Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 16, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #2,641 of 6,413
No worries mate, as I said, I do get you :) . I honestly did not recall that you asked here both about replaygain and the touchscreen, received assurances (or at least not a flat denial :) ), and that influenced your decision not to return the device. Which does help understanding your frustration better. If Shanling said they'd address your concerns (I'm not doubting what you said - since they're not features that are too important for me, I just did not memorize Shanling's answers on that), I expect they will - they seem to be people who keep their word, and who care a lot about their client base (as evidenced by the continued presence and support here, for instance).

As for xduoo/rockbox, I have the Xduoo X3 (which is the one I expect you might have looked into). It's nice, but the M0 is way ahead on lots of things (size, color, touchscreen, bluetooth and, me, I also prefer the sound of the M0). Plus, when it came out, it had a pitch problem that NEEDED rockbox to get fixed (the first gen, at least, which is the one I have), which is definitely not cool. It DOES do replaygain with rockbox, ofc :) (plus it accepts 2 simcards and rockbox, as distinctive features, which are good things, especially if one LIKES rockbox). But if/when Shanling addresses your concerns, the M0 will be a much better solution for your use scenario, I think.

Well after Fiio managed to add replaygain to the M7 and the Cayin N3 has it so I hoped it would spark Shanling to add it to the M0. From what I have read in the M7 thread Fiio will add replaygain to some of their other DAP's soon. It looks like replaygain is starting to become a mainstream feature with several DAP makers. Shanling needs to get on board I think if they want to keep up with the competition. So the M7 now has replaygain and LDAC, I would hate to have to consider a Fiio DAP to get what I need. Something I swore I would never do is buy another Fiio DAP.

I demoed the N3 and it wasn't bad but no LDAC but if the next iteration of the N3 adds LDAC and keeps the hardware buttons it could be what I am looking for. Of course nothing yet from Cayin on that front but maybe something at IFA in September.

Aug 16, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,642 of 6,413
You have such beautiful designed players in your hands, covering it with any kind of protective wear should hurt your hearts. But thats an old discussion. :briefcase::punch:

I finally decided to get the M0 in titan color and will use it in all his aesthetical nudity. Should arrive tomorrow. This color directly triggered me most. Having the AIWA Arc-1 headphones preordered that got red colored accents i may not resist the red color M0. Hmm but maybe a red player will be colored overkill and i should consider the black one... :smile:

I will do a review of the small guy... maybe girl considering it got two female outputs.

I already had the pleasure to listen to the M0 for an hour. Out of the box it the soundquiality of the little dap competed to any other dap i possess. I cannot say that for example an Astell & Kern AK70MKII sounds better.

I want to quote some words my ears captured in one of badboys review-videos regarding soundquality of daps.

"The influence on what youre listening to is mostly associated with what youre putting into your ear. Its greatly overstated how the devices sound. Usage makes the difference"

I totally second this.

Tomorrow will be a very happy day. I will get my hands on my personal M0. *outrageous gnomic laughter* gnihihihi :owl:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,644 of 6,413
You have such beautiful designed players in your hands, covering it with any kind of protective wear should hurt your hearts. But thats an old discussion. :briefcase::punch:

I finally decided to get the M0 in titan color and will use it in all his aesthetical nudity. Should arrive tomorrow. This color directly triggered me most. Having the AIWA Arc-1 headphones preordered that got red colored accents i may not resist the red color M0. Hmm but maybe a red player will be colored overkill and i should consider the black one... :smile:

I will do a review of the small guy... maybe girl considering it got two female outputs.

I already had the pleasure to listen to the M0 for an hour. Out of the box it the soundquiality of the little dap competed to any other dap i possess. I cannot say that for example an Astell & Kern AK70MKII sounds better.

I want to quote some words my ears captured in one of badboys review-videos regarding soundquality of daps.

"The influence on what youre listening to is mostly associated with what youre putting into your ear. Its greatly overstated how the devices sound. Usage makes the difference"

I totally second this.

Tomorrow will be a very happy day. I will get my hands on my personal M0. *outrageous gnomic laughter* gnihihihi :owl:

I have preached this for years now and advised customers I dealt with to concentrate more on the headphones than any source as it will by far make the biggest difference in what you hear. When I budget for a new rig I budget about 2/3rds for the headphones since they make the biggest difference by far. When I hear about people going through DAP's constantly I think why not spend a chunk of that money buying the best sounding headphones you can afford instead. I listened to almost 20 pairs of headphones before I got my go to headphones. For me they make every DAP sound good regardless of price.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,645 of 6,413
M0 to Sony WH1000MX2; which is better, wireless LDAC or wired?

Does anybody know if the Sony WH1000MX2 does A to D conversion of an analog input signal? I ask because there are 3 modes to use the headphone. If the analog output is taken from the M0 and the phone is left off then the M0 is the dac and amp--the Sony is passive and there is no noise cancelling or changes in the signal, not even volume control by the Sony. If the phones are fed wirelessly by LDAC then the Sony dac and amp supply the analog input to the phones, one is really listening to Sony no M0. What I don't know is if the wired connection with the Sony's turned on uses just the Sony amp or if the Sony does AD, DA, and AMP. It turns out not to be such a simple comparison. I need to compare all 3 modes but I know I am going to use wireless. That's why I bought the M0.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,646 of 6,413
For one day I go to Hong Kong and so many posts awaits me :)

So, I listen to a lot of Classical music, and a typical folder looks like this:
I would REALLY appreciate it if Shanling could do something about this in the next FW update, thank you!

Can you tell me, are you using my music or folder browsing?
In My Music they should be sorted correctly if you have them tagged correctly with track numbers.
For folders, will ask if we can add some ode that would be doing some recognition between single and double digits.

Hi Frankie (I hope I remember your name correctly), that's ok tbh. I tried it with another Sony headphone and it showed the LDAC icon :) So (interestingly), the issue was with the Sony XB31 speaker and Sony WH-1000XM2B headphones.

I think we will need to look more into WH100xm2, got another guy that had this problem, he fixed it by going out of town, where there was no Wifi networks and there the M0 paired with it without problems. He posted it in this group too.

We live in a bizarrely phone-centric time, don't we?

You never saw photocentric society until you went to China, trust me.

I am curious in what filter are most people are using for their M0?

I switch between Linear fast and Minimum slow, depending on IEMs I choose for that week.

Okay, so I tried NOT using BT this morning, and plugged the M0 straight into my S9+ - the USB mode on the M0 days 24/48 and all I get out of UAPP is stuttering.

I know it's probably somewhere in the previous 175 pages, however if anyone can tell me how to get this to play wired, that'll be great.

Honestly it should be quite simple. We tried it with multiple latest Android smartphones, just connect cable, go to stock music player and it works without problem.

If the device that will be announced tomorrow runs Shanling's MTouch OS as well, I am sure Shanling is smart enough to use the same code base for the firmware of the M0 and that therefor both will benefit from future developments.

As was said previously, future devices will be based on same system, so newly developed features will be able to go to all of them. Just sometimes there will be some delay due to need to change the UI for small screen of M0.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,647 of 6,413
It's true, when I took the M0 out in the countryside and turned off my iPhone and car so the there were no BT or Wi-Fi signals around the WH1000MX2s paired via LDAC instantly. And now that they are paired they reconnect quickly at home. My working hypothesis is that the Sony's are sensitive to HF interference when pairing but once paired they see the pair.

This is just a hypothesis. I joked to my wife that I wanted to build a Faraday cage so that I could test the hypothesis.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #2,648 of 6,413
It's true, when I took the M0 out in the countryside and turned off my iPhone and car so the there were no BT or Wi-Fi signals around the WH1000MX2s paired via LDAC instantly. And now that they are paired they reconnect quickly at home. My working hypothesis is that the Sony's are sensitive to HF interference when pairing but once paired they see the pair.

This is just a hypothesis. I joked to my wife that I wanted to build a Faraday cage so that I could test the hypothesis.

I also had a somewhat similar situation. When I first got my MO, I tried to pair any of my wireless earbuds, and had no luck. The main problem was that when I tapped Search in the BT setting, up to 8 or more other BT devices belonging to the neighbors would show, 3 TV’’s-1 soundbar-1turntable-1telephone-2security devices would show but not any of my BT earbuds. Went outside to the park across the street and was able to pair all my BT earbuds. Problem solved and now they all connect when I tap on each one.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #2,653 of 6,413
I have preached this for years now and advised customers I dealt with to concentrate more on the headphones than any source as it will by far make the biggest difference in what you hear. When I budget for a new rig I budget about 2/3rds for the headphones since they make the biggest difference by far. When I hear about people going through DAP's constantly I think why not spend a chunk of that money buying the best sounding headphones you can afford instead. I listened to almost 20 pairs of headphones before I got my go to headphones. For me they make every DAP sound good regardless of price.

This!!! Would not have even considered the M0 if it weren't for the form factor as I already have a V30 phone. The M0 simply fits a use case (working out/running/hiking/etc.) better than any other DAP I've seen.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,654 of 6,413
This!!! Would not have even considered the M0 if it weren't for the form factor as I already have a V30 phone. The M0 simply fits a use case (working out/running/hiking/etc.) better than any other DAP I've seen.

Totally agree, that's why I just ordered the M0 (should arrive tomorrow). Just our of curiosity, since you have both, if you are using the same iems or headphones, do you notice any major difference in sound quality bouncing from the V30 to the M0?

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #2,655 of 6,413
Ok it’s Friday baby! Were’s the new dap Shanling? I’m itching to spend some more $$$ it’s burning a hole in me pocket as they say :wink:

I just had a weird thought about the saying ‘money is burning a hole in my pocket’. What if your pocket was filled with coins when the hole was burning in your pocket and they were spilling out in the street, and little beggar kids with nicer shoes than me were scrambling to pick up the $$$ Noooooooooooo!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back