Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #3,076 of 6,413
And of course most of them are taken from the original analogue tape which cannot be improved upon. The recording, even DSD, will only be as good as the original analogue master tape.
Exactly , this is the only case scenario DSD has a chance , but nobody except studios that are devoted to it master from vinyl , everything Is DDD today.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,078 of 6,413
And of course most of them are taken from the original analogue tape which cannot be improved upon. The recording, even DSD, will only be as good as the original analogue master tape.

The output from the original analogue audio tapes can be processed by modern digital algorithms - which could reduce noise, and improve the signal to noise ratio of digital copies.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #3,080 of 6,413
One thing that i noticed is that i had updated the shanling m0 to firm 2.1. I then deleted the file from the sdcard after the update was done
and now i went to propperties and it shows that the firmware that the m0 is in is 1.5. This is not normal... or is it?

Edit. Well I just updated and it still shows firmware 1.5. Does this mean that it didn't install the updtate to 2.1?
Or do I have to update incrementally? 1.5 to 2.0 and then 2.0 to 2.1?

Edit 2 . It seems that it was the card problem, it was formatted to exfat and that may have been the problem. now i put a fat32 card and it upated to 2.0. Now i will try to update to 2.1

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #3,081 of 6,413
Also, while finally taking the time to listen to some SACD transfers, I've come across some pretty big bugs.
  • With DSF (DSD64) gapless doesn't work; there's even a loud click between tracks (I think at the beginning of the next track). This click is not there when I play the DSF with foobar2000.
  • With DSF (DSD64) the EQ presets don't work, at all.
  • The EQ didn't work either with 96KHz/24-bit FLACs. It did work on 44KHz/16-bit FLACs. Looks like a CPU limitation? Hopefully not.
  • I let a friend listen to some tunes (DSF) using bluetooth (AAC) on his Bose QuietComfort 35's. I was about 1 or 2 meters from him all the time and the connection kept on dropping intermediately. I had the same on his Pioneer car radio using bluetooth with AAC.
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but a custom EQ would be really, really handy. I want a slight bass bump on my T2's, but the 'Bass' preset is distorted way too much (that's a generic EQ preset for ya). If I get the EQ to work at all, which is almost never because I listen to a lor of high res files, for which EQ is broken at the moment.

Apart from that, the DSF files are sounding in-cre-di-ble. It's fantastic to have a little DAP that natively plays DSD. I'm using the popular Chinese Tin Audio T2 IEMs and my good old American Grado SR80's :)

DSD is quite challenging, so the gapless doesn't work properly with it for now.
EQ is disabled for all Hi-Res files.
Did you had these connections problems just with DSD or also with other files?

We are now working on EQ software for M5s, including user EQ and some advanced DSPs. It will then be ported to M0.

M0 pairs nicely with the Mobius - LDAC is dang good sounding...just got the Mobius in today:

Is there any way to connect it directly via USB-C and have volume control? It works via USB-C, as in it it plays the music - but absolutely no control of volume from either the M0 or the Mobius, with both turned down to their minimum the sound is still at maxmimum output and LOUD... smooth though... smoothest most pleasant deafening loudness I've ever heard.

M0 has no effect on output volume when using USB out. I know it worked fine with Sony USB headphones, will try to test it with Mobius.

I noticed that the Music browser does not use the Album Artist tag, but the Track artist. I think it's pretty unusual. This is problematic for compilation albums because the tracks will be spread across the different performing artists, instead of the album being found under 'Various Artists'.

A workaround I use is using a handy folder structure. I don't use the Music browser but the Folder browser with my folders like this: \<Album Artist>\<Year> - <Album Name> [Filetype]\. This also works rather well with the limited font width.

That no gapless and no EQ though :/

Album artist should be added in future.

this device is truly amazing, small like the sansa yet 4x times powerful and better.

Truly a great product , I wanted to buy the M3K but then I found this :) .

Lets say that M3K is device with quite different approach to mini DAPs...

I love using this device Bluetooth connected to phone using tidal. Is there a way to this with shanling attached to mojo?

We want to implement this in future update.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #3,082 of 6,413
There is my point! If a date is set then can’t be met then that causes posts to be made. It puts them in a damned if you do and damned if you don’t position. They have acknowledged the update requests and now we wait. No matter how many posts you send about it it will still take the same time. When it is ready we will be informed. I don’t care if you ask for an update but I do care when the same post from the same person with the same moan keeps being posted. Move on and enjoy the fully usable M0 as it is and look forward to the updates coming down the pipe.

Alright already, I get the point, I got the update on the firmware situation I wanted so no big deal. Sorry but I am not as trusting as you guys and I have never dealt with Shanling before. Been burned many times on promises not kept by audio manufacturers over the years. Now I know there is a reason for the delay so lets move on. At this point really not much else to post anyway until the firmware update is released.

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #3,083 of 6,413
Regarding DSD files on portable I have never understood the point. Huge file sizes and for the most part portable gear doesn't have the fidelity to take advantage of it. From my experience only high end audio gear has the chops to do DSD justice. Even then it may not be worth it on all DSD tracks depending on the quality of the master. I have a 9 TB home server with a few DSD tracks but only from very high quality master recordings. I will never waste space on a portable DAP especially not a $150 DAP on DSD files.

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #3,084 of 6,413
Thanks for the info, @Shanling. I'll do some more tests with the BT headphones if I get the chance. It only payed DSD files at that time.

I know DSD is most probably overkill on a DAP, but some of the SACD (re)masters are really, really good. I've got a few of Dead Can Dance, Dire Straits and Queen and they beat the CD's easily. Same for many vinyl rips. It's probably not the DSD or vinyl itself, but the mastering that's often way better than the CD counterpart. Little to no loudness wars there. A lot of times the CD is heavily compressed, because that's what sells and what sounds 'best' on the average, bad, consumer playback devices. Like mobile bluetooth speakers or Beats headphones.

As for space.. microSD's are very cheap at the moment, so I bought a 256GB one for use with my M0. Beause it plays DSD natively.. I do :) I could convert it to PCM using all kinds of tricks and I would probably not hear the difference, not even when I would encode that to a high quality AAC file. But why should i? Actually, I should do 16-bit/44KHz FLAC for both gapless and EQ to work, haha.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #3,085 of 6,413
Thanks for the info, @Shanling. I'll do some more tests with the BT headphones if I get the chance. It only payed DSD files at that time.

I know DSD is most probably overkill on a DAP, but some of the SACD (re)masters are really, really good. I've got a few of Dead Can Dance, Dire Straits and Queen and they beat the CD's easily. Same for many vinyl rips. It's probably not the DSD or vinyl itself, but the mastering that's often way better than the CD counterpart. Little to no loudness wars there. A lot of times the CD is heavily compressed, because that's what sells and what sounds 'best' on the average, bad, consumer playback devices. Like mobile bluetooth speakers or Beats headphones.

As for space.. microSD's are very cheap at the moment, so I bought a 256GB one for use with my M0. Beause it plays DSD natively.. I do :) I could convert it to PCM using all kinds of tricks and I would probably not hear the difference, not even when I would encode that to a high quality AAC file. But why should i? Actually, I should do 16-bit/44KHz FLAC for both gapless and EQ to work, haha.

I have DSD's of Dire Straits and some Queen as well and they do sound really good on my home system. I use to have a much higher end home system than I do now but sold it when I got married. Listening to DSD files on that system was transcending. Listening on my more modest system now they still sound good but not as good. Listening on my M0 another step down and frankly with each step down the experience wanes and I have to way the space taken up with the audible quality. FLAC versions of the same songs are 95% of what I hear from the DSD versions and since I use the M0 to travel with 95% is more than enough.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #3,086 of 6,413
I have DSD's of Dire Straits and some Queen as well and they do sound really good on my home system. I use to have a much higher end home system than I do now but sold it when I got married. Listening to DSD files on that system was transcending. Listening on my more modest system now they still sound good but not as good. Listening on my M0 another step down and frankly with each step down the experience wanes and I have to way the space taken up with the audible quality. FLAC versions of the same songs are 95% of what I hear from the DSD versions and since I use the M0 to travel with 95% is more than enough.
Fair enough, I totally understand that and may do the same eventually. For now, since space is not an issue, I personally want to go for the maximum possible quality. Mostly.. because it's possible with this technological marvel that's called the M0. There is of course no way I will hear the difference when I'm truly on the go - on a crowded bus in Bolivia for example, in a few weeks. :D I'd actually be better off with a CD transfer for maximum audibility, haha. :D

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #3,087 of 6,413
DSD on the M0 is worth it, to me, for a reason @jelbo mentioned. I don't want to have to convert my music library to different formats to play on various components. So everything is in wav or a few DSD. Now the files play on everything I own. Even have a couple of 354/24 pcm on the M0.

I don't need to carry my whole music library with me on a portable.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #3,089 of 6,413
I think getting into the validity of hi res or DSD is a self defeating discussion. Almost like religion. Some of us really like hi res, others say its not worth it, others say its a release by release situation. Personally I think DSD on a DAP makes sense for certain recorders, especially well recorded analog material.

By the way, there is a certain fishy discussion going on that seems to be dissing on Shanling's delivery of firmware updates. I am in the camp that has seen Shanling regularly support the M1 and M2S which, at least in theory, are current machines. I will admit that the Shanling M2 never quite got a firmware release that I thought was fully stable. But the M0 is already fairly stable and I have no reason to doubt that Shanling will keep supporting the unit, which they expect to be a volume seller.

I am also in the camp that marvels how the M0 actually sounds better than the bigger and more expensive M1. The M0 also sounds better than the HiBy R3. By all rights it should not; but there it is. So I am agreeing with the person who posted that a few comments ago.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #3,090 of 6,413
Any reason you're using WAV instead of FLAC? End result is the exact same, but at ~60-70% of the size of WAVs.

Well, some audiophiles will claim that WAV sounds better than FLAC. You can google it up and have a look :wink:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back