Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #4,157 of 6,413
Gapless isn't perfect on the m0. There is a slight glitch between tracks and the timing is thrown off slightly but noticeably. My tracks are ripped perfectly gapless by foobar and play fine on my phones and other gapless enabled players. Any chance of a fix?
Not hearing it here. What format are you using? FLACS are perfectly gapless here. There is no gap and there is no glitch.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #4,158 of 6,413
I have two M0s, one bought months back and a newer one given as a Christmas present to me just recently. The new one is running 2.3 and the older one 2.2 firmware. There are physical differences between the two, the newer having a darker Titanium color than the other and the corners a bit more angular. That's not where the differences end, though. I've noticed the newer one having more muddled sound than the first. I've done a comparison between the two using the same music files and with the same headphones. The newer one has more bass but simultaneously more congested as well.

Is the sonical differences that I'm hearing due to firmware, burn in-related or did you alter the sound signature with newer M0s? The difference is pretty obvious. I must say I like the older revision's sound characteristics a lot more. The newer one sounds considerably more congested as I stated before. Will burn-in help some? :triportsad:
Try again after the new one has been used for a couple of hundred hours.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #4,160 of 6,413
Not hearing it here. What format are you using? FLACS are perfectly gapless here. There is no gap and there is no glitch.
I can confirm it. Using FLAC files. Sometimes new song starts from the end of the previous one on the album, sometimes it starts few seconds later from the actual start of the song.
Listening mostly whole library in shuffle mode, so it very noticable when such things happens.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #4,161 of 6,413
I can confirm it. Using FLAC files. Sometimes new song starts from the end of the previous one on the album, sometimes it starts few seconds later from the actual start of the song.
Listening mostly whole library in shuffle mode, so it very noticable when such things happens.
I have quite a few DJ mixed albums and the slight glitch and timing difference is noticeable because rhythm and timing are very important in dance music.

Dec 30, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #4,162 of 6,413
Am I the only one who thinks that 2.3 is worse than 2.2 in SQ ? I discovered this after I had found out that Spotify through LDAC sounded better than MP3 320kbps played in M0 directly, sound was something like harsh. I don't know why... changes in SQ wasn't mentioned in 2.3 update. I downgraded back to 2.2 and everything is like was beforehand. Another problem is that volume balance doesn't work in FLAC files - but only the left channel has this problem, right channel works OK.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #4,163 of 6,413
The time on mine has gotten out of sync at least twice - not sure yet why as I only really notice it when I'm in the gym (I use the device to track the time, while I'm there).

Could very well be battery related, where dead battery = time gets out of whack. Easy enough fix though.

Well, if it's got no power, what's suppose to keep the clock running?

What I have noticed, though, is that the RTC on mine isn't as accurate as a quartz clock should be (especially for audio purposes), gaining at least a second per day. I've got 2 automatic Seikos that have roughly the same accuracy

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #4,164 of 6,413
Gapless doesn't apply in shuffle mode. It only works when playing an album in the correct order.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #4,166 of 6,413

What I have noticed, though, is that the RTC on mine isn't as accurate as a quartz clock should be (especially for audio purposes), gaining at least a second per day. I've got 2 automatic Seikos that have roughly the same accuracy

OT - I've got a couple of Nikon DSLRs (D7100 & D7200), and I noticed that over the last 10 months, since I last synchronized them, the clock in the D7100 had drifted ~2 minutes slow, and the D7200 had drifted ~2 minutes fast.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #4,167 of 6,413
Try again after the new one has been used for a couple of hundred hours.
I think they may have tinkered with the SQ with the 2.3 update. Sound is noticeably worse than with 2.2.

@Shanling Please undo the sound revisions!

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #4,168 of 6,413
Reverted back to 2.2 on my newer M0 player and I'll tell you guys later after using it a couple hours the differences I hear...

1st impressions though: the newer one is still a bit bassier than the older one with firmware 2.2. Maybe burn in will help some...We'll see..

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #4,169 of 6,413

I've noticed that also - when running for awhile, the time does drift a bit.

As for it getting super out-of-whack with a dead battery, probably just something I'm unaccustomed to between small batteries keeping time in our tablet / laptops even when the main battery dies. And then for other devices that the time generally re-syncs care of Wifi, which of course wouldn't be the case with the M0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back