Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 8, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #3,061 of 6,413
@fish1050 The problem people seem to have is you do not ask. You make demands and threats with an accusatory and entitled attitude that Shanling is doing wrong by you. You seem to be the only one that that feels this way, and it honestly brings down the thread. Everyone else seems to have a more appreciative attitude towards this device and the company. And when people question you it comes back to "why do you care what I say"? Because you've become "that guy", and it detracts from the whole thread.

You've admitted to being jaded from the get go, and regardless of all the positive things people have had to say along with the posts Frankie has made, you continue this negative slant people are just finding tiresome. Not that this should be a rah rah Shanling is great thread, but you keep taking it to the complete opposite side.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #3,062 of 6,413
@fish1050 The problem people seem to have is you do not ask. You make demands and threats with an accusatory and entitled attitude that Shanling is doing wrong by you. You seem to be the only one that that feels this way, and it honestly brings down the thread. Everyone else seems to have a more appreciative attitude towards this device and the company. And when people question you it comes back to "why do you care what I say"? Because you've become "that guy", and it detracts from the whole thread.

You've admitted to being jaded from the get go, and regardless of all the positive things people have had to say along with the posts Frankie has made, you continue this negative slant people are just finding tiresome. Not that this should be a rah rah Shanling is great thread, but you keep taking it to the complete opposite side.

Your entitled to your opinion but I don't feel I have accused anyone of anything. Merely asked to for information. When you can't communicate with someone face to face words can be taken the wrong way. Context is important and hard to express in words alone.

I got the updated information I was looking for and that is all I wanted for now.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,063 of 6,413
I noticed that the Music browser does not use the Album Artist tag, but the Track artist. I think it's pretty unusual. This is problematic for compilation albums because the tracks will be spread across the different performing artists, instead of the album being found under 'Various Artists'.

A workaround I use is using a handy folder structure. I don't use the Music browser but the Folder browser with my folders like this: \<Album Artist>\<Year> - <Album Name> [Filetype]\. This also works rather well with the limited font width.

That no gapless and no EQ though :/

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,065 of 6,413
Guys please: M1 or M0 for best SQ and/or best vfm? What's the consensus? M1 clearly better? M0 clearly better? It's a toss up and personal preference thing? There is no clear consensus? Forget those, get the M2s?

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,066 of 6,413
@whoever81 M1 and M2s are being phased out, from what I know... M0 came out after both of those.

I have not heard either the M1 or the M2s, so can't really help with a direct comparison... but I do love my M0. Right now, I think if you want something REALLY tiny and portable, quite cheap but with actually quite a lots of bells and whistles (bluetooth, touch, color) AND a very good SQ (and so with a REALLY excellent SQ/price ratio) nothing beats the M0.

If you have a different use scenario, you have lots more choices, of course (which will cost more, and give more, but also weigh more, take up more space etc etc).

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #3,067 of 6,413
@whoever81 M1 and M2s are being phased out, from what I know... M0 came out after both of those.

I have not heard either the M1 or the M2s, so can't really help with a direct comparison... but I do love my M0. Right now, I think if you want something REALLY tiny and portable, quite cheap but with actually quite a lots of bells and whistles (bluetooth, touch, color) AND a very good SQ (and so with a REALLY excellent SQ/price ratio) nothing beats the M0.

If you have a different use scenario, you have lots more choices, of course (which will cost more, and give more, but also weigh more, take up more space etc etc).
Thanks! Exactly the response I wanted to hear.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,068 of 6,413

Thanks! Exactly the response I wanted to hear.

I couldn't agree more with this. As it stands, there really is nothing that can touch the M0 right now in terms of outright bang for buck value. No, the M0 isn't perfect, but I don't think the perfect DAP exists yet anyways. To be perfectly honest, I think it's fair to say that the M0 probably has the least compromised build vs feature list I've come across thus far.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,069 of 6,413
Guys please: M1 or M0 for best SQ and/or best vfm? What's the consensus? M1 clearly better? M0 clearly better? It's a toss up and personal preference thing? There is no clear consensus? Forget those, get the M2s?
I agree with all the others. M0 is outstanding. Better SQ than M1 to my ears. I've seen only one person say they preferred the sound of the M1, so I'd consider that an outlier.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3,070 of 6,413
I like M0 sound better than M1 and M2s. Better dynamics and treble than both, M1 and M2 are warmer, and I feel M0 has more detail. Although M2s has a slightly bigger stage. If I ranked them in order it would be M0 then M2s and then M1 last. None sound bad at all in fact some people prefer the warmer sound, but I like the more neutral/dynamic sound of the M0.

Well it’s not strictly neutral really but more so than both M1 and M2s.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #3,071 of 6,413
Shanling has posted that eq only works with 16 bit.

I doubt any component allows eq of DSD. One bit is almost impossible to eq or manipulate. This makes it great for archiving. Even studios have to convert DSD to pcm to adjust parameters. So this isn't a M0 bug.

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #3,072 of 6,413
DSD is pointless , not only you can't edit it, you can't even play it without a proper equipment , higher than 16/44 gains no better quality , what is important , is the mastering of the digital track. I can't understand why people use 96khz , 24 bit has a better noise floor but it is still not important. The red book standard is exactly what you need. DSD is truly pointless. and most of the SACD Cds are made on either DXD or edited differently but still in PCM , which just shows how dsd is pointless.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #3,073 of 6,413
I love using this device Bluetooth connected to phone using tidal. Is there a way to this with shanling attached to mojo?

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #3,074 of 6,413
The last post I recall before this about firmware update @Shanling said he was told their would be one in August. August passed and it didn't happen so I wanted another update for my own piece of mind. Now I know thanks to his last post that M0 has taken a back seat to the M5S right now. Sorry but I liked to be kept up to date on stuff. If I want information I will request it, @Shanling is not obligated to respond. Again why should you care if I ask for an update? I see alot of posts requesting the same information over and over but I don't jump in. I respect their right ask for information whenever they want.
There is my point! If a date is set then can’t be met then that causes posts to be made. It puts them in a damned if you do and damned if you don’t position. They have acknowledged the update requests and now we wait. No matter how many posts you send about it it will still take the same time. When it is ready we will be informed. I don’t care if you ask for an update but I do care when the same post from the same person with the same moan keeps being posted. Move on and enjoy the fully usable M0 as it is and look forward to the updates coming down the pipe.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,075 of 6,413
DSD is pointless , not only you can't edit it, you can't even play it without a proper equipment , higher than 16/44 gains no better quality , what is important , is the mastering of the digital track. I can't understand why people use 96khz , 24 bit has a better noise floor but it is still not important. The red book standard is exactly what you need. DSD is truly pointless. and most of the SACD Cds are made on either DXD or edited differently but still in PCM , which just shows how dsd is pointless.
And of course most of them are taken from the original analogue tape which cannot be improved upon. The recording, even DSD, will only be as good as the original analogue master tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back