Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,326 of 6,413
Are you going to make iOS version as well?

In plans.

hey guys I have a question about LDAC sound quality. I bought these ProStereo H2 earphones today. They support LDAC. When I paired them with the M0 I selected the LDAC - HQ option in bluetooth settings. But the sound quality even worst than my Apple Airpods. I am sending my earphones back. I didn't like them at all. They sound like a tin.

People who use LDAC with this DAP could you guys recommend me any good headphones (I want to use at gym so they need to be sweat proof).

Or do I need to change any settings in the M0 to make audio quality better with LDAC?

Well, LDAC is just the Bluetooth transfer, sound quality of course depends a lot on used driver and DAC/AMP in your earphones.(and from my experience, even some expensive BT headphones/earphones sounds sooo bad)

Of course, please try different quality settings on M0, if it sounds bad with all of them, probably the earphones are the one to be blamed.

I wonder if it is simply possible to skip a song or change the volume during jogging
because inline remote is not working and this isn't possible with bluetooth either .

You can change songs and volume quickly with use of the wheel and double tap on the wheel.
If you are using BT headphones, you can use their controls to change volume and skip through songs.

@Shanling
The Bluetooth connection shows my Bose soundlink is connected and the bose speakers shows something is connected but no music.

I have to turn off the speaker and M0 and both back on for them to reconnect.

Sometimes happens sometimes does not.

Sometimes it works OK?

Please check if the quality on M0 is set accordingly, maybe the M0 automatically is pushing higher quality setting than Bose supports?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 31, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,327 of 6,413
been enjoying and controlling my M0 over LDAC to my Sony WI-H700 earbuds with the clip case clipped to a watch band
The M0 and the R3 still don't sound as open as my Nuansa P1 wired to their 3.5 using my FEN2000
But M0 LDAC to the WI-H700 wasn't sounding as bad

my test track was Mark Murphy's "you go to my head" from his Songs for Geese album

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #2,328 of 6,413
Just to confirm that my M0 pairs in LDAC mode with my Motorola G6 Plus in default mode. Previously, I activated developer options to select LDAC directly but for the first time I left as "default" to see what detected, so no need to force LDAC. I have to test different qualities and samples.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #2,329 of 6,413
In plans.

Well, LDAC is just the Bluetooth transfer, sound quality of course depends a lot on used driver and DAC/AMP in your earphones.(and from my experience, even some expensive BT headphones/earphones sounds sooo bad)

Of course, please try different quality settings on M0, if it sounds bad with all of them, probably the earphones are the one to be blamed.

You can change songs and volume quickly with use of the wheel and double tap on the wheel.
If you are using BT headphones, you can use their controls to change volume and skip through songs.

Please check if the quality on M0 is set accordingly, maybe the M0 automatically is pushing higher quality setting than Bose supports?

Thanks for the reply @Shanling yes I am happy with M0. I sent the headphones back. Btw i didnt know that I can skip songs or change volume from my phone

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,330 of 6,413
Wow, things got a little tense since the last time I was here! Glad things have calmed down and I really hope you make a speedy recovery @abitdeef . Nobody deserves to be in pain.

I've spent a few weeks now with the M0 and just got my A45 in yesterday. Here's what I can say on each:

1. The M0 has a surprising amount of power for its size. Having a LO-HIGH gain adjust has even allowed me to use stuff like the HE-400i and my Denon AH-D5000 without having to max out volume and still get meaningful output. The A45 doesn't fare as well in that department, sadly. With gain adjusts of only -3dB or 0dB, I'm sitting anywhere between 50-75% to get enough output for my daily commutes (using a pair of KZ ZS6), where anything over 60% on the M0 on low gain is just overkill; high gain puts me between 25-30%.

2. It's also very detailed and revealing. If I want to check the quality of a particular track, I know to run it through the M0. The A45 is warm, warm, warm. Definitely not the DAP to get if you want articulation. In a sense, it's a very "Sony" sort of sound, mainly because I've heard it represented since as early as the Minidisc days. Granted, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but you'll want to factor that in if you're torn between the two options.

3. The M0's screen is probably going to be a love-it-or-hate-it affair for people just due to its size and how it registers touch commands. I get a fair amount of issues where I'll have to stop whatever I'm doing to just push Pause/Play on the device. It's possible this is a screen calibration issue that could be tightened up with a firmware update (something I'd definitely ask for). The A45 has a distinct advantage of having hardware Play and Track Forward/Backward tracks as well as a screen/button lock. Since the M0 has no lock, I've accidentally hit the rotary knob while walking about many times, causing the battery to wear out faster since the screen is constantly turning on and off.

4. Card formatting and folder structure between the two is completely different, meaning I wasn't able to just pull the sD card out of the M0 and put it right into the A45. I also had to let the A45 format my sD card since just using the MBP to format in exFAT wasn't enough to make things work. This isn't a problem with the M0, so I'd say it's the preferred choice if you want something that's more just plug-and-play right out of the box.

5. While the M0 seems to have absolutely no issue with breaking down single FLAC files with a CUE index, the Sony won't...for a player marketed to be Hi-Res, that's a major let-down. Luckily, I'm an album listener so it doesn't necessarily affect my listening style, but anybody who prefers to listen track-by-track between won't be able to with a FLAC/CUE arrangement.

Good news is both players provide different enough experiences and sound representations that you could easily have both in your collection and find ample opportunity to use either/or, depending on source material. I don't see myself getting rid of either any time soon.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,331 of 6,413

Thanks that seems to sort out the issue.
Maybe you could allow for different settings for bluetooth devices.
I swap between APTX,LDAC,A2DP devices.
Means I have to change the settings everytime.

Good stuff this M0..

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #2,333 of 6,413
461A9A84-4CE1-4E53-A5EC-6A2C06573098.jpeg
I have to change my impressions on the M0 and A45 since I got my AK T8IE MKii singie eneded headphone cable- they had to send me a replacement as the left side was shorting out.

In the meantime I was using my sound magic ie 80 for testing betwix the two. For some reason the Sony sounded better on that iem. But on the more revealing AK T8IE MKii the detail is much more apparent on the little M0 and the A45 sounds pretty warm and slightly veiled. It’s amazing what a difference cans can make but with the better iems the M0 sounds superior.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,334 of 6,413
Just to confirm that my M0 pairs in LDAC mode with my Motorola G6 Plus in default mode. Previously, I activated developer options to select LDAC directly but for the first time I left as "default" to see what detected, so no need to force LDAC. I have to test different qualities and samples.

Well, phones should connect to highest quality setting automatically, but from our experience, sometimes different apps, hidden setting, etc, can mess with it.

watch my review on SHANLING M0 user interface guide and many other function in Hindi language

Posting actual link to video would be helpful!

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #2,336 of 6,413
In terms of sheer sound quality, here are my ratings:

M0 > Sony A45 > FiiO X5 II

The M0 is the Sansa Clip of this generation. I have no idea how Shanling managed it, but this little thing sounds so marvelous. The freakin clarity, the power, the balanced sound. It bests players that cost double than its asking price.

But is it perfect? Well, not quite.
Its weaknesses are its ergonomics and controls. The screen is too small and navigating through songs while side scrolling is kind of a pain as a result. I also keep pressing the side button while trying to alter the volume settings. It is way too easy to press mistakenly.

I agree also that Sony bests it in this regard in terms of controls. If only it was a wee bit bigger and has physical buttons like the A45.

TLTR:
M0 sound + Sony’s UI and controls = my dream player.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #2,338 of 6,413
Hi all,
Can anybody recommend a good quality USB C to micro USB cable to connect my M0 to a Chord Mojo. I don't want to pay silly money and I need a retailer in the UK or EU. Thanks in advance.

Look for our own Shanling L2 cable?

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #2,339 of 6,413
In terms of sheer sound quality, here are my ratings:

M0 > Sony A45 > FiiO X5 II

The M0 is the Sansa Clip of this generation. I have no idea how Shanling managed it, but this little thing sounds so marvelous. The freakin clarity, the power, the balanced sound. It bests players that cost double than its asking price.

But is it perfect? Well, not quite.
Its weaknesses are its ergonomics and controls. The screen is too small and navigating through songs while side scrolling is kind of a pain as a result. I also keep pressing the side button while trying to alter the volume settings. It is way too easy to press mistakenly.

I agree also that Sony bests it in this regard in terms of controls. If only it was a wee bit bigger and has physical buttons like the A45.

TLTR:
M0 sound + Sony’s UI and controls = my dream player.

Yeah my assessment mirrors your pretty closely. Even scrolling by letter on the 3 ... I simply can't be fine enough to get to the actual track I want, I always end up a page above or below it. The scrolling precision definitely needs work. I find the same issue with changing volume and accidentally pressing the scroll wheel. I find I have to put my thumb right on top of the wheel and turn very gently to avoid the push and also the volume jump up when I want to go down and vice versa.

Maybe we should try to get Sony to buy Shanling and then we could finally get the TLTR DAP we want. Better still get Sony to sell their DAP division to Shanling. Either would work!!

So Shanling's next DAP - $200.00, slightly bigger size (like M1), hardware buttons on the side, same power, slightly better battery life, AptX HD support = Sony A series killer!! That DAP would make me forget about Sony all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back