Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 29, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2,281 of 6,413
Guys, how do you activate side scrolling so you can choose the particular letter you want to see in the list of songs?

Also, what's the difference between favorites and the on the go playlists?

Nevermind. Figured the side scrolling thing out. Simply scroll up and down on the 3 dots near the right of the screen. Got it. :)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #2,282 of 6,413
FWIW, comparisons with other DAPs are really useful. At least to me.

I had made a few purchases especially on IEMs that had me regretted (TFZ 5s, RE-00, NuForce EDC...), based on the mostly very positive users' 'impression' on their respective threads. Having more comparisons against other similarly price products will be very helpful.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,283 of 6,413
@Shanling Is it possible to add the option to organise music by 'Album Artist'? These days, there's a lot of collaboration between music performers, and the way some tags are populated, managing by 'Artist' results in songs from the same album appearing under different artist names. Also helps with compilation albums featuring various artists, e.g. the 'Now That's What I Call Music' series.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #2,284 of 6,413
Ok, it was fun with all burn in talk, now stop it.

Word up, I tested it with a Sony XZ2 forcing the highest sample rates and bitrates and its works flawlessly. This means the fault lies with Huawei's implementation of LDAC audio quality settings.

Thanks @Shanling, this is really a marvelous device. Oh, by the way, is it possible to set double click to work for play/pause for the source device playback while M0 is in the receiver mode?

So all working with M0 now? Android can be tricky.

With future firmware BT receiver mode will have controls over playback.

1) can you send music via BT to the device and listen via BT at the same time? Or only send via BT and listen via hard wire?

2) can you send music via usb c and listen via BT? Or only send via usb c and listen via hard wire?

Thanks!

1) Sending music over BT to M0 and then from M0 again over BT? That can NOT be done and also makes no sense at all.
2) Doesn't support such function (USB dac + BT source)

Why couldn't Shanling have made it easier to open without resorting to scratching up the flap? :'-(

Because then we would be getting complaints, that the flap is too easy to open and hanging out all the time?

Also, what's the difference between favorites and the on the go playlists?

We take it this way:
Playlist is something more longterm, when you add song to it, it will probably stay there for some time.
Favorites will be likely circled more often, so it's easier and quicker adding and removing songs just by tapping on heart icon.

@Shanling Is it possible to add the option to organise music by 'Album Artist'? These days, there's a lot of collaboration between music performers, and the way some tags are populated, managing by 'Artist' results in songs from the same album appearing under different artist names. Also helps with compilation albums featuring various artists, e.g. the 'Now That's What I Call Music' series.

I told this to software team some time ago, still waiting for it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 30, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #2,285 of 6,413
Well it’s a fact that capacitors need time to burn in which changes the voltage swing which can impact the sound. All I know is what I hear and at this point with both players with about 50 hours on them the A45 sounds better to my ears, it has a wider deeper stage and a more detailed natural sound, and better layering.

M0 still sounds excellent,especially for the price, but I’m listening to the Sony more.

Of course ymmv

What you say is true about capacitors and that certainly applies to full size home audio gear based on my experience. But on such a small low powered device with only a few small capacitors the burn in affect would be minimal at best. Some of what you hear could simply be getting use to the sound and yes a little placebo affect. You want to hear a difference so you convince your brain it is hearing a difference. I took a bunch of psychology courses and we touched on the so called placebo affect. You can convince your brain that you are hearing things that aren't present.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #2,286 of 6,413
I’m very sorry this topic was brought up, wether physiological or physical I did notice a difference in sound after some playing time. It doesn’t matter the reason why I perceived a change, but I did.

The whole subject of sound is subjective so discussing the finer points is like discussing politics or religion. I have seen gear that measures almost indentical in specs and uses the same components but sounds very different.

Trust your own ears, because how it sounds to you is all that really matters. I still believe implimentation is more important than dacs and what not. And I believe iems and cans play the most important role in shaping the sound as pretty much all modern gear measures very good to excellent spec wise.

And I’m sorry for being snippy, I got 30 shots in the face yesterday and had a very large basil cell carcinoma removed and had a face flap reconstruction. So I’m not in a very good mood.

Wow sorry to hear that, hope you have good recovery. I am getting ready to have a large cyst removed from my back soon so I feel for you.

Once again this is an unwinnable argument as there is evidence available for and against burn-in. I have an electronics engineering degree and I sold audio gear for 15 years and the burn-in debate is as old as it gets. I think that burn-in was more relevant decades ago when capacitors were far less advanced than they are now and had much wider tolerances. I believe it is true but it has a much smaller affect than we might think it does. Again much of what we hear comes from getting use to how something sounds more than the burn-in affect.

There is a reason most retailers offer at least a 14 day return policy. It is because studies have found it typically takes someone about that long to adjust to something new and that would certainly apply to audio gear and how it sounds.

I say we put the this stalemate to bed and move on to something else!

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #2,292 of 6,413
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,293 of 6,413
@Shanling

What’s the max amount of songs that can be put in one playlist? And how many songs for the favorites list?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back