Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,346 of 6,413
Unfortunately it seems that that headfonics reviewer does not yet understand that it's the sensitivity/efficiency that matters more than the impedance (as well as whether it's a closed back, open back, or iem).
The M0 can drive the Pinnacle P1 which is rated at 50-ohm and 96dB/mW (which equates to 109dB/V) in low gain. Your DT's 250-ohm and 102dB/mW converts to 108dB/V, so the M0 should be fine at driving it in high gain

Hi Theo,

Hmm. Very interesting!

What is the formula you're using to come up with that?

Also, what is the max impedance the M0 can drive while in High Gain mode?

Thanks so much!!

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #3,347 of 6,413
Hi Theo,

Hmm. Very interesting!

What is the formula you're using to come up with that?

Also, what is the max impedance the M0 can drive while in High Gain mode?

Thanks so much!!

Again, it's impossible to say what the max impedance would be since the impedance is not the deciding factor. If the headphones had an impedance of 20-ohm but a sensitivity of just 90dB/mW it would require more power than your 250-ohm DT.

The formula used to convert from dB/mW to dB/V:

dB/V = (dB/mW) - (10*(LOG(impedance/1000)))

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #3,348 of 6,413
Again, it's impossible to say what the max impedance would be since the impedance is not the deciding factor. If the headphones had an impedance of 20-ohm but a sensitivity of just 90dB/mW it would require more power than your 250-ohm DT.

The formula used to convert from dB/mW to dB/V:

dB/V = (dB/mW) - (10*(LOG(impedance/1000)))

Hmm ok. Thanks!

I tried to find calculators for that but they seemed a bit too complicated for me.

I just realized the M0 is a DAP! So does that mean it can't be as used as an external BT amp/DAC?

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #3,349 of 6,413
Hmm ok. Thanks!

I tried to find calculators for that but they seemed a bit too complicated for me.

I just realized the M0 is a DAP! So does that mean it can't be as used as an external BT amp/DAC?

Ignore last question. I just confirmed it can be used as two-way Bluetooth device.

I also would like to know if anyone can confirm that it works with Poweramp, and also, how it compares with the LG V30 (with Quad DAC) in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,350 of 6,413
Hey George!

I C. No I'm driving my 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (102 db/SPL sensitivity).

I just a bit ago found this review by Headfonics (see excerpt below) which basically proves it can't handle 250 ohms. So I think when I upgrade my LG V30 to my next phone (which very likely won't be an LG with Quad DAC) I will have to instead buy the Ampio G1 VD-6880, which can most definitely handle well over 250 ohms.

Driving Power

The specs say it is recommended up to 300ohm and I intensely disagree with anyone recommending anything that difficult to drive for usage with this M0. It struggles with 120ohm and does not have nearly enough power to do justice to needy headphones. Stick with typical portables, 32ohm and under, maybe even up to 80ohm and you should be just fine.

Thanks so much anyway!!

I see :)

Welp, MX4 has less impedance, but Planars like some current to do their job best :)

Still, they sound rather nice from M0 to my ears.

I've been using M0 to drive my car's audio head and it also works well that way right now.

Will see if I can do some more tests, maybe one with Amiron.

Unfortunately it seems that that headfonics reviewer does not yet understand that it's the sensitivity/efficiency that matters more than the impedance (as well as whether it's a closed back, open back, or iem).
The M0 can drive the Pinnacle P1 which is rated at 50-ohm and 96dB/mW (which equates to 109dB/V) in low gain. Your DT's 250-ohm and 102dB/mW converts to 108dB/V, so the M0 should be fine at driving it in high gain

For loudness alone, I agree, though I had the experience where a device could push a headphone rather loud, but it also had significant distortion when pushed so much...

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #3,351 of 6,413
I see :)

Welp, MX4 has less impedance, but Planars like some current to do their job best :)

Still, they sound rather nice from M0 to my ears.

I've been using M0 to drive my car's audio head and it also works well that way right now.

Will see if I can do some more tests, maybe one with Amiron.

For loudness alone, I agree, though I had the experience where a device could push a headphone rather loud, but it also had significant distortion when pushed so much...

Nice! Yeah with Amiron would be great cuz they're 250 ohms too (and open-back).

Yeah I want it to be ABLE to get loud (if needed, for quieter recordings) but NO distortion or hiss either! lol

Anyone here ever pit the M0 against the Sabaj Da2, Da3, Ampio G1, or AudioQuest DragonFly Red?? (or others related) Thoughts and impressions??

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,353 of 6,413
Is it possible to control the volume on a usb dongle? I am trying to use the VE Odyssey with the Shanling M0, and it says audio connected, but the volume is at maximum and doesn't go down. I can't find anywhere else to adjust the volume.

Nope.

The whole purpose of the USB output is to pass the digital data through in its original form. Once you start reducing the volume in the digital domain you are literally removing some of the data.

Your only option would be to use headphones that have an online remote (or change out the cable of your headphones if you can)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,354 of 6,413
Nope.

The whole purpose of the USB output is to pass the digital data through in its original form. Once you start reducing the volume in the digital domain you are literally removing some of the data.

Your only option would be to use headphones that have an online remote (or change out the cable of your headphones if you can)
Some USB devices can be sent volume levels via USB, as well as the digital sound data as 16/44 or whatever. The volume level that is sent over USB doesn't affect the PCM data. I tried my B&W MM-1 speakers with the M0 as they are a USB device whose volume can be controlled via USB, but the volume control of the M0 had no effect. I'm not surprised really and I wasn't expecting it to work, but maybe it could be enabled in a future firmware update I don't know.

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,355 of 6,413
Some USB devices can be sent volume levels via USB, as well as the digital sound data as 16/44 or whatever. The volume level that is sent over USB doesn't affect the PCM data. I tried my B&W MM-1 speakers with the M0 as they are a USB device whose volume can be controlled via USB, but the volume control of the M0 had no effect. I'm not surprised really and I wasn't expecting it to work, but maybe it could be enabled in a future firmware update I don't know.

Perhaps this was just a slight misunderstanding, as I know some devices can control the volume, but I was answering your question in context of the M0 specifically.

I'm admittedly no electrical engineer, but, as far as I am aware, ANY digital volume control which takes place in the digital domain MUST result in an alteration of the actual data.

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,356 of 6,413
Perhaps this was just a slight misunderstanding, as I know some devices can control the volume, but I was answering your question in context of the M0 specifically.

I'm admittedly no electrical engineer, but, as far as I am aware, ANY digital volume control which takes place in the digital domain MUST result in an alteration of the actual data.
There is no reason that a device like the M0 couldn't control of my MM-1 USB speakers via USB, which is clearly 'digital' but not 'in the digital domain' as you say in the sense that it doesn't control the volume level by altering the PCM data.

There is a point in using the M0 just as a transport to a higher quality DAC/Amp and I personally use it with my Chord Hugo, iFi Black Label Micro iDSD and iFi Nano iDSD. But I looked up what an 'VE Odyssey' and found it is a super budget device, and so I'm not clear why the OP of the question doesn't just use the M0 to drive their headphones as it is probably a better DAC/amp than the VE Odyssey.

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #3,357 of 6,413
There is no reason that a device like the M0 couldn't control of my MM-1 USB speakers via USB, which is clearly 'digital' but not 'in the digital domain' as you say in the sense that it doesn't control the volume level by altering the PCM data.

There is a point in using the M0 just as a transport to a higher quality DAC/Amp and I personally use it with my Chord Hugo, iFi Black Label Micro iDSD and iFi Nano iDSD. But I looked up what an 'VE Odyssey' and found it is a super budget device, and so I'm not clear why the OP of the question doesn't just use the M0 to drive their headphones as it is probably a better DAC/amp than the VE Odyssey.

Curiosity...different sound signatures...I like earbuds, and thought the Odyssey was set up specifically to sound better with earbuds. It sounds nice coming out of my speakers though.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,359 of 6,413
Any update on how to make and transfer playlists from your computer to the m0? I would love if the m0 could accept a m3u8 playlist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back