Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #2,581 of 6,413
I don't know what you are use to from products you buy but when a manufacturer admits to 30 problems needing fixes that is kind of alot. Sorry but I sold audio gear for many years and there was a time when a product with this many admitted problems would have been returned to the manufacturer. I beta tested alot of products over the years so that when a product was released this many admitted fixes would never occur. Now customers seem to be unpaid beta-testers who still pay full price for the product. When I beta tested I got the product free or at significant discount. Just because it is the norm doesn't mean it should be acceptable.

My Sony A17 was a first gen Sony DAP when I bought it and it needed two firmware updates total and one was to add LDAC. It is possible to release a more complete product if the manufacturer is committed to doing so.

As I said I have a few DAPs (still in use, for one reason ot another: Ibasso DX100, Ibasso DX50, Ibasso DX90, Ibasso DX80, Shozy Alien, Questyle QP1R, Pono Player, Cayin N6, Xduuo X3, Shanling M3s, ZX300a, Shanling M0, and essentially no longer in use: Hifiman HM 801, Hifiman HM 601). I honestly don't feel cheated by Shanling, in their implementation of the M0... quite a few of those others were a lot worse, in actual functionality, at first firmware. I'm happy it's gotten even better, but I really feel like the FW updates were more to enhance functionality and to fix minor bugs than to fix essential things.

Replaygain would be nice to have, I agree (though since my own library is mainly made up by FLACs, I don't think I'd use that much, me). It's hardly essential, and it's generally uncommon, among DAPs (my rockboxed Xduoo does it, and that's about it). As for the touchscreen, the screen is small (and that's a feature :) ), and it works best only if you start from the center. I sometimes have problems myself, tbh, but that's usually because my fingers are thick, and I don't start from the center. When I stop and focus on what I'm doing, I usually nail the right spot:). It would also be nice to have a better battery gauge... not a deal-breaker, for me, but it WOULD be nice, you're right.

Bottom line, my personal experience tells me that I was very happy with the M0 from the get-go, and this tiny gem only got better with successive FWs... that was NOT the case with all of my DAPs :) , and it leaves me with a good general feeling towards Shanling (plus, I really dig the way that the M0 and M3s sound, which wins them additional points with me).

As for comparing Shanling to Sony... well, let's say that Sony is in a different order of magnitude, as companies go :) , so I'd expect them to be able to release products quite a bit nearer to perfection (or as near to that ideal as can be reasonably expected) - and, well, they also DO charge a premium, for that privilege :). But even my ZX300a, which had the most robust, functional and bug-free FW of any of my DAPs from the very beginning, could STILL be improved so that I would like it better :) (it does not do that now playing feature that I'd like and that I mentioned earlier, for one) - so, if you're talking improvements, I agree - saying that the M0 was "incomplete" to the point that it should not have been released, I very much disagree. I understand you feel differently :) , and that's your prerogative. I don't think you're representative of a majority of customers, though :wink: .

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #2,582 of 6,413
I have been playing with this DAP for weeks now and no matter how slow I scroll over the ... I can never land on the song I want. Either I shoot 10 songs over it or 10 songs under it. I judge usability by how easy it is for my wife to use and she can't get comfortable with the M0. I hear her cursing at it all the time when she wants to play a certain song. We are both IT professionals and have been using touchscreen devices ever since they came out. This is the most frustrated I have ever been with any touchscreen device. I am hoping that the next firmware update addresses the touchscreen and Shanling can add some kind of a search function or a page scroll to simplify getting to a track.

Maybe you have a dodge touchscreen?
I can see that maybe they could slow down the scrolling a touch. I have mentioned it in the past . It can zip a bit with a kick:) Kick did not go down well.
I'm not having any issues scrolling down or up and selecting a track.
I do have to touch very lightly to get accuracy due to the size of the screen.
Hopefully they will have a M1 sized version :) May make it easier to control.

As for software/firmware it's becoming the norm to release and amend.
That goes for DAPs, Gaming,Camera's, TV's.

Shanling is OK in my mind as they do come back with results.
LDAC :) not on the R3 yet.
Fiio software . Gave up on them.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,583 of 6,413
Maybe you have a dodge touchscreen?
I can see that maybe they could slow down the scrolling a touch. I have mentioned it in the past . It can zip a bit with a kick:) Kick did not go down well.
I'm not having any issues scrolling down or up and selecting a track.
I do have to touch very lightly to get accuracy due to the size of the screen.
Hopefully they will have a M1 sized version :) May make it easier to control.

As for software/firmware it's becoming the norm to release and amend.
That goes for DAPs, Gaming,Camera's, TV's.

Shanling is OK in my mind as they do come back with results.
LDAC :) not on the R3 yet.
Fiio software . Gave up on them.

Ha ha you said what I was to lazy to type, the scrolling does zip but at least you can do the alphabet on the right side like Sony. I find it scrolls a little slower in the album song list , still a bit touchy but I’m used to it and have no problem selecting what I want.

And I’m really old! Although I do have ninja like reflexes from all my years of gung foo training...... Not! :wink:

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #2,584 of 6,413
As I said I have a few DAPs (still in use, for one reason ot another: Ibasso DX100, Ibasso DX50, Ibasso DX90, Ibasso DX80, Shozy Alien, Questyle QP1R, Pono Player, Cayin N6, Xduuo X3, Shanling M3s, ZX300a, Shanling M0, and essentially no longer in use: Hifiman HM 801, Hifiman HM 601). I honestly don't feel cheated by Shanling, in their implementation of the M0... quite a few of those others were a lot worse, in actual functionality, at first firmware. I'm happy it's gotten even better, but I really feel like the FW updates were more to enhance functionality and to fix minor bugs than to fix essential things.

Replaygain would be nice to have, I agree (though since my own library is mainly made up by FLACs, I don't think I'd use that much, me). It's hardly essential, and it's generally uncommon, among DAPs (my rockboxed Xduoo does it, and that's about it). As for the touchscreen, the screen is small (and that's a feature :) ), and it works best only if you start from the center. I sometimes have problems myself, tbh, but that's usually because my fingers are thick, and I don't start from the center. When I stop and focus on what I'm doing, I usually nail the right spot:). It would also be nice to have a better battery gauge... not a deal-breaker, for me, but it WOULD be nice, you're right.

Bottom line, my personal experience tells me that I was very happy with the M0 from the get-go, and this tiny gem only got better with successive FWs... that was NOT the case with all of my DAPs :) , and it leaves me with a good general feeling towards Shanling (plus, I really dig the way that the M0 and M3s sound, which wins them additional points with me).

As for comparing Shanling to Sony... well, let's say that Sony is in a different order of magnitude, as companies go :) , so I'd expect them to be able to release products quite a bit nearer to perfection (or as near to that ideal as can be reasonably expected) - and, well, they also DO charge a premium, for that privilege :). But even my ZX300a, which had the most robust, functional and bug-free FW of any of my DAPs from the very beginning, could STILL be improved so that I would like it better :) (it does not do that now playing feature that I'd like and that I mentioned earlier, for one) - so, if you're talking improvements, I agree - saying that the M0 was "incomplete" to the point that it should not have been released, I very much disagree. I understand you feel differently :) , and that's your prerogative. I don't think you're representative of a majority of customers, though :wink: .

I never had a good experience with Sony. Whatever their polished interface was defeated by poor quality, flat sound sound. I paired Shanling M0 with Dunu 2000j (with bass ring and red ring, recommendation of
earfonia head-fi member) and it is just amazing!

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2,585 of 6,413

DX90 was a mess before firmware updates.

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #2,586 of 6,413
Replaygain would be nice to have, I agree (though since my own library is mainly made up by FLACs, I don't think I'd use that much, me). It's hardly essential, and it's generally uncommon, among DAPs (my rockboxed Xduoo does it, and that's about it). .

This is an interesting take on the portable music landscape over the years. ReplayGain used to be a basic feature of music players, before the term DAP arose. Sandisk and Creative and Rio all respected the ReplayGain tag. Sandisk even let you balance replay on a per-song or per-album basis in several generations of their players.

The rise of hi-def audio in portable devices seems to have gone hand-in-hand with a complete memory dump of what music players used to be like. Audiobook and podcast support is no longer a priority for manufacturers, ReplayGain is absent in most cases, the ability to handle external playlists saved to the device is quirky, and gapless is treated like it's some sort of holy grail. All of these things were normal features of most MP3 players circa 2007. While I appreciate the improved audio quality, losing so much functionality is a bit disheartening. We're left with Sony as the last bastion of the old guard, and they keep bringing out overpriced players with proprietary data cables! :)

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,587 of 6,413
I must add that using the corrected filter and high gain, bypassing the internal DAP functions (LDAC BT) is still as spellbinding with the AK T8ie mkII as it was at CanJam London, took me all of about two minutes to buy one, and I haven't looked back!

One little issue I have though, is that I have two Bluetooth profiles, one is my own, one from someone who I demoed it to at CanJam, I cannot delete the second profile, even though I can delete others, almost seems like it's a default profile or something?!

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,588 of 6,413
I am not saying they won't but the DAP market is pretty small and I don't know what kind of resources they have to put towards their cheapest DAP. Especially if they have higher margin models in the pipeline like the new flagship model.

This is the one thing that has made me wary of buying a Chinese DAP. Their tendency to release models incomplete and then finish them over a bunch of firmware updates. Not saying Shanling is Fiio but Fiio has a history of giving up on updating their DAP's before they are completely fixed, especially thier lower end models. A big plus with Sony is they release their DAP's as finished products for the most part. Seeing how Shanling handles firmware updates for the M0 going forward will go a long way in determining if my next DAP will be a Shanling or will I go back to Sony!
Based on your other posts that followed this one, I'd go back to Sony. I beta tested a bunch of players from Rio, and the M0 is light years ahead from a usability point of view compared to the beta players I had (the Karma and the Carbon come to mind). Heck, communication between Rio during the betas didn't even come close to what Shanling provides in this thread alone. So if you're having that many issues, actual and personal, I'd stick to Sony. You have a company that's seems like they are trying to differentiate themselves from the other Chinese mfg's. It doesn't seem like you see that and would rather focus on the negative.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,589 of 6,413
This is an interesting take on the portable music landscape over the years. ReplayGain used to be a basic feature of music players, before the term DAP arose. Sandisk and Creative and Rio all respected the ReplayGain tag. Sandisk even let you balance replay on a per-song or per-album basis in several generations of their players.

The rise of hi-def audio in portable devices seems to have gone hand-in-hand with a complete memory dump of what music players used to be like. Audiobook and podcast support is no longer a priority for manufacturers, ReplayGain is absent in most cases, the ability to handle external playlists saved to the device is quirky, and gapless is treated like it's some sort of holy grail. All of these things were normal features of most MP3 players circa 2007. While I appreciate the improved audio quality, losing so much functionality is a bit disheartening. We're left with Sony as the last bastion of the old guard, and they keep bringing out overpriced players with proprietary data cables! :)
As Shanling mentioned, it seems like the new generation of players is not trying to compete with apps on the phone which are very complete and functional like the mp3 players of old. What they don't understand is people continue to buy these players because they don't want to use their phones (for the most part). It is frustrating getting a shiny new player and not having half the functionality you're used to from ten year old ones and what you can do on your phone. My one in particular is a play function (cue, play once) that stops playing after every track. Think it's helpful for audio books as well.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,590 of 6,413
As Shanling mentioned, it seems like the new generation of players is not trying to compete with apps on the phone which are very complete and functional like the mp3 players of old. What they don't understand is people continue to buy these players because they don't want to use their phones (for the most part). It is frustrating getting a shiny new player and not having half the functionality you're used to from ten year old ones and what you can do on your phone. My one in particular is a play function (cue, play once) that stops playing after every track. Think it's helpful for audio books as well.

Some of us don't even carry a cell phone at all. I know, shocking. :)

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,591 of 6,413
Getting firmware updates is not that big of a deal anymore, it is the norm nowadays. Almost every piece of electronics I have brought in the past 2 years gave this done, this includes wireless headphones, video game systems, cell phones, smart watches, video games. In a way this is good your device never gets too old with firmware updates. I'm looking foward to playing with an m0 or m2s. I'm running a sony nw a45, nice interface, nice controls, good sound, great battery life, I like it, but that dum sony cable!!! Arrghhh!!! Lucky it has 30 plus battery life if not it would go back just for that.

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,592 of 6,413
So, I listen to a lot of Classical music, and a typical folder looks like this:

No.1 in C major
No.2 in A minor
No.3 in E major
No.4 in C# minor
No.10 in A-flat major
No.11 in E-flat major
No.12 in C minor

That is how it appears on my Macbook. However, when viewed on the M0, the list appears as follows:

No.1 in C major
No.10 in A-flat major
No.11 in E-flat major
No.12 in C minor
No.2 in A minor
No.3 in E major
No.8 in F major
No.9 in F minor

Now, this may not seem like a big deal to any Tom, Dick and Harry, but to us musicians messing up the order of the "album" is actually quite a big deal, and so far the only way out for me was to rename every file as such:

01 No.1 in C major
02 No.2 in A minor
03 No.3 in E major
04 No.4 in C# minor

I would REALLY appreciate it if Shanling could do something about this in the next FW update, thank you!

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,593 of 6,413
Some of us don't even carry a cell phone at all. I know, shocking. :)
Funny... Left my phone in my car last night when going to the Phillies game. Took. The subway so I couldn't go back. Was quite nice not having to deal with it outside of not being able to communicate with my friends who had my ticket. Ended up a buying a $20 ticket. Still didn't find them. And as a season ticket holder for the Eagles, I can't get any form of a paper ticket. I have to have a smartphone to get into the game or go to the ticket office every time to get a paper ticket. All in the name of fraud prevention. Ridiculous.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,594 of 6,413
Quick question, what are the differences between the m0 and the m2s besides form factor?

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2,595 of 6,413
Honestly, I'm not sure how to help you.
For us and other customers, M0 pairs just fine with Sony products.
It even pairs with your other BT devices.
Since LDAC is software based, I doubt there can be anything wrong with hardware part of your M0, that would be causing this problem.

Last advice, either send it back to your seller or take it to nearest shop with Sony products and try to pair with some other device there, maybe even with help of Sony employee.

Hi Frankie (I hope I remember your name correctly), that's ok tbh. I tried it with another Sony headphone and it showed the LDAC icon :) So (interestingly), the issue was with the Sony XB31 speaker and Sony WH-1000XM2B headphones.

I am overall a happy customer and looking forward to the next firmware :) Ahh also, that'd be nice to have a theme with this colour as well: hex = #ACC4CC (for easy reading purposes) :)

upload_2018-8-15_17-23-8.png
upload_2018-8-15_17-23-8.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back