Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 11, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #557 of 6,413
I just got a call from Jaben Australia and they have been told by Shanling that they won't get any stock until July so I have cancelled my pre-order.

@Shanling is that the latest status? Initially I recall the delivery date is end April, then end May and now this? This is very worrying for those of us who pre ordered.

May 11, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #558 of 6,413
Far too much demand; globally, similar to the Xiaomi Black Shark handset. They try to not rush production which is BETTER for the people working at Shanling AND us in the end.
I "can" wait till June/July - yet if I don't have to, I'm not going to try waiting for it. :)

May 11, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #559 of 6,413
demo m0 has come to one hifi shop in Thailand. will go test it in free time.

May 11, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #560 of 6,413
Jaben SG Just emailed me to say that they will ship my M0 on 23rd/24th May.

FYI.

May 11, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #561 of 6,413
Just received mine, in black (from Audiophonics)

First impressions:
Sounds good! Tried with q-jays IEM (2015 version).
As I don’t usually use DAP I’m not helping but it seems definitely closer to my current desktop setup (iFi iCan + ESS9018 Dac) than my iPhone 6 output.
For the moment I would say it's rather warm, organic, “V“ sound. I had to switch back to the silicon tips instead of comply foam to retrieve the sound I’m used to.
It’s maybe not the best “out of this world“ sound I’ve heard with these IEM but it’s still very good for the price/size, that the major point.

On the side, the EQ feature currently sounds really bad. Presets are way too hard and it’s just not usable.
I also had few audio quirks. Some HD tracks clicking for few seconds when they’re loaded. Software freeze when the artwork is too big…
A nice update could probably polish everything :)

Yep, the UI and the “swipes“ are a pain and you need those swipes everywhere inside the UI.
But there’s definitely a learning curve. At first I was below 10% success on this swipe motion and It was driving me really crazy. Just 24h later I’m now close to 100% success. I’ve put this device in few hands around the house and depending on the people it’s either instantly very natural and easy or just barely unusable. You just need to carefully understand how the device is registering those swipes and after it’s ok. After 24h it’s probably as fast as my iPhone 6 to browse one handed for me. The UI could be a bit more responsive but it’s Ok.

Basic stuff like Play/Pause/Previous/Next/TurnOn/Off is fine. The volume wheel is also more pleasant than I thought. The click button of the wheel could be more firm for my own taste and I still think a second physical button somewhere could have helped to control the device from the pocket. Because even if there was a triple click feature, the double click is already needed to play/pause…

Yes it can receive Bluetooth AAC indeed!
There’s definitely more lag (either AAC or SBC) than I would like. Currently I can’t watch a video uisng Bluetooth. It seems also that the M0 does not fully interact with my phone, typically you cannot check the battery level of the M0 from the phone and there’s not that little headphone icon on my iPhone 6. Again, an update could probably help (the lag is definitely the priority for me).

Also when you receive Bluetooth audio the M0 is totally stuck. You have to disconnect (and “forget“ the device) from your smartphone to use the M0 again. In a way it’s kind of useful because the smartphone can override anytime what you listen but it’s still a rough behaviour. Also keeping the Bluetooth activated on the M0 considerably extend the boot time.

Overall sounds very promising.

May 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #562 of 6,413

Shanling m0 before the next update (said to make interface more speedy). Seems speedy enough.

Excuse my bad filming, I had an ipod touch held in one hand- whilst operating the Shanling m0 with the other hand.

Close enough...

Edit: Firmware version V1.0

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #563 of 6,413

Shanling m0 before the next update (said to make interface more speedy). Seems speedy enough.

Excuse my bad filming, I had an ipod touch held in one hand- whilst operating the Shanling m0 with the other hand.

Close enough...

Thanks! The video looks fine and is a testament to Apple, I have an iPhone 8 and I’m constantly amazed at the photo and vid quality.

Anyways damn in the flesh it looks close to the size of a clip with so much more packed in. Shanling never disappoints me and I can’t wait to buy one (waiting on musictek) but I have R3 coming and I will compare the sound just for poops and giggles.

I expect the little m0 will more than stand with the R3 :wink: Good thing to because my clip + is slowly losing it’s charge capacity- it’s about 6 years old. Can’t wait to try this little wonder! LDAC support is wonderful too!

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #564 of 6,413
Thanks!

I should really add in what firmware it is.

Just for clarity.

(Now i am worried whether I have the old firmware or some super secret advanced beta firmware lol).

Firmware version V1.0

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #565 of 6,413
Jaben SG Just emailed me to say that they will ship my M0 on 23rd/24th May.

FYI.

Probably limited stock and Jaben prioritized their Singapore store over their Australian branch.

This was more of an impulse buy thinking I would get it before the Hiby R3. Might use the money to buy the iBasso iT01 but will still follow this thread to read up on people's impressions.

May 11, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #566 of 6,413
Probably limited stock and Jaben prioritized their Singapore store over their Australian branch.

This was more of an impulse buy thinking I would get it before the Hiby R3. Might use the money to buy the iBasso iT01 but will still follow this thread to read up on people's impressions.

Any idea when the Hiby R3 should be selling ? I am eagerly waiting. Thanks.

May 11, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #567 of 6,413
Any idea when the Hiby R3 should be selling ? I am eagerly waiting. Thanks.

Don't want to go off topic but probably a month or two after they have shipped all the kickstarter units. Hiby rep has said they will send out emails requesting shipping information next week so they may ship everything by sometime in June depending on how fast they can make them.

May 11, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #569 of 6,413
Thanks! The video looks fine and is a testament to Apple, I have an iPhone 8 and I’m constantly amazed at the photo and vid quality.

Anyways damn in the flesh it looks close to the size of a clip with so much more packed in. Shanling never disappoints me and I can’t wait to buy one (waiting on musictek) but I have R3 coming and I will compare the sound just for ****s and giggles.

I expect the little m0 will more than stand with the R3 :wink: Good thing to because my clip + is slowly losing it’s charge capacity- it’s about 6 years old. Can’t wait to try this little wonder! LDAC support is wonderful too!

Ironically even though I have just got the R6 in, if this had been announced a few months earlier I would have held off getting that. IF Shanling add podcast/audiobook support then it'll be a purchase from me (oh who am I kidding, will probably end up with one anyway!).

Any word on uk suppliers yet?

May 11, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #570 of 6,413
Ironically even though I have just got the R6 in, if this had been announced a few months earlier I would have held off getting that. IF Shanling add podcast/audiobook support then it'll be a purchase from me (oh who am I kidding, will probably end up with one anyway!).

Any word on uk suppliers yet?

Lol I’m a sucker for small daps anyways, and this makes the R3 look like Goliath :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back