Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #2,866 of 6,413
Audiobooks? What’s next, sliced bread? Geez I like to read, not hear some plebe dictate a story- badly.

I suppose you guys will be telling me we have robot vacuums next lol

Audiobooks are great for long drives as I don't want to listen to nothing but music for hours on end. When I was living and working in St Louis I had to go back to Canada for 24 hours every year and drove to Buffalo NY and accross to Fort Erie. Then cross back over to states to get my work permit renewed. The drive was 13 hours each way so I would bring my portable CD player with an audiobook burned to CD and listen to it on the drive up and back. It really helps to pass the time on long monotonous drives. If you have ever driven to the northeast US pretty dreary to say the least and not much to look at.

I read books as well but there are times when audiobooks are a great option

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #2,867 of 6,413
Tried reading while driving to work, but that seems to have scared the living hell of the other drivers around me... They started dodging me and honking, across all 3 lanes of the highway - go figure!! :wink:

Yeah I found that to be true to, I guess you could always hire someone to read to you while you drove then you wouldn't need audiobook support.:deadhorse:

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #2,868 of 6,413
Rockbox is lovely software, if you have time to set it up properly and are interested in reading manual with over 100 pages.

Not something really suited for common customer.

But if there is some group interested into adopting Rockbox to M0, I will do my best to help them with it.

Thank you, will try to find out more about it.

Not sure who Fiio contacted.

On our side, we want to make basic audiobook/podcasts app, with key features like bookmarking, remembering positions for each file, controlling the speed of playback.
So any audiobook you have in MP3 from whatever source, or podcast you just downloaded from soundcloud, will work.

If you are using audiobooks from some closed system and with DRM, there the chances are quite limited. These big players keeping their "treasure" safe are not interested into third party apps, especially since it's some unknown device for small market.
For the same reason you will likely never see Spotify support outside of Android DAPs.

That would be great if you can do that, just makes the M0 more of a keeper having features that other DAP's don't.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #2,869 of 6,413
What real world usage in hours are people getting from this when playing FLAC/DSD and with minimal use of the screen? I play full albums and after 3 albums or so, it’s down to 1 or 2 bars. I’ve read somewhere, I think, that the battery indicator is not that accurate so maybe 1 bar is still good for a couple more hours.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #2,870 of 6,413
Mojo owner here, ordered this little beast by its size.
Bit perfect or not, Im absolutely sure it pair beautifully with it. :beerchug:
It pairs beautifully. My fav set up at the moment.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #2,871 of 6,413
What real world usage in hours are people getting from this when playing FLAC/DSD and with minimal use of the screen? I play full albums and after 3 albums or so, it’s down to 1 or 2 bars. I’ve read somewhere, I think, that the battery indicator is not that accurate so maybe 1 bar is still good for a couple more hours.

Yeah, battery indicator can be sometimes way off. Until you try to run it dry, it's hard to judge.

I hope we can make it more accurate.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 30, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #2,872 of 6,413
Yeah, battery indicator can be sometimes way off. Until you try to run it dry, it's hard to judge.

I hope we can make it more accurate.
Since I’m a whole album listener I think I should be safe for 10 albums or so. I shall experiment and see. Thanks.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #2,874 of 6,413
If you are throwing your M0 in the bin please throw it my way instead. Thanks. :smile_phones:

What if it is to far for that person to throw, I mean I have a strong arm but it would take a hell of a throw to get it all the way to you.:ksc75smile:

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #2,876 of 6,413
But if there is some group interested into adopting Rockbox to M0, I will do my best to help them with it.
The first tip is to make the player friendly to the custom firmware - it's need to be able to easily flash or restore it to the factory firmware from brick state without disassembling.
The hiby software had such possibility.
The second tip is to make the firmware itself easier to compile and decompile. Now your firmware is like a cabbage. What for?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #2,878 of 6,413
The first tip is to make the player friendly to the custom firmware - it's need to be able to easily flash or restore it to the factory firmware from brick state without disassembling.
The hiby software had such possibility.
The second tip is to make the firmware itself easier to compile and decompile. Now your firmware is like a cabbage. What for?

Easiest way I can think of would be to allow a custom application to be run from the SD card if it exists? Starting that application instead of the standard shanling-player at that point. It would also need to make the SD card writable in that case so this custom app can write its settings.

Without a reliable way to get into recovery mode on the M0 and re-flash the original firmware other attempts would be risking to brick the player.

The basic Linux of the M0 can be untouched that way, it would just need a modification to the script currently starting up shanling-player?

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #2,879 of 6,413
I don't know if this has been discussed, but a percenteage would be nice for the battery indicator. For this to be another option for showing the battery levels could be nice.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,880 of 6,413
is there a way to lock or deactivate the main button?
especially when playing
mine keeps turning on or off when I don't want it too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back