Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 23, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #6,376 of 6,413
Windows laptop? Can you provide the steps you take to get this working please?
Sure. :)

Go into the menu of th M0, turn on BT, then (because I have already paired the Deva with the M0) just turn on the BT of the Deva. Once it connects, then just plug the cable from the (windows) PC to the M0, and start playback... For me it was that simple. I will try this same procedure with a pair of TWS (just to make sure it works with those too).

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #6,377 of 6,413
Sure. :)

Go into the menu of th M0, turn on BT, then (because I have already paired the Deva with the M0) just turn on the BT of the Deva. Once it connects, then just plug the cable from the (windows) PC to the M0, and start playback... For me it was that simple. I will try this same procedure with a pair of TWS (just to make sure it works with those too).
I’ll try it on windows might be a windows thing only. How about from your phone if you use the m0 as a dac>BT?

I appreciate your help than you

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #6,378 of 6,413
I’ll try it on windows might be a windows thing only. How about from your phone if you use the m0 as a dac>BT?

I will give it a try on my phone and see how it goes.

And it's no problem... :)

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #6,379 of 6,413
If you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason that you don't just use BT out directly from your phone?

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #6,382 of 6,413

Ok, so I have tried it with my (Windows) PC, and two different (android) phones with success with each one. I don't have a Mac or iPhone to test with, but I pulled out my old iPod Touch. Now I don't know about Mac (or what is going on with it), but with the iPod (most likely with any IOS device) you need an OTG adapter to use it; it was the same with my android phones. In other words you can't go from USB-C to Lightning or USB-C between mobile devices. You may or may not already have this in place, but just throwing ideas out there. Otherwise (the M0) simply tries to charge the device you are connecting to.

Think of the OTG adapter as a traffic director. It tells the phone to send data out, rather than let it come in. And since you can't charge the phone (incoming) at the same time you send data out (outgoing) that is the reason there is a need to have it in place.... If you already knew this, then disregard the above information, and please take no offense (as if you didn't already know). :)

As for the Mac, have you used the M0 as a DAC to it before? I can't recall if you have to install a specific driver for it to use the M0 with it or not, but all my other DAPs need one to work as a DAC on MacOS (but not Windows).

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #6,383 of 6,413
Ok, so I have tried it with my (Windows) PC, and two different (android) phones with success with each one. I don't have a Mac or iPhone to test with, but I pulled out my old iPod Touch. Now I don't know about Mac (or what is going on with it), but with the iPod (most likely with any IOS device) you need an OTG adapter to use it; it was the same with my android phones. In other words you can't go from USB-C to Lightning or USB-C between mobile devices. You may or may not already have this in place, but just throwing ideas out there. Otherwise (the M0) simply tries to charge the device you are connecting to.

Think of the OTG adapter as a traffic director. It tells the phone to send data out, rather than let it come in. And since you can't charge the phone (incoming) at the same time you send data out (outgoing) that is the reason there is a need to have it in place.... If you already knew this, then disregard the above information, and please take no offense (as if you didn't already know). :)

As for the Mac, have you used the M0 as a DAC to it before? I can't recall if you have to install a specific driver for it to use the M0 with it or not, but all my other DAPs need one to work as a DAC on MacOS (but not Windows).
Thanks for that. I have tried it with otg cable on my iPhone, no luck. Do you have macos? Maybe it’s a Mac thing but on mine normal dav mode works perfectly fine with no drivers or tinkering

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #6,384 of 6,413
Thanks for that. I have tried it with otg cable on my iPhone, no luck. Do you have macos? Maybe it’s a Mac thing but on mine normal dav mode works perfectly fine with no drivers or tinkering
I do not have MacOS... :frowning2: Maybe it IS a Mac thing. Have you tried this method before with any success?

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #6,386 of 6,413
I reckon it’s processing your playlist but your combo of files is making it slow. For example 39000 mp3s loads faster than 39000 flacs. If you wait long enough it will eventually parse the entire playlist, but maybe you can find a slightly more powerful player that can handle your needs.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #6,387 of 6,413
I'm due to upgrade my trusty 4+year old Samsung S10, probably I'll go for a S23. My main portable listening is with a Sony WM1Z but due to weight and cost it doesn't leave the house, so I have all my music loaded on an sdcard on my phone which I connect via bluetooth to a speaker in a work vehicle, but mostly my Sony Linkbuds S.
It seems streaming has influenced most mobile phone companies to ditch the external storage feature so with my choice of phone and price will be down to 128gb.
I just had a thought of getting a small dap as a solution, and these are smaller, and available in my country. I haven't had a chance to read the thread yet - would this be a decent option for playing mostly flac files from my sdcard using bluetooth to my Sony Linkbuds S? Are there any issues that may cause problems that may make another brand a better option?

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #6,388 of 6,413
I'm due to upgrade my trusty 4+year old Samsung S10, probably I'll go for a S23. My main portable listening is with a Sony WM1Z but due to weight and cost it doesn't leave the house, so I have all my music loaded on an sdcard on my phone which I connect via bluetooth to a speaker in a work vehicle, but mostly my Sony Linkbuds S.
It seems streaming has influenced most mobile phone companies to ditch the external storage feature so with my choice of phone and price will be down to 128gb.
I just had a thought of getting a small dap as a solution, and these are smaller, and available in my country. I haven't had a chance to read the thread yet - would this be a decent option for playing mostly flac files from my sdcard using bluetooth to my Sony Linkbuds S? Are there any issues that may cause problems that may make another brand a better option?

Shanling has upgraded the M0 to be the M0 Pro, which now has a 3.5mm 4-Pole Output -
https://www.amazon.com/SHANLING-M0-Pro-Portable-Bluetooth/dp/B0BPQTF39Q

To use the Balanced Output, an optional 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm TRRRS adapter cable is required -
https://www.amazon.com/SHANLING-Balanced-3-5mm-4-4mm-Portable-Earphones/dp/B0BPRSPN4V

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #6,389 of 6,413
Shanling has upgraded the M0 to be the M0 Pro, which now has a 3.5mm 4-Pole Output -
https://www.amazon.com/SHANLING-M0-Pro-Portable-Bluetooth/dp/B0BPQTF39Q

To use the Balanced Output, an optional 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm TRRRS adapter cable is required -
https://www.amazon.com/SHANLING-Balanced-3-5mm-4-4mm-Portable-Earphones/dp/B0BPRSPN4V
Thanks for the update. Typical for the Shanling distributor in my country to flog off old models at full price, they did that with the UP4.
I'll be using bluetooth only.

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #6,390 of 6,413
Hey, I have a similar question. My new phone doesn't support LDAC and I have a pair of bluetooth headphones that have LDAC support, something I really enjoyed before my old phone went the way of the dodo.

My question is, how does the M0 support transmitting over LDAC if the source doesn't support it? Can you use it as a USB DAC on Android and then stream LDAC? Or does the Bluetooth function simply as a data receiver and then transmit it out on any codec? If someone could enlighten me, I would really, really appreciate it.

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back