Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 14, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,321 of 6,413
When charging does your m0 shutdown itself when reach 100%? Btw im using the standard smartphone charger 5v 1.5a..
That's what mine does while charging. The blinking charging icon ramps up on the display until it reaches full charge, and then it turns off. I guess that's the behavior I'd want as long as I'm not listening while it's charging. I guess you're listening/charging simultaneously?

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,322 of 6,413
Think of the slider as the balance point of a child's teeter-totter...the further you move it toward the short side, the heavier the long side becomes. Some of the iBasso DAP's balance controls work the same way.
Thank you. I think that the work of the balance slider should be absolutely identical for any headphones on M0, that is On the BT headphones to make the LEFT channel louder I should move the slider to RIGHT side, and on all WIRED headphones - LEFT. It is sad
@ Shanling heard the problem.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,323 of 6,413
I wouldn't sweat the all plastic clip and that diagram. Not like you're going to test the pull strength on the clip to see where it'll break. And I'd take a one piece all plastic as opposed to a two piece with metal and a hinge that can break. Lots of Sansa Clips with broken hinges and no way to fix.

That one piece design should be more durable in the long run.

And good info about the thickness dimensions and design info. I'm just hoping it'll be light enough to not really bounce on the waist. The other option I'll toy with is clipping it to the strain the back of my baseball hat. Used to do that with corded buds and my Sansa Clip so I didn't have anything rubbing my neck.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,324 of 6,413
Really loving the M0. So much so that I'm actually kind of worried for folks like FiiO. (I'm a FiiO fan and an X7ii owner.) For Shanling to engineer such a tiny, feature-packed DAP with their own new OS from scratch with very few bugs in it (sorry FiiO, that was a cheap shot at you) and provide such quick updates with the level of communication we get on this forum from Frankie is totally unprecedented - this has to eat into the sales of companies like FiiO.

My time with FiiO was short. I liked the X1ii in some regards, but it was an absolute mess on the OS level, as well as some other really rough design choices. Considering how great the M1 is, I really wanna get a M0 after owning the M1 for only a short time. It's simply *better*, and the support is absolutely amazing compared to FiiO. The fact it takes FiiO 4+ months of radio silence before even pushing a single update is telling, considering Shanling pushes multiple updates in only a few months. And I think that's what is gonna kill FiiO. They can keep making decent DAPs, but their support for making them better is simply awful

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,325 of 6,413
My time with FiiO was short. I liked the X1ii in some regards, but it was an absolute mess on the OS level, as well as some other really rough design choices. Considering how great the M1 is, I really wanna get a M0 after owning the M1 for only a short time. It's simply *better*, and the support is absolutely amazing compared to FiiO. The fact it takes FiiO 4+ months of radio silence before even pushing a single update is telling, considering Shanling pushes multiple updates in only a few months. And I think that's what is gonna kill FiiO. They can keep making decent DAPs, but their support for making them better is simply awful

100% agree.....

And yet....I think their new M7 is going to surprise a lot of people. I've had it in for review for a little while now, and I gotta admit that it's on a whole new level to what they've done before

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,326 of 6,413
And yet....I think their new M7 is going to surprise a lot of people. I've had it in for review for a little while now, and I gotta admit that it's on a whole new level to what they've done before
I was exited about the M7 until I saw it and heard it. It doesn't sound, look or feel like a high-quality device to me. And it's twice the price of the M0. What features (other than the radio) do you feel the M7 has that make it stand out from the M0?

P.S. When you say "it's on a whole new level to what they've done before", have you compared the M7's sound quality to that of the X7ii?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,327 of 6,413
Can the M0 take USB input and simultaneously output Bluetooth, specifically LDAC? An example of this setup is: PC -> USB cable -> M0 -> LDAC -> LDAC headphones.

If not, are there plans to make this possible?

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #1,328 of 6,413
Is there any way to force a FW upgrade if you cannot use the touchscreen?
My problem still persists, not sure how much more I can clean the screen :)

I want to try a force update before I send it back to China :wink:

Thanks

Sorry, no way how to force FW upgrade without actually opening the device.
Also the screen problem is caused by one chip inside, not firmware.

For you, only way is to get it replaced with your seller.

I've also experienced the situation where when I've hooked my MO to my OPPO HA2-SE via USB, the volume blasts out at maximum when I begin to play a track and then resets itself when I touch the volume control on the M0. OPPO's volume was set pretty low when this happened. Workaround is to keep the OPPO's volume control at 0 when I first start to play a track and then adjust but someone could potentially damage a good pair of headphones if they aren't careful.

This is strange, volume of M0 has zero impact on DACs we tested it with. Will see if I will be lucky to find this Oppo in some of local Oppo shops.

We actually had some discussions on thickness with Frankie on the M1 thread a couple of weeks before the M0 was even announced. Apparently going thinner would require more work on an integrated display panel and would result in a device that would be more difficult to repair. For the price of the M0, I could live with that. My 6th gen Nano is still going strong (although it doesn't sound as good as the M0, has a bit of a noise floor and doesn't have any of the BT/DAC features the M0 does and only has 16 Gb memory...). In practice, I don't know how many of us will end up removing the screens of our M0s to do repairs anyway. The clip case may be ok, but I wonder how durable a no-hinge plastic clip will be in the long run. (I'm still curious about those red "X" marks on the case diagram showing the clip being pulled back too far!) I think it'd be great to see some 3D-printed or other higher-quality manufactured alternatives. The M0 is such an awesome device, it deserves something a bit more solid and luxurious than an all-plastic clip case, IMHO. But I guess I should reserve judgement...

Regarding thickness, look inside modern phones and especially thin notebooks like Macbooks. All extremely squeezed in, all glued together, chance of repair without special equipment close to zero. Not equipped for that, not really interested either.

Those red X only mean not to try how much can clip bend until it breaks. Any reasonable user will hopefully understand it. And if not, he can get new one for less than his coffee costs.
Also, most cases with hinge would break at smaller degree than our one piece case.

M0 is cheap everyday player, not just for spendy audiophiles, but for common people. And for that reason, durable, plastic and cheap clip case is the best fit.
Expensive cases from aluminium, carbon fiber, or whatever, we will gladly leave to 3rd party manufacturers.

Can the M0 take USB input and simultaneously output Bluetooth, specifically LDAC? An example of this setup is: PC -> USB cable -> M0 -> LDAC -> LDAC headphones.

If not, are there plans to make this possible?

Sorry, it doesn't work this way. And not planned.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 15, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #1,330 of 6,413
That's what mine does while charging. The blinking charging icon ramps up on the display until it reaches full charge, and then it turns off. I guess that's the behavior I'd want as long as I'm not listening while it's charging. I guess you're listening/charging simultaneously?
Thanks i thought im the only one..nope i leave it there for charging not using it simultaneously..

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,331 of 6,413
LDAC good here

Hi there, I have a similar set up, except I use the 800st instead of 535, anyway, I found the Bluetooth can get disconnect easy when using outdoor, need to hold the little guy very close to the neck band to get a good reception. Do you have the same problem?

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #1,332 of 6,413
Since M0 is first portable music player for many users, I felt need to create some little bit deeper manual. Found some spare time this week and put this first version together.

Here you can download rough version, missing guide to some additional features and troubleshooting, but explaining core functions and all menu items. I'm sure it will be useful to some.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #1,333 of 6,413
Since M0 is first portable music player for many users, I felt need to create some little bit deeper manual. Found some spare time this week and put this first version together.

Here you can download rough version, missing guide to some additional features and troubleshooting, but explaining core functions and all menu items. I'm sure it will be useful to some.
Thank you! Very useful for all, I am sure!

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,334 of 6,413
Shanling getting exposure in Canada finally!

I have noticed more Canadian dealers picking up the M0 that were not Shanling dealers in the past. Headphonebar.ca is now taking pre-orders for the M0 and now Canada Computers looks to become a full line Shanling dealer at least online. Glad to see Shanling will become a viable option for me in Canada going forward. Very interested to see what Shaning does with their other DAP's now that the M0 shows what they can do with a touchscreen OS and the latest features like LDAC. Sony who???

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,335 of 6,413

Thanks Shanling, I am looking to pre-order my M0 in the next few days so this newer manual will be great to have. As much as I am interested in the M0 I am wondering if Shanling is planning anymore DAP releases in 2018. An upgraded M2S with the innovations you have in the M0 would be awesome and interest me greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back