1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shanling M0 - Nano size, touch screen, LDAC & aptX BT, USB DAC/transport and ESS Sabre ES9218P, FW 3.2

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Shanling, Mar 16, 2018.
First

Back
284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293
295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304
Next

Last
  1. majo123
    It even fits in my er3xr pouch which are my work iems ...excellent!
    IMG_20190115_073148.jpg

barondla and DBaldock9 like this.
  2. salla45
    I would l just like to say that the Clip cover should be supplied as a matter of course with the player. That's a no brainer marketing decision. Even put it 5usd more. Its a major selling point to have the ability to clip the device onto any bit of clothing.

3. Nolbert0
    Although it does make you wonder if people who aren't "in the hobby" or a hoarder past a certain age still possess that much music. Especially more recent music. With the advent of Spotify etc, there hasn't been a need to "buy music" for a hot minute.

4. salla45
    very true, but Im using mine half as a Bluetooth receiver and half as a standalone player. It competes head on with the likes of the XB10 as a bluetooth receiver (which i bought for the same price as the M0) and of course has the full player functionality to boot!

So in this regard, it's master of all really, for those that are in the cellphone streaming camp and want a clip on and hq sound solution, or those who are simply seeking a small player (or both, like me :) ).

5. fish1050
    You would be surprised, all my nieces and nephews all have large CD collections and a couple are now buying vinyl. Never thought that would happen, I think I have alot to do with that as they come to me for advice about audio gear all the time and they love listening to my DAP's. I set them up so they can rip from vinyl to their computers and add to their music collections. Managed to get my brother to finally ditch itunes after 15 years and he just bought a Sony A45 and loves it. Especially being able to simply copy his music to the player and not have to sync anymore with idiot tunes.

A little education goes a long way! It took me showing them the benefit of carrying your music vs just streaming it. If you carry your own tunes then you like everything you hear vs hit and miss with streaming.

My brother sent a portable hard drive to a radio DJ friend in Vancouver who in turn sent him back the drive with over 100,000 songs released between 1958 and 2008. That is how crazy he is about his music collection.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. Nolbert0
    Wow, it really does. Keep up the good work! Having a passionate hobbyist around certainly would influence things. But I wonder how much of the global population that uses smartphones has somebody like us in their life? ...Enough to keep an entire industry going, I guess? Maybe @Shanling could chime in if they want on the current state/projected growth of the personal audio market. I'd be very interested to know.

Of course it makes sense but I think it's ironic (and funny) that the people least affected by dropping the headphone jack was us, the audio lot.

7. fish1050
    I think with smartphones going to non-replaceable batteries and the iphones getting insanely expensive, this the time DAP's can make a dent. Also, the disappearance of the headphone jack is another. I don't know a single person who has bought a new smartphone in the last year, in fact all my friends phones are at least two years old.

I don't know about Asia but I am finding more and more people here are holding onto their phones longer. There really is no compelling reason for most people to upgrade their phones. So keep your old phone and buy a DAP instead, maybe that should be Shanling's new slogan.:) Keep your phone running longer and enjoy better quality sound.

8. salla45
    Oddly enough my wife was moaning b4 xmas that she wanted to listen to music but definitely NOT on her Iphone. She wanted to have a dedicated player and that was that, free from notifications, and calls, messages and such. I got her a Fiio M9 for xmas, she's pretty happy with that :)

Spoke to my brother in law yesterday and showed him the M0, he said "that's exactly what I need!! my phone's too big for general listening and i need something for excercise and travel"

So, yes there is a market for quality small DAPs. This is really a good market spot filler.

barondla and fish1050 like this.
  9. fish1050
    Apple getting out of the DAP market has brought sanity back to the world.

barondla and Nolbert0 like this.
  10. salla45
    I made a faux pas also over xmas, my mother in law was here and wanted me to put some music on her shiny new Apple (she'd emigrated from a lifetime with Samsung a month before). I made the mistake of bursting out laughing shaking my head and saying "sorry that's on my life's too short list, haha". She was very downcast and I really got a kick in from my wife later on... Still, she (the Motherinlaw) might be on the cards for a shanling m0...

11. Blazer39
    haha..i have tried inserting my M0 in many IEMs cases, always fits in :p

barondla, DBaldock9 and majo123 like this.
  12. fish1050
    Yeah you have to be careful with those Appleonians, they've been brainwashed so long by Steve Jobs that you'll have to pry their iphones from their cold dead hands. Even after they drop them and crack the heck out of them they still won't give them up. I can't remember the last time I saw someone with an iphone that didn't have at least one crack. :L3000:

13. salla45
    Ouch... haha... that's so funny.

DBaldock9 likes this.
  14. ColdsnapBry
    Well didn't do this last night. Might have just been user error. I will be mindful of shutting it completely off when not in use.

Love this DAP so far. I got rid of my smart phone for 2019 because I felt like it was distracting me so much. Which led me into needing a DAP, this is a great way to dip my toe into the audiophile hobby without dropping a small fortune.

barondla likes this.
  15. Nolbert0
    This is a very interesting turn of events. The smartphone makers really are losing losing the plot. I guess it's the nature of the beast when you already have a mature product in a very saturated market. I was an android user for the longest time but this time last year, I made the regretfully unavoidable decision to switch from android back to the dreaded half-eaten fruit (iPhone SE) purely for it's size because I want to be able to sit straight without having to empty out my pockets of the most valuable things I carry, or be stuck with 'my first smartphone'. I'm 167cm and 59kg so there isn't a lot of 'real estate' for EDC. Being able to use a phone one-handed isn't too much to ask, is it?

Getting this iPhone took me back to 2007 when I got my iPod 5.5G and had to grudgingly learn to circumvent Apple's convoluted ox-faeces to do some really basic stuff - like transfer music from iPod to computer ***. Nothing seemed has changed over 10 years later. I'm forced to (first convert, then) listen to AAC wired or bluetooth, no AptX or LDAC, no native FLAC support but most of all, I hate being forced into using iTunes with a passion matched only by the darkest souls. I would never have bought an iPhone if it wasn't for it's outdated design.

If only there was a decent android phone about the size and weight of an M3s, I could be unshackled from this malustic hell (yes, I just made up a word).

First

Back
284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293
295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304
Next

Last