Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 4, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #3,977 of 6,413
been looking too, haven't found one yet

Well, and i think thats the main reason why people keep asking for this feature.

There is just no LDAC capable transmitter out there atm.
Adding this functionality would make the M0 an even greater deal.

And regarding the double conversion, maybe its possible to just hand the digital signal directly to the BT Chip, @Shanling ?

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #3,978 of 6,413
And regarding the double conversion, maybe its possible to just hand the digital signal directly to the BT Chip, @Shanling ?
Yes, I was wondering if this is possible. I wonder what M0 is doing when it plays a file to Bluetooth? It may be an entirely digital process.

The question is then, is it possible using the existing USB receiving hardware, to then process the digital signal in the same way?

As for USB Bluetooth adapters, it seems at least for the dozen or so I have looked at that there is no audio CODEC information. This leads me to suspect that they all support only the most basic Bluetooth CODEC.

Only when you look at Bluetooth Audio Transmitters, those with analogue inputs, do you start to see mention of AptX and so on.

So yes, I agree with you all, this would be a really useful feather in M0's cap.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,979 of 6,413
Well, i have not found any BT-Transmitters that can output LDAC yet, thats the interesting thing here i guess.

Has anyone found one?

LDAC is a software CODEC, so the device would need to have the processing power to transcode from the USB bitstream to the LDAC BT signal.

There may also be licensing issues from Sony at play, when using LDAC.

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #3,980 of 6,413
It wouldn't be working as a DAC though would it?

USB is digital.

Bluetooth is digital.

No DAC required - just a conversion of one digital signal to the other.

Of course you could convert the USB signal to analogue and then convert the analogue to Bluetooth but why would you do that when you can just output Bluetooth from the computer. It would just add extra fidelity-lowering processing in the signal path. USB Bluetooth adaptors start from about $5.

Understood, thanks. It would be fantastic to have the M0 act as a bluetooth transmitter for hifi codecs like aptX and LDAC while connected to a computer.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #3,981 of 6,413
Well, i have not found any BT-Transmitters that can output LDAC yet, thats the interesting thing here i guess.

Has anyone found one?

I guess if you need that feature then buy a Sony DAP. My old A17 can transmit LDAC and I use it with my Sony receiver. It can also transmit track meta data and playback time along with the bit rate as I can view this information on my tv screen with my Sony receiver connected via HDMI and streaming LDAC bluetooth from my A17. I can even control my A17 with my receivers remote control when using LDAC. With the right Sony equipment it is a totally awesome feature. Pretty much the only reason I haven't retired my A17.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #3,982 of 6,413
LDAC is a software CODEC, so the device would need to have the processing power to transcode from the USB bitstream to the LDAC BT signal.

There may also be licensing issues from Sony at play, when using LDAC.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony is keeping this feature for its own products to differentiate them from third party vendors who offer LDAC support.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #3,983 of 6,413
Hello, I have this M0 for 5 days and I am really fascinated !! it is incredible that it is better listened to by LDAC than by cable C, I have a Sony Xperia XZ Premium which obviously has LDAC, Android 9, why is it better listened to by Bluetooth than by cable? I do not get it? this with Deezer, with my Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms it's great to hear the playlist "Audiophile Hi-Fi test Klipch" on Deezer.

One question, I like listening to Deezer or Spotify, I've seen the new Fioo M9 which is wifi and can play Deezer and Spotify, will there really be a BIG difference between this Shanling and the Fioo M9? is it worth paying more ?? or will not it be a big difference? I appreciate your help, greetings!

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #3,984 of 6,413
Hi all, i'm currently using an iPhone SE 32GB (Don't attack me! love the size) for my portable listening needs using Lossless Plus (FLAC player) with mostly FLAC and some MP3 files (320 CD rips where possible). My phone is running out of space so instead of selling it and buying a 128GB version of the phone i looked at getting a DAP and the Shanling M0 seems to tick all the boxes. It's small, light, can be used with my phone if using streaming services, use in my car via Aux or bluetooth but i have a couple of questions.

I would pair it with a 128GB SD card and the T2 Tin Audio Pro IEM's (haven't bought yet) without needing my phone. It seems like a good budget setup that hopefully is a nice step up in quality. It's also attractive to be able to carry the majority of my music collection with me on such a small, light device.

If it's connected via bluetooth to car, is it correct that i won't be able to control the playback from my car? (next track, previous track etc) My phone allows me to control everything through my car's stereo.
Is it a big step up in quality over using a phone?
The other thing that concerns me is the touch screen interface and the big text. Is it difficult to use when navigating songs or folders? I mainly select a folder or album and let it play through or shuffle play. I don't care about fast forward and rewinding tracks. The double and triple button assignment means i can hopefully use it without looking at the screen (next and previous track would be perfect).
What colour does everyone like? :) I'm torn between titanium and black. The black is classic, doesn't stand out and timeless but a little boring where as titanium makes it really look like a premium player.
Are there any other contenders in this price bracket? I looked at the Cowon Plenue D but it's double the price and less portable.

I have done lots of research and it looks like the best value for money player in terms of features, size, sound quality and price. I looked at the M1 as the screen is a little bigger but the M0 seems to be a better option overall.

Sorry if these questions have been answered already!

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #3,985 of 6,413
Let’s not let any of these posts distract us from thinking “Why the hell are there no screen protectors??” Not even after market, come on China get to work.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #3,986 of 6,413
@Shanling any update atall on when Custom EQ options will be rolling out for the M0? Was really hopeful that we were to get custom EQ atleast in 2018. To me thats the only one serious feature that is holding this tiny wonderful player back from really shining. In the least, a temporary timeline would be a good start please.

Its not really satisfying to see basic products from Fiio like the BTR3 also get full customization of sound + an android / ios app for the phone to tweak everything whereas the M0 is still waiting to get all these enhancements.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #3,987 of 6,413
@Shanling any update atall on when Custom EQ options will be rolling out for the M0? Was really hopeful that we were to get custom EQ atleast in 2018. To me thats the only one serious feature that is holding this tiny wonderful player back from really shining. In the least, a temporary timeline would be a good start please.

Its not really satisfying to see basic products from Fiio like the BTR3 also get full customization of sound + an android / ios app for the phone to tweak everything whereas the M0 is still waiting to get all these enhancements.
Wouldn’t hurt

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #3,988 of 6,413
If it's connected via bluetooth to car, is it correct that i won't be able to control the playback from my car? (next track, previous track etc) My phone allows me to control everything through my car's stereo.
The other thing that concerns me is the touch screen interface and the big text. Is it difficult to use when navigating songs or folders? I mainly select a folder or album and let it play through or shuffle play. I don't care about fast forward and rewinding tracks. The double and triple button assignment means i can hopefully use it without looking at the screen (next and previous track would be perfect).
What colour does everyone like? :) I'm torn between titanium and black. The black is classic, doesn't stand out and timeless but a little boring where as titanium makes it really look like a premium player.

It little depends on your exact car stereo. With BT headphones/speakers, you can fully control the M0's playback over their controls.
Screen is smaller, so can take some short time to get used to, but after some time you will fly through any menus in seconds.
You can set double and triple click as you wish for pause/next/previous.
Red is my favorite. Purple is the most unique.

@Shanling any update atall on when Custom EQ options will be rolling out for the M0? Was really hopeful that we were to get custom EQ atleast in 2018. To me thats the only one serious feature that is holding this tiny wonderful player back from really shining. In the least, a temporary timeline would be a good start please..

No time update on that.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #3,989 of 6,413
It little depends on your exact car stereo. With BT headphones/speakers, you can fully control the M0's playback over their controls.
Screen is smaller, so can take some short time to get used to, but after some time you will fly through any menus in seconds.
You can set double and triple click as you wish for pause/next/previous.
Red is my favorite. Purple is the most unique.

No time update on that.

Thanks for your reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back