from scratch.

With the new 2.5 firmware using m0 as usb dac and bluetooth (wh-1000xm2) headphones connected i had issues after like 15-20 minutes music theres no more sound i can hear. I have to unplug and plug m0- back ,then its working again. Will keep testing

Thank you for reporting this.

Anybody else having same experience?

Hi Shanling, will custom EQ come soon? I know the screen is small but it will be very interesting if you can support parametric eq. To fit on the small screen, one way is to tap on the frequency e.g. 2khz in the EQ interface opens a new page for you to choose the frequency you want. PEQ is so far the only feature I miss after using a V30, since I don't have many MQA files.

2 questions/suggestions too:
1) Possible to have a random lockscreen option? I think the album art pics you preloaded for files without art look good enough to rotate as wallpaper/
2) Is it possible to make the OS more responsive to right swipe to go back? I've not tried earlier OS versions and installed 2.5 once I got my M0 but i find the M0 doesn't register my right swipes often.

Still in search for ideal EQ system. One that was introduced on M5s showed to be not sufficient for heavy EQ use.

Is this feature avaiable in M0 yet ? thank

Yes, BT to USB output was implemented in firmware 2.5.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 22, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #5,024 of 6,413
Even that sounds beyond me, I'm afraid. Thanks.

What about a 3.5mm stereo to mono adapter? If you plugin a stereo jack, it might come out mono as the mono connection will contact both L and R. (I know for all you audio geeks out there it's not 'true' mono, it's basically the same channel left and right, but for practical purposes it'll work).
Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107160-Stereo-Adaptor-Plated/dp/B001RCZ14U - you might have phasing issues, and sound like it might still (all) come out one channel according to reviews, the left apparently.

(Actually just remembered from my old recording days, if you THEN combine it with the reverse, a mono > stereo adapter, it should come out on both channels - still might sound odd due to phasing but you will get the same mono signal on L & R).

The other thing I guess is modding your headphones/cable? Or find a device or switch that might do stereo/mono, I have a suspicion for video sound there might be such a thing.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #5,025 of 6,413
What about a 3.5mm stereo to mono adapter? If you plugin a stereo jack, it might come out mono as the mono connection will contact both L and R. (I know for all you audio geeks out there it's not 'true' mono, it's basically the same channel left and right, but for practical purposes it'll work).
Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107160-Stereo-Adaptor-Plated/dp/B001RCZ14U - you might have phasing issues, and sound like it might still (all) come out one channel according to reviews, the left apparently.

(Actually just remembered from my old recording days, if you THEN combine it with the reverse, a mono > stereo adapter, it should come out on both channels - still might sound odd due to phasing but you will get the same mono signal on L & R).

The other thing I guess is modding your headphones/cable? Or find a device or switch that might do stereo/mono, I have a suspicion for video sound there might be such a thing.

I found those jacks but it's my left ear that doesn't work so then I have to reverse all my cables, plus the reviews are hit and miss.

Is there no cable that can mix stereo to mono and then up mix that mono to "stereo"? That's exactly what I want, just from Europe instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back