Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #5,356 of 6,413
Since the last update I had a couple of moments where the touchscreen wasn't working. I was able to change operate with the wheel (wake the device, change tracks and volume) but pressing on UI elements didn't work. It's not a hardware issue cuz when it happens I just restart the device and it works again + it never happened to me before 3.0. Anyone else?

I can confirm it happened to me too at least once or twice. Restarting the device always fixed it so I didn't give it much thought.

Sounds a bit like a memory leak, or a variable overwriting code - hanging the music app.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #5,357 of 6,413
Since the last update I had a couple of moments where the touchscreen wasn't working. I was able to change operate with the wheel (wake the device, change tracks and volume) but pressing on UI elements didn't work. It's not a hardware issue cuz when it happens I just restart the device and it works again + it never happened to me before 3.0. Anyone else?

Yes, I seem to have the same occasional issue.

I can confirm it happened to me too at least once or twice. Restarting the device always fixed it so I didn't give it much thought.

Will look into this problem.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #5,358 of 6,413
There is gapless playback for mp3 but it is not always perfect. A lot depends on how the mp3's were encoded. There are many encoders and not all do things equally well. My experience with LAME encoded mp3's I created myself has been quite good on the M0.

my LAME encoded *.mp3 doesen't play properly, there is a gap between tracks. i can't listen to sigur ros or pink floyd like this (or even daft punk, chemical brothers and a lot of classical music.. yes, i listen to very different music genres)... and i'd prefer not using flac files because of storage space. what it the exact codec you used for your tracks? funny thing is.. looks like it works for some tracks and some other don't, on the same album.. so mp3 encoded the same way...

@Shanling i really hope it will be fixed so it will work like poweramp or foobar, but maybe people doesen't care enough for some reason.. (no problems with glitching interface tho on firmware 3.0) if no firmware update with mp3 gapless fix is coming, i will return it, as i did with the fiio m3k and start the search again since i wont encode all my cd library all over again because a player doesen't work as it should..:frowning2: it works a lot better than on the fiio tho, so i want to have faith, but please keep us updated sice this will completely ruin the music experience for mixed album, which are A LOT.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #5,359 of 6,413
As I understand it; FLAC as a standard has some well defined end points and start points so gapless is fairly straightforward. I don't believe MP3 encoding is as exact, and gapless is not always assured.

As a silly question; have you verified that gapless is still turned on? I discovered after one firmware update that some of my favorite settings were not correct. So its worth looking at that.

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #5,360 of 6,413
As I understand it; FLAC as a standard has some well defined end points and start points so gapless is fairly straightforward. I don't believe MP3 encoding is as exact, and gapless is not always assured.

As a silly question; have you verified that gapless is still turned on? I discovered after one firmware update that some of my favorite settings were not correct. So its worth looking at that.
yeah i did :) i checked after update (even tho the very first thing i did was updating the firmware then setting up the player) i still can't belive how in 2019 it is so hard to find a good mp3 gapless dap. as everyone knows, foobar can do it, and on android i never had problems with it (but i'd like to have a separate player so...) here it kinda works.. but it is not consistent. some tracks are fine other not. maybe another software approach must be taken, but i really have no idea how it is done except the fact that on some players it is done flawlessly... (i also really like the m0 for its size, i can fit it on my KZ case with the IEMs in it... i don't want to return it but for me it is a dealbreaker)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #5,361 of 6,413
yeah i did :) i checked after update (even tho the very first thing i did was updating the firmware then setting up the player) i still can't belive how in 2019 it is so hard to find a good mp3 gapless dap. as everyone knows, foobar can do it, and on android i never had problems with it (but i'd like to have a separate player so...) here it kinda works.. but it is not consistent. some tracks are fine other not. maybe another software approach must be taken, but i really have no idea how it is done except the fact that on some players it is done flawlessly... (i also really like the m0 for its size, i can fit it on my KZ case with the IEMs in it... i don't want to return it but for me it is a dealbreaker)

On mine I am quite sure that there is a mini-pause even with gapless turned on. My advice, if it is that much of an issue for you, would be to rip those albums as one file instead of multiple tracks or basically just accept it. My phone definitely struggles with gapless as well but nothing I can't live with (and I like Pink Floyd too :D)

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #5,362 of 6,413
On mine I am quite sure that there is a mini-pause even with gapless turned on. My advice, if it is that much of an issue for you, would be to rip those albums as one file instead of multiple tracks or basically just accept it. My phone definitely struggles with gapless as well but nothing I can't live with (and I like Pink Floyd too :D)
Have you tried poweramp? It has perfect gapless everywhere. Reencoding everything would take forever. I have around 120gb of mp3... I'd like to be sure to play everything perfectly as it is as I do on android or pc...

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #5,363 of 6,413
Have you tried poweramp? It has perfect gapless everywhere. Reencoding everything would take forever. I have around 120gb of mp3... I'd like to be sure to play everything perfectly as it is as I do on android or pc...

When I do use my phone I use blackplayer instead. I had Poweramp and used it for ages but the options for shuffle drove me crazy. Now I either have my m0 with me or stream my music to my phone from my NAS. I am quite sure that foobar can easily combine files into one track using the converter but I appreciate it's not an ideal solution.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #5,364 of 6,413
Yeah, software team somehow didn't put in support of external playlists, apparently not popular function in China. But we talked about it and I was told next firmware update will add it.
Has it been added and do you have any documentation on it? The documentation that comes with the device is kind of minimal.

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #5,365 of 6,413
I really hope it will be fixed so it will work like poweramp or foobar, but maybe people doesen't care enough for some reason.

I would be surprised improvements would come any time soon. Most recent changes have not been related to the actual playback. More people have been begging for replaygain than gapless and no sign of it being added.

Gapless really is a matter of buffering. The player need to read ahead to the next track when it is nearing the end of the current one and not start doing it when the current track is over.

Many workarounds (as Googled) for mplayer gapless playback focusses on buffering scripts.

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #5,367 of 6,413
I would be surprised improvements would come any time soon. Most recent changes have not been related to the actual playback. More people have been begging for replaygain than gapless and no sign of it being added.

Gapless really is a matter of buffering. The player need to read ahead to the next track when it is nearing the end of the current one and not start doing it when the current track is over.

Many workarounds (as Googled) for mplayer gapless playback focusses on buffering scripts.
What is that "gain" option for? Anyway, I'm listening more right now. On somen tracks it kinda works, on others there is a gap/click. the same album plays.. badly.. compared to a proper gapless player like foobar. I can't be alone asking this...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #5,369 of 6,413
Sorry for all the posts but... Something else just happened. I left the player in standby. When I took it in my hands it said "memory card removed" then after 2 seconds "memory card inserted" restarting the scan because I have it on automatic... Of course I never touched the SD... also, sometimes when i use the time bar to move inside a track, the player got stuck and i need to presso back or forward to make it play again. i'm using a sandisk extreme 256gb (model name SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA) filled with around 120gb of mp3

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #5,370 of 6,413
It has been added. You can put m3u files on your player and use that. There is no integration between external playlist files and the built-in playlists though.
Is there any documentation anywhere about how the internal playlists work? I selected playlists, hit plus, it created an empty "Playlist1" but I can't do anything with it.

I did find one video about it, but it's super minimal (it didn't cover anything I hadn't figured out just playing with it).

Also, my first m0 was unusable, the touch screen was continually registering phantom clicks. I returned it and got a new one (from a different distributor, because I think the first one was previously returned). This one some commands work well (like swiping left and right on the top level menu), others I have to jab quite hard at the screen to get registered (like pause) or repeat the operation multiple times (like swiping right to go back). There also seems to be a way to select tracks or albums by first letter but I can only tell that because I briefly see a ghostly G or F while stroking up and down.

Surely there's some document somewhere that explains all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back