Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 4, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #2,986 of 6,413
Okey maybe I am expecting to much but I don't think we need to see every update at once. I would just be happy with an update on what to expect and some kind of timeline. No there are not major bugs per se but still some features that users like myself are waiting on. Just seeing for example replaygain or external playlist support as an appetizer fw update to show they are still working on things. Nothing wrong with rolling out updates in stages vs a bunch of stuff all at once. I mean the more you pack into a single fw update the greater the chance something could go awry. Easier to beta test a few updates vs a whole slew at once or am I wrong?

Again I am new to this whole needing firmware updates to add features dance. Wait to long and I may start looking for a new dance partner DAP wise at least, still happily married for now.:smile_phones:

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,987 of 6,413
Okey maybe I am expecting to much but I don't think we need to see every update at once. I would just be happy with an update on what to expect and some kind of timeline. No there are not major bugs per se but still some features that users like myself are waiting on. Just seeing for example replaygain or external playlist support as an appetizer fw update to show they are still working on things. Nothing wrong with rolling out updates in stages vs a bunch of stuff all at once. I mean the more you pack into a single fw update the greater the chance something could go awry. Easier to beta test a few updates vs a whole slew at once or am I wrong?

Again I am new to this whole needing firmware updates to add features dance. Wait to long and I may start looking for a new dance partner DAP wise at least, still happily married for now.:smile_phones:

It is annoying when daps are advertised with certain features with the caveat of (future firmware release) for said feature. I don’t think you should advertise the feature until you get it. Not as a ‘future’ thing because who knows what can happen in the meantime.

Referring to hiby R3 and hidiz AP80 and LDAC. R3 finally got it and ‘hopefully’ AP80 will get it also... someday............

Sep 4, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #2,988 of 6,413
Is it normal for the "My Music" update to scan ALL files every time it runs? Do I actually have to wait for it to scan my thousands of files every single time?!

(Sorry if this has been discussed already).

Sep 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,989 of 6,413
Is it normal for the "My Music" update to scan ALL files every time it runs? Do I actually have to wait for it to scan my thousands of files every single time?!

(Sorry if this has been discussed already).

You can change it to scan automatically or manually. Just change the setting to manual.

I think its in the update database setting.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #2,990 of 6,413
You can change it to scan automatically or manually. Just change the setting to manual.

I think its in the update database setting.
Yes, I'm aware of the automatic & manual options; I was mainly just complaining that it takes so long to update, and anytime you add/remove anything, you need to run the update...

Guess I'll just have to get used to allowing enough time.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,991 of 6,413
Interesting. I think I just read that you can stream BT from the smartphone to M0?

This might be my solution I'm looking for in the gym! Can I stream all audio from a smartphone to M0 including Video apps like Netflix? Will there be AV sync issues (delay in the audio from video)?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2,992 of 6,413
Interesting. I think I just read that you can stream BT from the smartphone to M0?

This might be my solution I'm looking for in the gym! Can I stream all audio from a smartphone to M0 including Video apps like Netflix? Will there be AV sync issues (delay in the audio from video)?
there is a slight AV sync issue but may not be too noticeable. But for audio, its perfect, it even does ldac

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #2,993 of 6,413
there is a slight AV sync issue but may not be too noticeable. But for audio, its perfect, it even does ldac
Does your phone have AptX? Have you tried with AptX? It seems generally AptX has no real noticeable lag (the devices I've tried), but there is also AptX LL (Low Latency), and I don't know if AptX generally means low latency as well.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,994 of 6,413

I want to stream audio from the M0 to a cell phone. Pretty sure what you want to do is possible? Not sure about the other way though.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,995 of 6,413
I want to stream audio from the M0 to a cell phone. Pretty sure what you want to do is possible? Not sure about the other way though.
Why would you want to do that? The apps are in the phone. Like the music streaming apps. It's a way to get tidal streams to be outputted to M0.

So in LDAC mode, there is no loss in the stream via bluetooth to the M0?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #2,996 of 6,413
Why would you want to do that? The apps are in the phone. Like the music streaming apps. It's a way to get tidal streams to be outputted to M0.

So in LDAC mode, there is no loss in the stream via bluetooth to the M0?

I would want to stream music stored on the SD card to have it play on the phone, which has a speaker. The M0 has no speaker. The phone does.

Could obviously play files locally from the phone but the phone only has so much storage space and the M0 supports quite a bit more.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #2,997 of 6,413
It is annoying when daps are advertised with certain features with the caveat of (future firmware release) for said feature. I don’t think you should advertise the feature until you get it. Not as a ‘future’ thing because who knows what can happen in the meantime.

Referring to hiby R3 and hidiz AP80 and LDAC. R3 finally got it and ‘hopefully’ AP80 will get it also... someday............

Exactly, I mean I can't think of too many other products you can purchase that you get incomplete and have to wait for things to be added. I mean you don't buy a car and the dealership tells you to come back in 3 months and they'll install the car stereo, or the windshield wipers. :ksc75smile:

Manufacturers can promise every feature under the sun will be added in the "future" to get you to buy the product. But until they actually deliver it is just an empty promise. Not saying this is the case with Shanling at this point but a show of good faith would be nice with at least an eta or some kind of update.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #2,998 of 6,413
Guys, be fair :) ... I may be wrong, but I don't remember Shanling ever advertising their products with features that were not available at the time they released said products (if anything, they tantalize with peekaboos more than overadvertise - just have a look at the M5s thread :) ).

Both external playlists support and replaygain, which @fish1050 and others find important for them, were upgrades on the baseline list of already available features that Shanling said they'd add later BECAUSE the user base interest was intense. Same for LDAC (which was not supported early on, and only added later, if memory serves), to mention just one of the additional features that were later introduced 'cos people wanted it (and that I personally find a lot more useful for my own user case). The way I see it, this is great customer support. The way some of you are speaking, it looks like false advertising, which I REALLY do not think applies to Shanling.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #2,999 of 6,413
Guys, be fair :) ... I may be wrong, but I don't remember Shanling ever advertising their products with features that were not available at the time they released said products (if anything, they tantalize with peekaboos more than overadvertise - just have a look at the M5s thread :) ).

Both external playlists support and replaygain, which @fish1050 and others find important for them, were upgrades on the baseline list of already available features that Shanling said they'd add later BECAUSE the user base interest was intense. Same for LDAC (which was not supported early on, and only added later, if memory serves), to mention just one of the additional features that were later introduced 'cos people wanted it (and that I personally find a lot more useful for my own user case). The way I see it, this is great customer support. The way some of you are speaking, it looks like false advertising, which I REALLY do not think applies to Shanling.

Fair enough, however the fact that Cayin a direct competitor added replaygain to the N3 back in 2017 it should have occurred to Shanling to consider offering it on release as well. Saying it isn't a popular feature in Asia indicates they don't understand the market outside of Asia and that isn't good business. It surprises me as well since Shanling has been selling home audio gear for 30 years around the world. Certainly they should have looked more closely at other markets where they want to make inroads. As for external playlist support, same thing, if you intend to sell your products outside of Asia then look at features people outside of Asia want. As I stated in an earlier post, if Shanling hadn't indicated they would add these features I would have returned the M0. Fiio added replaygain to the M7 and claims to be adding it to other models as well. Fiio does very well outside of Asia and perhaps Shanling would do well to look at what Fiio is doing feature wise to see how to grow their DAP division outside of Asia. The M0 could be a huge hit for Shanling but they need to make sure to add in demand features or risk losing business to Fiio and to a lesser extent Cayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back