Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 25, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #4,531 of 6,413
Here's a thought.

Wouldn't it be really cool if the name of the companion app were to be 'ShanLink' if and when it comes out.

People's thoughts?
Then they need a celebrity spokesman to promote the players. Maybe this guy...
24-garry-shandling.w700.h700.jpg

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #4,532 of 6,413
Upon further investigation I found that 'é and ¿" were the characters stopping my 490+ song playlist from working properly. I removed those characters from the playlist and the song title and all is well.

Okaaay, Got it. Was being super curious myself.

My m3u playlists are created encoded using ANSI (default program behaviour, can't be changed). If I save them as UTF-8 manually, they work no problem. Even if they have the extended info.
Honestly, my new playlists with no extended info are still encoded using ANSI and yet all work perfecly. It seems that by not using special characters from the tags it doesn't cause problems.

I guess that the M1 was able to read ANSI playlists with special characters and M0 can't.
Seems as playlist encoded using ANSI are not fully supported.

Mistery solved I guess, haha. Your PC is probably just trying to read them as UTF-8 (IDK, not an expert).
Can you ask your team for proper playlist support when encoded using ANSI?

Thank you very much for reporting this, will send it to software team to consider how to fix this.

Then they need a celebrity spokesman to promote the players. Maybe this guy...

@paddler57 Lived: Nov 29, 1949 - Mar 24, 2016 (age 66)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 26, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #4,533 of 6,413
hey fellas,

may i know if anyone uses their M0 with iphone x?

intend to use my iphone x as source and stream to M0

understand M0 is bluetooth 4.1 while iphone x is 5.0

how's the quality like so far?

M0 will power EX800ST and Acoustune 1650

thanks all =)

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #4,534 of 6,413
I've encountered a problem with the bluetooth, but I can't really say it is the fault of the M0, just fishing around for possible solutions.

I have used the AAC codec on the M0 before with bluetooth over-ear headphones and they worked very well. Recently though, I got a true wireless earphone that supports SBC and AAC. It works fine on SBC, but on AAC, it connects and no sound comes out. You can tell that it is trying to play something because the background hiss kind of leaves when I hit play, but there is no music, just an absence of hiss. It almost feels like when my android phone connected in phone audio but not media audio. Anyways, I am still waiting for a response from the earphone makers, but I am wondering if there is any solution or anything I can do on the M0 side of things to push it into working properly.

I have this problem with a pair of headphones (Phillips SHB8750NC) that worked fine before the 2.3 or 2.2 firmware update, and worked fine with other devices. Sometimes it connects and you get silence, or choppy audio - the latter especially when it's auto-connected after being previously connected, resuming the connection. You have to disconnect and restart the phones, sometimes switch off BT and restart that, before it connects properly and you can hear audio or get audio that doesn't constantly skip (sounds like the track is being fast forwarded?).

The choppy audio is also an issue with my iPod, so that might be the 'phones - but the silence issue is M0 alone. Doesn't happen with other things, so I wonder if the BT 'improvements' did something to the connection?

My phones should use AAC, I wanted aptx but they are supposed to support AAC but I find they tend to only connect SBC with my Mac which is annoying...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #4,535 of 6,413
@fish1050
Interesting idea for touch screen. Just thinking how would you need to set scrolling? You need precise movements, so highlight can get on the exact item you want. But at the same time, that would extremely slow down any browsing of bigger lists.

Hi again,

Well, the type of scrolling could just be set in the settings via a simple two position option.
You (shanling) could as well chose one of both and don't allow to change it (both ways are fine to me).

To answer your second question, yes relative position precision is important (how long and how fast a swipe motion is) but absolute is not (where you tap on the screen).

At last, it wouldn't be slower to use if you keep the scrolling inertia as it is (the screen keeps scrolling after you swiped).

Thank you very much for your quick answer.
It is pleasing to see a manufacturer showing so much considaration for it's customers.

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #4,536 of 6,413
Shanling M0 is my first DAP and here's my feedback about the device:
1. I'd love to have an option to turn off FLAC/MP3/etc icons. They steal the precious space. Besides, FLAC and MP3 icons having the same color is kinda weird.
2. Double/triple clicking is okay, but I would like to be able to switch tracks with the wheel when the screen is off. Of course the wheel would be less sensitive in this option - let's say 90° clockwise = next track and 90° counterclockwise = previous track. Volume changing only with the screen turned on (when we get the replaygain option, we won't have to adjust volume so often).
3. I'd like to have more freedom in setting the sleep timer. For now we have fixed options: 15/30/60/120/180 min. I wish I could set it at 1h 15 min if I wanted to.
4. How do I rename playlists?
5. I can transfer audio files from my phone via OTG (usb cable). Would be great if we could not only play them via bluetooth but also transfer them via bluetooth.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #4,537 of 6,413
hey fellas,

thanks all =)

Haven't tried with iPhones , but it works connected via BT with my smartphone (Mi Max 3)

It will work as a BT device regardless of the BT versions, BT is backwards compatible

Quality is very good, for the price :)

I am not sure, but it should power those okay. Testing with HS1650CU, the pairing sounds fairly good!

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #4,538 of 6,413
I have an iPhone SE with lots of AAC and use the M0 as BT receiver. It's a noticeable SQ improvement to the 3.5mm jack from the phone itself. I assume backwards compatibility just means the iPhone X will 'dumb down' to 4.1...

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #4,539 of 6,413
Could someone please clarify for me if the amp portion of the M0 while connected with pc in DAC mode with "LO" set in the "output option." be skipped? and only output processed data to external amp?

So essentially what I want to know is whether or not I can use the M0 as a standalone dac with my pc and external amp with 3.5 input option. Thanks

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #4,540 of 6,413
Could someone please clarify for me if the amp portion of the M0 while connected with pc in DAC mode with "LO" set in the "output option." be skipped? and only output processed data to external amp?

So essentially what I want to know is whether or not I can use the M0 as a standalone dac with my pc and external amp with 3.5 input option. Thanks
No.

This was answered in the last 2 pages.

Amp and Dac are together. LO mode is just fixed volume PO.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #4,543 of 6,413
1. I'd love to have an option to turn off FLAC/MP3/etc icons. They steal the precious space. Besides, FLAC and MP3 icons having the same color is kinda weird.
2. Double/triple clicking is okay, but I would like to be able to switch tracks with the wheel when the screen is off. Of course the wheel would be less sensitive in this option - let's say 90° clockwise = next track and 90° counterclockwise = previous track. Volume changing only with the screen turned on (when we get the replaygain option, we won't have to adjust volume so often).
3. I'd like to have more freedom in setting the sleep timer. For now we have fixed options: 15/30/60/120/180 min. I wish I could set it at 1h 15 min if I wanted to.
5. I can transfer audio files from my phone via OTG (usb cable). Would be great if we could not only play them via bluetooth but also transfer them via bluetooth.

Honestly you can do away with the file format icon altogether as far as I care. If you really need to know the file type look at the track info. The real estate for track name should be the priority or you could use a smaller icon and a color code for the format type.

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #4,544 of 6,413

Yes, you can. Just use the phones out as a line out. I don't have it in my hand right now and I have to go but if there is no line out setting in the setting screen, just turn the volume up to maximum.

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #4,545 of 6,413
hey fellas,

thanks all =)

It works without problems with latest iPhones using AAC codec.

I have this problem with a pair of headphones (Phillips SHB8750NC) that worked fine before the 2.3 or 2.2 firmware update, and worked fine with other devices. Sometimes it connects and you get silence, or choppy audio - the latter especially when it's auto-connected after being previously connected, resuming the connection. You have to disconnect and restart the phones, sometimes switch off BT and restart that, before it connects properly and you can hear audio or get audio that doesn't constantly skip (sounds like the track is being fast forwarded?).

The choppy audio is also an issue with my iPod, so that might be the 'phones - but the silence issue is M0 alone. Doesn't happen with other things, so I wonder if the BT 'improvements' did something to the connection?

My phones should use AAC, I wanted aptx but they are supposed to support AAC but I find they tend to only connect SBC with my Mac which is annoying...

Thanks, will see if we can replicate this problem with any of our BT headphones.

1. We are discussing some changes to UI.
2. Not planning to adding such function of wheel turns changing tracks.
3. Will see if I can talk with them about adding some other time settings.
4. Currently there is no way how to rename playlists.
5. This seems like something that would take significant work, yet would be used by very limited amount of users. So unfortunately no.

ES9218P is combined SoC, signal always goes through its amplifier stage.

Of course you can use it with external amplifier, without any problems.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back