Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 30, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #3,781 of 6,413
Is this what's required to make and play playlists in this player??? Seriously, in this day and age?

I assume most media managers (MusicBee, Mediamonkey, Jriver) could create the M3U lists without needing to install the Cygwin layer and hack a command line.

I use JRiver MC24 to rip my CDs, and it will create and manage Playlist files.
My bash shell scripts, which do more than the couple of lines I listed above, were created because I enjoy writing scripts to manage and modify my files.
I started years ago, writing shell scripts to batch process (renaming / resizing / watermarking) the raw image files from my cameras.
It turns out that the exiftool command line program can also read and work with the Metadata in audio files.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #3,782 of 6,413
My bash shell scripts, which do more than the couple of lines I listed above, were created because I enjoy writing scripts to manage and modify my files.
I started years ago, writing shell scripts to batch process (renaming / resizing / watermarking) the raw image files from my cameras.
It turns out that the exiftool command line program can also read and work with the Metadata in audio files.

I mash bash scripts daily at work, but I notice very few folks nowadays want to deal with the learning curve in order to get to the power.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #3,783 of 6,413
JRiver is a great music cataloging program (and much more). My favorite of all of them. Easy to fix metadata, album art (that doesn’t show up on your player) rip CDs, even add DSP or sound adjustments to files (as a copy) for those albums that just don’t sound that great. The most comprehensive program and most useful for anyone who uses DAPs or plays music to a system through the computer. Just the best. I’ve been using it since the Pono player came out, those years ago.

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #3,784 of 6,413
From My Music --> Playlist, is there anyway to change the Playlist to something different than "Playlist1/2/3/etc."?

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #3,785 of 6,413
From My Music --> Playlist, is there anyway to change the Playlist to something different than "Playlist1/2/3/etc."?

Not for now.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 31, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #3,786 of 6,413
Not for now.

Makes me wonder how people in China use DAPs as you previously said external playlists are not a popular function in China.

Playlists seem such an integral part of a music player. Not being able to name them is so limited.

Glad we got m3u/m3u8 support in latest firmware, I now use it all the time.

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,787 of 6,413
Is this what's required to make and play playlists in this player??? Seriously, in this day and age?

There's loads of software that creates .M3U files. On Windows there's Winamp which I'm pretty sure still saves playlists, and on OSX Tinyplayer will export them. Just google. You don't have to hack code, but make sure that you use the recommended format for Shanling (it uses relative paths from the root folder, etc).

Even if you use something like iTunes on Mac, as I do, there's software like iSyncer and M3Unify, Doug's iTunes scripts, and I think iTunes exports M3U directly.
(I have all my files in iTunes and not going to start using other software now, also I still use my iPod)

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #3,788 of 6,413
Makes me wonder how people in China use DAPs as you previously said external playlists are not a popular function in China.

Playlists seem such an integral part of a music player. Not being able to name them is so limited.

Glad we got m3u/m3u8 support in latest firmware, I now use it all the time.
The lack of interest in user playlists is an abiding mystery for me as well. It comes up on every new DAP announcement, yet somehow remains not a priority.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #3,789 of 6,413
The lack of interest in user playlists is an abiding mystery for me as well. It comes up on every new DAP announcement, yet somehow remains not a priority.

I have an interest but to much of a hassle so far on the M0. The free version of Media Monkey does not provide the option for relative paths when syncing and I don't want to pay $25.00 just for that option with the paid version. Tried Musicbee a few times and it added the tracks fine but not the actual playlist. I think I will stick to playing playlists on my home setup for now. I simply don't have the time and patience to mess with playlists on the M0, makes me miss the simplicity of adding playlists to my A17. Probably a simple thing for you guys who are use to using 3rd party software but at my age with my busy life I simply don't have the time to waste futzing with playlists trying to make them work.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #3,790 of 6,413
Finally managed to get my M0 review done. All testing was done on firmware version 2.1. The M0 is not perfect but for the asking price, I couldn't ask for anything more. I think it's brilliant.
https://primeaudio.org/shanling-m0-review-take-it-everywhere/

Shanling-M0-with-HM100-2.jpg

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #3,791 of 6,413
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #3,792 of 6,413
I have an interest but to much of a hassle so far on the M0. The free version of Media Monkey does not provide the option for relative paths when syncing and I don't want to pay $25.00 just for that option with the paid version. Tried Musicbee a few times and it added the tracks fine but not the actual playlist. I think I will stick to playing playlists on my home setup for now. I simply don't have the time and patience to mess with playlists on the M0, makes me miss the simplicity of adding playlists to my A17. Probably a simple thing for you guys who are use to using 3rd party software but at my age with my busy life I simply don't have the time to waste futzing with playlists trying to make them work.

If the playlist is in the root folder of the SD card absolute pathnames are working too :
/Music/Gregory Porter/xxxx.flac

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,794 of 6,413
I simply don't have the time and patience to mess with playlists on the M0, makes me miss the simplicity of adding playlists to my A17. Probably a simple thing for you guys who are use to using 3rd party software but at my age with my busy life I simply don't have the time to waste futzing with playlists trying to make them work.

Yet you have the time to moan about it on a forum? You can't be THAT busy then!

Really by the time you'd typed that comment, you could have downloaded Winamp or Tinyplayer, installed it, dragged a few files in and then clicked 'Export playlist' or 'Save M3U'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back