Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #2,149 of 6,413
Having spent the day traveling with my new little friend M0 I realized several things.

1. When it comes to owning a DAP for traveling this wins hands down
2. Once I got all the settings they way I wanted the touchscreen became less of an annoyance since I use it less. I listen volume wise 50 to 55 so I set volume memory to 52 so I hardly have to mess with the volume wheel.
3. Now that it has burned in and I am use to the sound I really like the sound signature
4. Drives my headphones with ease so no external amp needed
5. Most importantly I spend 95% of the time just playing tracks either straight through or shuffling so I can live with the touchscreen quirks the other 5% of the time.

I don't think I will bother importing the A45 to try. I truly see this as a transitional DAP rather than something I will use long term. Once I see some more DAP's come out in the next year or so I will probably upgrade it.

So it looks like the M0 and me are a match if not a perfect couple!

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #2,150 of 6,413
Could use some help

Now that I am officially a Shanling guy I have decided to retire Sony's MediaGo software. I have downloaded and installed Media Monkey and I also downloaded Lame XP to handle format conversions.

Where I need advice is I have decided instead of converting the 652 aac tracks that won't show up on my M0 to mp3 I want to try OGG instead. I remember when ogg was first introduced it intrigued me as a format since it was open source. But it wasn't well supported so I forgot about it. But I came across it again recently as it offers smaller file sizes than mp3 and supposedly better sound quality.

Question 1. Has anyone had any issues playing ogg files on the M0?
Question 2. How well does ogg support embedded artwork?
Question 3. What quality setting do you recommend. I know 9 gives you 320 kbps like mp3 but will lower quality settings be noticeable sound quality wise?

any feedback would be appreciated

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #2,152 of 6,413
Could use some help

Now that I am officially a Shanling guy I have decided to retire Sony's MediaGo software. I have downloaded and installed Media Monkey and I also downloaded Lame XP to handle format conversions.

Where I need advice is I have decided instead of converting the 652 aac tracks that won't show up on my M0 to mp3 I want to try OGG instead. I remember when ogg was first introduced it intrigued me as a format since it was open source. But it wasn't well supported so I forgot about it. But I came across it again recently as it offers smaller file sizes than mp3 and supposedly better sound quality.

Question 1. Has anyone had any issues playing ogg files on the M0?
Question 2. How well does ogg support embedded artwork?
Question 3. What quality setting do you recommend. I know 9 gives you 320 kbps like mp3 but will lower quality settings be noticeable sound quality wise?

any feedback would be appreciated

I use DBPoweramp Batch conversion program.
It will convert all your stuff easily to what ever format you want.
It's not free but does the job well.

I think OGG is fine with all tags as Mp3 is so if the tags are complete and ok DBP will transfer it fully.

Not tried OGG on the M0 but So far everthing else I've thrown at the M0 has played with no probs.

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #2,153 of 6,413
I use DBPoweramp Batch conversion program.
It will convert all your stuff easily to what ever format you want.
It's not free but does the job well.

I think OGG is fine with all tags as Mp3 is so if the tags are complete and ok DBP will transfer it fully.

Not tried OGG on the M0 but So far everthing else I've thrown at the M0 has played with no probs.

Thanks for the feedback, I chose LAME XP as Lame is one of the better converters, its free, supports all formats and it also lets you do batch file conversions. I haven't tried LAME XP yet but used older versions years ago and they did a nice job creating high quality conversions.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #2,154 of 6,413
Where I need advice is I have decided instead of converting the 652 aac tracks that won't show up on my M0 to mp3 I want to try OGG instead./QUOTE]

OK; first question is whether you have the original uncompressed files. Its better to work with those than recompressing already compressed files.

Second; I have not been following your comments; but have you tried sending a problem file to Shanling for their opinion? I think the unit should play AAC so its worth knowing what is going on with the original files. Personally as far as compression goes I like AAC best and MP3 second; everything else is a "one off".

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #2,156 of 6,413
Guys, can we remote control M0 with our phones? Like skipping tracks, fast forwarding or repeating?

Not yet.
I believe that feature is on the Wish List... :ksc75smile:

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,158 of 6,413
do you folks know if it's possible to use this DAP as a DAC using UAPP app? Will it be recognized as a external DAC?
I no longer have any phones with a micro-USB output, but I have not been able to drive the M0 from UAPP on my V30. I've tried dozens of OTG USB-C-to-USB-C cables and adapters and nothing works. In each case, the handshake gets confused and weird things happen - like, the M0 ends up charging my phone :wink: Not a big deal for me, because my phone shares the same DAC chip as the M0, but I was just curious to see if it could be done. Apparently I'm missing something. I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has solved this particular mystery...?

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,160 of 6,413
I no longer have any phones with a micro-USB output, but I have not been able to drive the M0 from UAPP on my V30. I've tried dozens of OTG USB-C-to-USB-C cables and adapters and nothing works. In each case, the handshake gets confused and weird things happen - like, the M0 ends up charging my phone :wink: Not a big deal for me, because my phone shares the same DAC chip as the M0, but I was just curious to see if it could be done. Apparently I'm missing something. I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has solved this particular mystery...?

hey, can u compare v30 vs m0 SQ? amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back