Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 12, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #2,536 of 6,413
This really depends on what earphones you use, what amount of bass you need, and in what environment you listen to music (e.g. you need more bass in the subway because of the low frequency noise level).

But it's true that a bright source like M0 paired with bright sounding earphones like Ety ER4 will leave you wanting more bass. On the other hand, I'm so attached to the mids of ER4 that I'm unlikely to switch to anything else. So I'm currently wired to my Huawei Mate 10 Pro, whose sound settings have a rather nicely implemented bass boost feature, waiting for something similar to be available in the M0.

I have thus far been inclined to think that custom digital equalization on top of what comes out of your source results in reduced fidelity to the original material, but I don't think I know what it means anymore, since your perception can be altered by so many factors like earphones, ambient noise nature/level and even time of the day for God's sake. So yes, I'm confident that M0 should have an elaborate custom EQ and/or a bass boost setting to make it a truly universal source.

Yes your absolutely right about Etymotics, they are really bass light. But most iems and cans are going to have a very satisfying bass response as there seems to be a tiny bass spike and a tiny treble spike to give it that more exciting sound but it still doesn’t stray too far from neutral.

I’m not anti Eq and love the Sony and Cowon EQs but my current phones have a good synergy with M0, that’s why I said ‘personally’. The M0 isn’t bass lite by any means is actually what I was getting at. And reallt I do believe a custom EQ is on its way :wink:

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #2,537 of 6,413
Now I figured out why last track is not remembered on my device, Shanling M0 does not work correctly with exFAT formatted mictoSD drive. With FAT32 everything is OK.

If there is Shanling representative on the forum, please correct the problem of the otherwise amazing product.

Ive had a 400gb Sandisk formatted with EXFAT from day one and no problems.
Usually it's the formatting of the SD card thats the problem.
Use this formating app
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

format fully and you will not have problems.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,541 of 6,413
Hey @Shanling

When are you guys releasing your flagship, i read somewhere that it will be launched at the end of august. Would you like to shed some light on this.

If its an Android device I'm out . Had so many of them and always a disappointment.
Look at the Ibasso DX150. Still watch HBB swiping several times on his vids.
The R6 was almost there but let done by Wifi.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #2,542 of 6,413
How does this unit compare with the sony nw a45?

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #2,543 of 6,413
How does this unit compare with the sony nw a45?

I’m assuming you mean sound. Both are really nice units with very similar features, although the A45 has better battery life but less power than M0. The interface is easier to navigate on the A45, but after some use the M0 ui becomes second nature, it just has a lot less screen area to work with.

Sound, well the M0 is more neutral and has more detail and the A45 is warmer and more rich ‘fuller’ sounding and has a flatter but slightly wider soundstage. I just personally like both but use the M0 more because I like the sound sig of it better and it sounds better in my vehicle. Both have LDAC, and Sony has aptx hd and a custom Eq and various nice dsp effects.

I’m pretty sure Shanling will be adding hiby link like software and a custom Eq in future firmware.

Hope this helped.

Oh and there are more detailed sound comparisons in the thread if you do a search. I didn’t go into great detail because people freaked out about mentioning the A45 and being off topic - although every dap thread from the beginning that I’ve read or been a part of has had comparisons in it with other daps.

Especially when there isn’t much that hasn’t been covered already about the dap being covered and no new news is coming down the pike so to speak.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #2,544 of 6,413
I’m assuming you mean sound. Both are really nice units with very similar features, although the A45 has better battery life but less power than M0. The interface is easier to navigate on the A45, but after some use the M0 ui becomes second nature, it just has a lot less screen area to work with.

Sound, well the M0 is more neutral and has more detail and the A45 is warmer and more rich ‘fuller’ sounding and has a flatter but slightly wider soundstage. I just personally like both but use the M0 more because I like the sound sig of it better and it sounds better in my vehicle. Both have LDAC, and Sony has aptx hd and a custom Eq and various nice dsp effects.

I’m pretty sure Shanling will be adding hiby link like software and a custom Eq in future firmware.

Hope this helped.

Oh and there are more detailed sound comparisons in the thread if you do a search. I didn’t go into great detail because people freaked out about mentioning the A45 and being off topic - although every dap thread from the beginning that I’ve read or been a part of has had comparisons in it with other daps.

Especially when there isn’t much that hasn’t been covered already about the dap being covered and no new news is coming down the pike so to speak.

I think there should be no problem with comparing Dap to Dap in a thread as long as it's comparing the main threads item.e.g M0.
It's what we all want to know and hear.
Thanks for the info.
Tempted but I'm not going for the A45 as I have kept my R3.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,545 of 6,413
I think there should be no problem with comparing Dap to Dap in a thread as long as it's comparing the main threads item.e.g M0.
It's what we all want to know and hear.
Thanks for the info.
Tempted but I'm not going for the A45 as I have kept my R3.

Yeah I always like comparisons, and it’s not like you should start a thread for everyone of them. Like you could ask about M0 vs plenue d or Cayin n3 or Fiio xiii , or even hiby R3. Btw I kind of miss that beautiful screen of the R3 :) I don’t see any advantages that the a45 would have over it- especially with the balanced out. I should visit that thread and see if they ever got LDAC support.

I have a feeling the next Shanling is going to be similar to R3, but maybe not Android :wink: which would be really cool. Of course I could be dead wrong but I would love to see another smallish Shanling with touch screen and more power and balanced out.

Oh and Shanling, can you work on improving the accuracy of the M0’s battery meter. It’s way off lol.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #2,547 of 6,413
the reason I asked for the comparison is because I love the sony a45 its my first dap I just got It, the controls are nice, build is also nice, the sound is beautiful paired with my vmoda wireless 2. the one thing that is killing me is the proprietary cable from sony to transfer music and charge the unit, its a real bummer. so I might looking into another player...

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #2,548 of 6,413
the reason I asked for the comparison is because I love the sony a45 its my first dap I just got It, the controls are nice, build is also nice, the sound is beautiful paired with my vmoda wireless 2. the one thing that is killing me is the proprietary cable from sony to transfer music and charge the unit, its a real bummer. so I might looking into another player...
There is no need to use the cable for transferring music. The fastest way is to just use a computer and a SD card reader. The trick with Sony DAPs is to create one folder just called MUSIC and put all your music files there and all Sony DAPs (and countless other brands I have) will have no problem reading the files.

As for the cable, as others have indicated, just get the couple of dollar ones from somewhere like AliExpress. They work perfectly fine and since they are so cheap, just buy a few and scatter them through your house, office/school, gym, car, backpack, etc etc.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,549 of 6,413
Yeah I always like comparisons, and it’s not like you should start a thread for everyone of them. Like you could ask about M0 vs plenue d or Cayin n3 or Fiio xiii , or even hiby R3. Btw I kind of miss that beautiful screen of the R3 :) I don’t see any advantages that the a45 would have over it- especially with the balanced out. I should visit that thread and see if they ever got LDAC support.

I have a feeling the next Shanling is going to be similar to R3, but maybe not Android :wink: which would be really cool. Of course I could be dead wrong but I would love to see another smallish Shanling with touch screen and more power and balanced out.

Oh and Shanling, can you work on improving the accuracy of the M0’s battery meter. It’s way off lol.

I think were on the same view of how Shanling should go in the next Dap but I get the feeling they want to venture into the Android side.
I find the R3 thinner but more defined in sound. The bluetooth seems better when transfering to my bluetooth speakers. Especially the bose types.
If they do have LDAC then that hopefully should improve it further.
Thing is Sony is such a bugger when it comes to sharing tech an I'm sort of feeling that LDAC in all these non Sony devices dont have full function.

Anyway. Shanling we want a larger brother of the M0 with better screen,battery life,buttons on the side, recessed volume control in a M1 sized package.

They have all the stuff already done so it should be a quicky :)

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,550 of 6,413
Anyone use with KSC75?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back