Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 6, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #3,016 of 6,413
Well the idea is for using it on the pocket easily. That's why double click to pause is perfect for me.

My 2 cents on making the firmware better and more usable

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #3,018 of 6,413
Here we go - I and aleXmod presents:

Shanling M0 custom firmware based on v2.1: link

- Highly optimized graphics, font and binaries for maximum speed;
- English and Russian language strings was corrected/added;

Enjoy.
Custom Firmware already? Wow, you guys are on the ball. I'm excited to try it out when my M0 arrives!

Just out of curiosity, what programming language did you use to create this?

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,019 of 6,413
Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me:ksc75smile:

Let me say this one last thing and then call me whatever you want.

This purchase was a business transaction for me and nothing else. Just like buying a new car you can pay the sticker price or you can negotiate for a better deal. The M0 was released without a couple of features I wanted. So I could have opted to return the M0 and bought something else or try to negotiate for the features I wanted. So myself and others requested replaygain and external playlist support. Shanling said they would attempt to add these features. Taking them at their word I agreed to keep the M0 and trust they would deliver at some point. So all I am looking for is some response on where they stand with holding up their end of the deal.

Even if @Shanling responded with we are working on the next firmware update but no eta available, that would be something. Obviously not the response I want but at least it would be something. So that is all that I want right now is an acknowledgement that a fw will be coming at some point and what possibly might be in it. If they are in fact working on an update then they should be able to give us some idea what it will contain even if not a full list. As with any business deal I simply want continued communication from Shanling.

If you guys are happy with your M0 and don't feel it needs any improvements then you shouldn't care what I post.
Jeez! The guy from Shanling posts on here a lot answering our questions etc. As for eta on any upgrades well he said several times that he will put the ideas forward but how the heck can he give a date on such a wide variety of updates that have been requested? Personally I will just look forward to any as and when they arrive and in the meantime I shall be enjoying playing music on my M0 instead of stressing why it does not have certain functions or if and when they will arrive.

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #3,020 of 6,413
- Highly optimized graphics, font and binaries for maximum speed;
Cool! Is the optimization noticeable in any other way than speed? Sounds like you did something with compression or file lay out. Which would be nice, but I'm not sure if I would flash that firmware only because of that and some translation improvements. Nice to see a custom firmware nonetheless, hope it'll be the first step into something great. Like Rockbox :wink:

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #3,021 of 6,413
I'm really pleased with my M0 - it is so versatile.

I've been using at as a USB transport with my Chord Hugo, iFi Audio Black Label iDSD and Nano iDSD dacs. I bought the Shanling USB-C to USB micro cable for the Hugo and the USB-C version of the iFi OTG cable for the iFi DACS. I had got out of the habit of listening to my Ortofon eQ5 IEMs as by the time I was using the heavy combination of my Moto G5 phone as transport and the iFi Nano for mobile use, I thought I might as well use my full size Sennheiser Momentum over ears. But now I can just slip the M0 and my pocket and listen with the IEMs I've got back into the eQ5s.

I've paired it with my JBL Flip 3 to send it Bluetooth Music, bu even though the Flip only supports the SBC codec, it still sounds as good as my phone and doesn't tie up the phone anymore.

But the real reason I wanted to post to Head Fi for my first time, was my latest use of the M0 - a tiny JBL Go based stereo sound system, total weight 360 grams for M0, speakers and cable. I made up a 3.5 mm stereo jack to 3.5 mm mono jack lead with Duelund DCA20GA cable, Mundorf 3.8% silver solder and Switchcraft jack plugs. Now I can drive the JBL Go speaker in stereo via Bluetooth to the M0, where normally you can't pair two of them for stereo. But for best sound I can use the Apple Lossless tracks on 128GB micro SD card in the M0 using the Duelund cable and it really doesn't sound at all bad - non-existent bass of course but the treble is quite detailed and sweet and in stereo when I place the speakers about 35cm apart. Great to take on trips away from home.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #3,023 of 6,413
@rdale, sounds interesting. Your post would greatly benefit from some photos :)

I've been slightly bugged by album art that seemed to be not fully displayed. I mostly use a 500x500px folder.jpg in the album folder and also embedded in each track's ID3v2 tag. Time for a little test.

The screen resolution is supposedly 240x240, so I made a 240x240px image and saved it as a heavily optimized-for-quality .jpg that's near indistinguishable from a lossless .png:

folders0ie5.jpg

I created a folder with this folder.jpg file and a .flac with folder.jpg embedded as cover art. Let's check it out:

m0_222x222yge2x.jpg

Ha. After looking really carefully and checking the original image, it seems that only 222x222 pixels are displayed. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's displayed 1:1 natively, meaning that the (visible) screen resolution of the M0 is also 222x222. Why it displayed cover art cropped is rather mysterious though, I'd just downsample anything to native res.

No big issue, but pretty interesting.

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,025 of 6,413
I have the M0 and have a very low volume when using bluetooth mode, regardless if is at 100% . I have latest firmware, I have tried with Bose, B&WPX, bluetooth speakers 2 different with same results.
Any advice?

BTW, tried the custom firmware but does not recognize it

Thanks

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #3,027 of 6,413
I have the M0 and have a very low volume when using bluetooth mode, regardless if is at 100% . I have latest firmware, I have tried with Bose, B&WPX, bluetooth speakers 2 different with same results.
Any advice?

BTW, tried the custom firmware but does not recognize it

Thanks

I got advised to turn up the volume of the device you are connecting the m0 to, then use the volume on the mo to control the volume itself (do a search a couple of pages back for the exact instructions). Instead I gave up, packaged the bluetooth headphones up for return and plugged in a set of headphones with a cable. No more volume issues!

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #3,028 of 6,413
I made a 240x240px image and saved it as a heavily optimized-for-quality .jpg that's near indistinguishable from a lossless .png
JPG is a LOSSY compression algorithm. That means resulting quality and file size are very dependent on the image itself. Checkerboard pattern would always look same as original with tiny file size. You cannot extrapolate from that anything about real cover art. FYI...

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #3,029 of 6,413
I got advised to turn up the volume of the device you are connecting the m0 to, then use the volume on the mo to control the volume itself (do a search a couple of pages back for the exact instructions). Instead I gave up, packaged the bluetooth headphones up for return and plugged in a set of headphones with a cable. No more volume issues!
Thanks a lot it worked!!

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3,030 of 6,413
JPG is a LOSSY compression algorithm. That means resulting quality and file size are very dependent on the image itself. Checkerboard pattern would always look same as original with tiny file size. You cannot extrapolate from that anything about real cover art. FYI...
I know all about JPEG and their lossyness. I mentioned my process because the bug might be specific to .jpg's, so I wanted to use one. I also wanted to be able to see the coloured lines that are 1 pixel in width. Lastly, I chose a checkerboard pattern to more easily be able to discern things, especially the different coloured lines that would either be more visible on black or white, depending on the colour. But I digress. What it proves is that anything beyond 1 pixel outside of the inner red rectangle (= the 221st until the 240th pixel) is not displayed at all. And it does that for ANY cover art, regardless of resolution (e.g. 500x500 or 1024x1024; all are cropped when displayed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back