Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #6,181 of 6,413
Hi, does anyone use a Mac to manage their music library? I'm looking into how to sync a playlist of files from Mac to M0's microsd card. Currently on Windows and use MusicBee for that, but there is no musicbee for Mac. Thanks!
if you're not adverse to the command-line, rsync works fine:

rsync -amuv --iconv=utf-8-mac,utf-8-mac --modify-window=2 --no-p --del --include='*.mp3' --include='*/' --exclude='*' ~/Music/iTunes/'iTunes Music'/ /Volumes/'Shanling M0'/MUSIC/' rsync -av *.m3u8 /Volumes/'Shanling M0'/Playlists/

I use itunes on Mojave to manage my music. Catalina switched to the new Apple Music, which stores the files in a different directory, so you'll have to change it to wherever that is. And in itunes, it can be a hassle to export multiple playlists. I have to individually export each to m3u8 format, then modify the fully-qualified paths to something the M0 will accept (/Users/x//Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/song.mp3 -> ..\Music\song.mp3), then replace all the mac end of line characters with dos end of line characters; before copying it over to the M0.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #6,182 of 6,413
if you're not adverse to the command-line, rsync works fine:

rsync -amuv --iconv=utf-8-mac,utf-8-mac --modify-window=2 --no-p --del --include='*.mp3' --include='*/' --exclude='*' ~/Music/iTunes/'iTunes Music'/ /Volumes/'Shanling M0'/MUSIC/' rsync -av *.m3u8 /Volumes/'Shanling M0'/Playlists/

I use itunes on Mojave to manage my music. Catalina switched to the new Apple Music, which stores the files in a different directory, so you'll have to change it to wherever that is. And in itunes, it can be a hassle to export multiple playlists. I have to individually export each to m3u8 format, then modify the fully-qualified paths to something the M0 will accept (/Users/x//Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/song.mp3 -> ..\Music\song.mp3), then replace all the mac end of line characters with dos end of line characters; before copying it over to the M0.

Are DOS eol characters the same as Linux?
I know that the M0 runs a version of embedded Linux.

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #6,183 of 6,413
Are DOS eol characters the same as Linux?
I know that the M0 runs a version of embedded Linux.
DOS eol chars are carriage return + newline (\r\n). Mac eol char is just carriage return (\r). Linux/Unix eol char is just newline (\n).

It doesn't matter if the M0 runs linux. Most of their customers probably have PCs with windows, so that's why the SD card has to be formatted with a windows-compatible filesystem and why it's programmed to expect DOS eol chars. Search through this thread and you'll find that Mac users can't use the recommended method of importing user-created playlists because of an issue with the filesystem/_explaylist_data folder. It only works under windows.

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #6,184 of 6,413
Since this thread has so many responses, I'm going to ask this question here: If I want to rip my CDs into flac with information and album art readable by Shanling daps, which program do you recommend I use? My library is kind of a mess so I want to start fresh but it's so frustrating when album art doesn't show up or things are mis-tagged. What cd-ripping program (or music software) makes an easy to use (but accurate) "ecosystem" w Shanling daps?

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #6,185 of 6,413
Since this thread has so many responses, I'm going to ask this question here: If I want to rip my CDs into flac with information and album art readable by Shanling daps, which program do you recommend I use? My library is kind of a mess so I want to start fresh but it's so frustrating when album art doesn't show up or things are mis-tagged. What cd-ripping program (or music software) makes an easy to use (but accurate) "ecosystem" w Shanling daps?
dBpoweramp works perfectly.

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #6,187 of 6,413
You can convert the UNIX newlines that modern Mac programs create to DOS newlines with "sed 's/$/^M/' file.old > file.new", where "^M" is a literal "control m" character. You can type that on the command line using control-v control-m.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #6,188 of 6,413
Exact Audio Creator

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #6,189 of 6,413
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #6,190 of 6,413
Apr 7, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #6,191 of 6,413
Hi, does anyone use a Mac to manage their music library? I'm looking into how to sync a playlist of files from Mac to M0's microsd card. Currently on Windows and use MusicBee for that, but there is no musicbee for Mac. Thanks!
Sorry for the belated reply - but I use Dapper which you can find in the App Store. It's really good and works with iTunes, and you can create playlists it works from for those of us with massive libraries. Just setup as a generic DAP, you'll be fine.

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #6,192 of 6,413
For converting the CD's, see the posts above. Do not expect the tagging and cover art to be okay automatically.

Especially be careful with programs loading tags and artwork automatically. That does not always have the desired effects - even Spotify's artwork is a mess, for some reason they LOVE compilation albums and your original artwork might very well be replaced with some "the very best of...." cover.

For tagging and cover art, I recommend mp3tag. It is freeware, extremely powerful and with it you can solve every issue with art and tagging that can occur in the M0. It happily adds tags and art to WAV and FLAC, and almost all other file formats. You can also automatically shrink artwork that is too big for the M0.
Make sure to add cover art that is square (not rectangular) with maximum size 950x950 pixels, and .jpg format. Do not use .png files.
Make sure you save your cover art with the tagname "front cover" and NOT something else like "cover", "artwork", or "other".
Make sure every file has one single picture as artwork and not 2 or more.
A great source for (freely downloadable) original artwork is DisCogs.

By all means avoid any contact of your audio files with iTunes! iTunes tends to mess with tags and cover art, without warning. It also spams your files with iTunes related tags when you change certain settings in iTunes. Just opening iTunes and loading your library can cause issues with your M0. If you HAVE to open iTunes, please make sure it does not autoconvert your audio to lossy AAC format, or "helps" you by "getting the info of your music on the internet" - that will most certainly make a huge mess of your tags.

Success!

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #6,194 of 6,413
You can convert the UNIX newlines that modern Mac programs create to DOS newlines with "sed 's/$/^M/' file.old > file.new", where "^M" is a literal "control m" character. You can type that on the command line using control-v control-m.
I would use a ‘\r’ character literal with sed as it’s easier to type:
Code:
sed -e 's/$/\r/' file.old > file.new

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #6,195 of 6,413
After two years of usage, my Shanling M0's brightness setting does not work anymore, and the screen is stuck on minimum brightness, making it unusable outdoors. There is now also a flash whenever the button is pressed to turn off the screen. Anyone faced a similar issue? @Shanling any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back