Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 30, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #2,896 of 6,413
If it was any smaller you would have to get a child to control it for you. :baby:
If said child can read - no need for audiobook support while driving... :wink:

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #2,897 of 6,413
Maybe his hands seem tiny cause the M0 is sooo big!! :)
Could be big compared to his phone.

giphy.gif

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #2,900 of 6,413
If said child can read - no need for audiobook support while driving... :wink:

True as long as all you listen to is children books as I wouldn't want my daughter reading me Stephen King, it would give her nightmares forever. :L3000:

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,901 of 6,413
True as long as all you listen to is children books as I wouldn't want my daughter reading me Stephen King, it would give her nightmares forever. :L3000:
Haha. good point :wink:

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #2,902 of 6,413
I realy like the control with the wheel.
- turn the wheel for volume change
- press two times to skip a song (can be configured)
. long press for shutdown

The scroll wheel would be fine if it was more accurate and didn't cause the volume to jump up sometimes when you try to turn it down, and click sometimes unintentionally. Oh I get how the wheel works, took all of 5 seconds to figure it out but it still needs improvement to be truly functional. Since I use the screen for most things I typically use the on screen icons to change songs and only use the wheel to turn on and off and change volume as I hate the volume slider. To me there are two ways to change volume and neither works particularly well, and I still think simple + and - on screen icons with a volume display for volume changes would be an easier and far more accurate option. I have the default volume at 50 and never go above 60 so for me pressing + or - a couple of times would work fine or hold for bigger volume changes. Worst case its another option to change volume, use whichever works best for you.

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,904 of 6,413
So is rock box just going to add audiobook support and replaygain or will it allow other things as well? Never used a rock boxed DAP before.

Parametric EQ, tone controls, stereo widening, crossfade, games, crazy customization, pitch and tempo controls, Apps, so much it’s hard to explain. If you go on their site and look at a manual you will see how complex it is.

And the more complex the system, dac/cpu the more they can add and tweak the os.

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #2,906 of 6,413
Hello!
The day before yesterday I bought this little box-M0. It's so small and cool. He plays music, shows the covers. Great!
But! When I try to play the SACD ISO image, only the first 11 tracks are played well. The 12th and all the others are reproduced as 11th track. What the ... How so? Please, fix it !!!
It turns out that if the tracks do not switch, but listen to the tracks one by one and so the entire disc-everything is reproduced in order. And if you switch the tracks, the playback loops on the 12th track.
The tracks of DSF 64 and 128 when playing them with M0 on the Mojo DAC are interrupted. This can not be heard.
Pleases very much work with cue files.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,907 of 6,413
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or otherwise addressed, but numerous people have mentioned that the M0 has a bright sound. I can confirm this to be true and have taken some frequency response measurements. As we can see from the below graph, the M0 unfortunately does not have a flat response. I don't know if this is something that @Shanling can correct within a firmware update, but if it is possible, then I really hope they do fix it.

m0.jpg

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #2,908 of 6,413
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or otherwise addressed, but numerous people have mentioned that the M0 has a bright sound. I can confirm this to be true and have taken some frequency response measurements. As we can see from the below graph, the M0 unfortunately does not have a flat response. I don't know if this is something that @Shanling can correct within a firmware update, but if it is possible, then I really hope they do fix it.

Bit of synergy then, just use warmer iems to balance it out I would imagine.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #2,909 of 6,413

How did you measure this? I also used an RTA in REW and got an FR very different from yours:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-es9218p-fw-2-1.874859/page-124#post-14350689

An 8 dB bump in the treble would be unheard of - in any DAP. I have a hard time believing that's right.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #2,910 of 6,413
How did you measure this? I also used an RTA in REW and got an FR very different from yours:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-es9218p-fw-2-1.874859/page-124#post-14350689

An 8 dB bump in the treble would be unheard of - in any DAP. I have a hard time believing that's right.

I agree, it is a bit strange. When I saw it I thought, nah that can't be right, so I double checked with other devices I have around, and they all gave me a flat response as expected. I used REW's generator to save a 24-bit full range White PN track (65536 length) and then played that track from the M0 (or other device)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back