Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #4,638 of 6,413
My review on Shanling M0 is live now!

I think it is pretty much one of the best price/performance ratio DAPs available on the market. My fat fingers aren't doing so well with the tiny display, but it has a great sound for such a small size :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/02/ultra-portable-good-sound-shanling-m0-review.html

Shanling-M0-Player-DAP-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-32.jpg

Shanling-M0-Player-DAP-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-26.jpg

Shanling-M0-Player-DAP-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-27.jpg

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #4,639 of 6,413
Feb 10, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #4,640 of 6,413
I love the light blue IEMs in your review... which ones were they? I looked up all the ones mentioned and found none in colors other than black or silver. Thanks!

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #4,641 of 6,413
George;

Nice review. I agree that the unit actually has a slightly better sound signature than the M2S. But the M2S is much easier to use as a car source for me. So I take the M0 when travelling; use the M2S in my car, and the Cayin N5II for home use. I use all my units primarily with FLC units (8S and 8D) and these are a great match with the unit. I also use the M0 with the ibasso IT-01 (also great) and sometimes my old, trusty LZ-A2.

I did check out the M0 with the Sony headhones with LDAC. Normally I detest bluetooth sound; but LDAC is much better and because of the noise reduction there was some attraction to the Sony unit. I will probably end up owning the next generation of LDAC headphones based on this experience.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #4,642 of 6,413
I don't generally use the M0 as a DAC, but just checked my Windows 10 build 1809 system (using the M0 USB driver INF) and it is working (USB/DAC both). I'm on firmware 2.3.

Hello,
do you have a link or advice, where to get the M0 USB driver INF?
I have no luck with googling and still don't see proper device in Windows.
Thank you.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #4,643 of 6,413
Hello,
do you have a link or advice, where to get the M0 USB driver INF?
I have no luck with googling and still don't see proper device in Windows.
Thank you.
First page. Post #3. Last line.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #4,647 of 6,413
The built-in EQ is not that bad after all.
I could not find any that would sound good with MEE P1 or KSC75, but with the Beyerdynamic DT150 the "Soft" preset sounds great!
While the preset name would suggest reduce treble, it actually applies a nice V-shape filter.

I like the increased treble, it's a significant increase but still not too much.
The gentle increase in sub-bass is welcome too.

Overall, DT150 are much more fun to listen to with this.

On a side note, most presets sound just bad. I have no idea what kind of music or headphone would actually benefit from them.
"Heaphones" is a similar V-shape to "Soft" but with midrange recessed too far (on P1) and less treble boost.
"Soft Rock" is similar to soft, but with noticeable treble reduction and some midrange recession.
"Party" increases sub-bass and the highest octave more than "Soft", but on Mee P1 the bass becomes a bit boomy and unpleasant and the increase in treble volume seems to be limited to a narrower frequency range, which is irritating.
"Rock" is similar to "soft", but it accentuates frequencies differently in the midrange and treble area - not unpleasant to listen to, but IMO changes the sound too much.

Does anybody experience any other nice sounding combinations of EQ and headphones for the M0?

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #4,648 of 6,413
Is it possible to use Shanling M0 in this way: Smartphone with Tidal -> LDAC -> Shanling -> USB Transport to external DAC ? I was pretty unsuccessful to work it like this. Thanks for any advice.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #4,649 of 6,413
Can M0 be used as a USB DAC? If yes, how does it compare against the Dragonfly Red sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back