Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 5, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,401 of 6,413
Question for those who have used BT on the M0 - Have you used the M0 as a receiver, or just as a transmitter?
I've got an Avantree Oasis Plus BT aptX HD transmitter, connected to my home audio system.
My M0 pairs with the Oasis Plus, and connects, but I don't hear any sound from earbuds that are connected to the M0.
The M0 doesn't support AptX HD. It supports AptX or LDAC, but not AptX HD. So maybe if you can force your transmitter into a different mode?

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,402 of 6,413
I got mine about a week ago, and I must say I am very dissapinted, to the point I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I'm using Sony Wi-1000x and I think they sound amazing using my android phone. However, when connecting to Bluetooth (any protocol available) they sound really bad. Little bass, poor separation etc. Anyone else with similar experience?

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2,403 of 6,413
I got mine about a week ago, and I must say I am very dissapinted, to the point I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I'm using Sony Wi-1000x and I think they sound amazing using my android phone. However, when connecting to Bluetooth (any protocol available) they sound really bad. Little bass, poor separation etc. Anyone else with similar experience?

I have tried mine with bluetooth and they don't sound too bad even with the basic SBC codec in bluetooth. Are you also on the latest firmware as well?

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #2,404 of 6,413
I have tried mine with bluetooth and they don't sound too bad even with the basic SBC codec in bluetooth. Are you also on the latest firmware as well?
I am running 2.1. To me it's really dull, with little bass and almost feels underpowered. Perhaps the Sony software for smartphones does something to the sound that the player doesn't. Either way, as it is now I am going back to using the phone and my Wi-1000x, as it's a much better fit. Dissapointed.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #2,405 of 6,413
Works as receiver for me using my Samsung TAB S2 tablet as the transmitter. The M0 doesn't do aptX HD though, just normal aptX...I guess make sure your not trying to pass aptX HD through, but not sure how that device works.

I almost exclusively use the M0 as a bt receiver, using either ldac or aac. I had a similiar problem when i first got the device. Updating to the latest firmware solved the problem for me.

My M0 does occasiionally connect but no sound when transmitting.
If it's paired try powering down and restart.
Wait a while and see if it auto pairs.
If not then go into the bluetooth menu and then wait.
It may kick in and pair now.

The M0 doesn't support AptX HD. It supports AptX or LDAC, but not AptX HD. So maybe if you can force your transmitter into a different mode?

With my previous BT transmitter (Miccus MHTX4-PRO aptX Low Latency), my other DAPs (which can only receive BT SBC) would pair, connect, and work fine as receivers.
After I got the Radsone EarStudio ES100, I ordered the Avantree Oasis Plus, since it can transmit aptX HD.
So far, the ES100 is the only receiver that I've paired and used with the Oasis+.
Did a bit more troubleshooting, and found that while I wasn't using the ES100 - since it was plugged and charging, it had powered on, and connected to the Oasis+ in HD mode.
When I powered off the ES100, the Oasis+ switched to SBC mode, and the M0 connected - and it's receiving audio.
So, the issue is probably that the Oasis+ can only transmit in one mode (SBC / aptX / aptX HD) at a time - so all the receivers have to be operating in the same mode as each other.
I may have to see whether I can set up a second, SBC-only BT transmitter, for my DAPs - so the Oasis+ can remain in aptX HD mode for the ES100 (and future HD devices).

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #2,406 of 6,413
I am running 2.1. To me it's really dull, with little bass and almost feels underpowered. Perhaps the Sony software for smartphones does something to the sound that the player doesn't. Either way, as it is now I am going back to using the phone and my Wi-1000x, as it's a much better fit. Dissapointed.
Maybe its DSEE HX or another setting. You can try to switch it off using Sony android app to see if it sounds as dull as with M0. As far as i know, there are two places where DSEE HX can be switched on and off - in Sony XPeria phones it can upscale low bitrate music data for Headphone Out (3.5mm jack) from Sound menu, but it does not work with bluetooth, and in any Android phone you can switch on and off DSEE HX in the DAC that is hidden inside your cans using dedicated Sony App that can be installed onto your phone, to upscale the sound after BT transfer via LDAC. But I have no idea, if cans keep DSEE HX or any other setting that you set in the App switched ON after you change your music source from phone to M0. I think that Sony App can be used (for some cans) to switch Active noise cancelling as well. But this app works only with certain headphone models, so maybe not with yours.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,407 of 6,413
Maybe its DSEE HX or another setting. You can try to switch it off using Sony android app to see if it sounds as dull as with M0. As far as i know, there are two places where DSEE HX can be switched on and off - in Sony XPeria phones it can upscale low bitrate music data for Headphone Out (3.5mm jack) from Sound menu, but it does not work with bluetooth, and in any Android phone you can switch on and off DSEE HX in the DAC that is hidden inside your cans using dedicated Sony App that can be installed onto your phone, to upscale the sound after BT transfer via LDAC. But I have no idea, if cans keep DSEE HX or any other setting that you set in the App switched ON after you change your music source from phone to M0. I think that Sony App can be used (for some cans) to switch Active noise cancelling as well. But this app works only with certain headphone models, so maybe not with yours.

Tested this. and yes, its "duller" on the phone turned off, but still sounds a lot better than on the m0. I dont have the necessary head phone vocabulary to describe it, though. The highs sounds "crunched" and very prominent, vocal is pushed back and very little bass. The EQ settings (which are terrible to begin with) are not touched, its default, or flat. If it helps with DSEE HX, is this a swtich that Shanling can implement to enable it in the headset, or is it proprietary to Sony, and thus not possible? Thanks for helping out!

Aug 5, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2,412 of 6,413
Apologies if this has been asked before but is it possible for BT receiver mode and USB digital out to operate at the same time? (E.g. Phone streaming Spotify -> Shanling M0 (LDAC) -- USB digital out --> Chord Mojo). Thanks!

Aug 5, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,413 of 6,413
They have the exact same dac/amp hardware? What's up with the "Quad dac" moniker in LG V20?
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...eature-audiophile-performance-ess-technology/
Does that link help at all?
The new V30 and V30+ build on the Hi-Fi audio system with QUAD DAC™ that was first introduced by its predecessor. The new phones feature a 32-bit Advanced Hi-Fi audio system powered by ESS Technology’s ES9218P.
Why they brand it that way, I don't really know/care. I never look at branding/marketing. Just the chips. It's hardware after all....

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,414 of 6,413
Hi, it shows just bluetooth icon (even though my preferred setting is LDAC-HQ in the bluetooh settings)

I also have Sony SRS-XB31 portable speaker which has LDAC. Same with that as well. Just bluetooh icon.

If it only shows BT icon, there is some prioblem with pairing, I would advice trying to pair them again, try jumping through codecs, if they connect with any of them.

guys i found a little bug..i have a playlist with 20 songs from when im running and when i try to delete a specific song it says removed but it wont dissapear from the playlist...when i play the playlist i dont hear the song i deleted...it happens with other songs too from other playlists...its not a problem at all just thought i should share it.. :)

I wasn't able to replicate this error, any song I deleted disappeared from playlist immediately.

@Shanling Is there a way to display the Playing Song Information when I connect the m0 to my car via bluetooth. At the moment it only shows m0 on the car display but when I use my Sony A45 I am able to get the song information on the car display.

Considering wide and ridiculous market of car stereos, it would be for us impossible to implement such function fully.

@Shanling - would be possible to enable the M0 to output via usb while receiving a bt signal? i.e being able to be able to stream from a phone to the M0 which would then pass the digital signal by usb to a dac. Thanks.

As was stated in this thread few times already, we are working on implementing such feature in future update.

@Shanling Can you remove that odd kick in the scrolling please.

What "kick"?

Just curious, can the m0 output audio to USB C headphones?

I'm going to guess they will not put out an analog signal for passive USB C headphones, but does it put out a digital signal for active USB C headphones like those that come with the essential phone for example?

I don't have a pair to test, but I'd be curious to see if they work.

Are there any passive USB-C headphones??

With active, well, it demands what are their demands on power. I know one user was using his USB Sony headphones with M1. But we did no testing with USB-C headphones,

If we put aside limit possibility of your M0 being somehow "faulty" in BT transmission, it's most likely some affects on your phone are changing the sound, while the flat sound of M0 shows true nature of your headphones.
You can try your headphones with different BT sources to see, if they will be closer to M0 or your phone.

Hi @Shanling also, addition to that LDAC icon is not showing up issue, today I eralised another issue. When I go to My Music, if I click on Album, it says "update music" then nothing happens. Same for Album, Genre and Artist.

You must first update your library, Settings->update. You can look into manual on first page to learn more about all settings :wink:

They have the exact same dac/amp hardware? What's up with the "Quad dac" moniker in LG V20?

"Quad Dac" is pretty much marketing used by LG. It doesn't meant there are 4 DACs inside, it's more about internal structure of this one chip. But to masses and tech websites, quad DAC sounds impressive.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back