Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 18, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #5,476 of 6,413
Has anyone been able to get this working with the Audeze iSine or LCD-i4 Cypher Cables using the Anker Lightning to USB-C adapter? It works with all the other Android, Windows, OSX, and IOS devices that have a USB-C port. However, it does not work with the Shanling M0. It's disappointing since the M0 plus the LCD-i4 with Cypher might be the ultimate portable combo.

I’ll give it a try and let you know. By chance, I have all of the above for today as well as the Fiio m5, which I will also try.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #5,477 of 6,413
Has anyone been able to get this working with the Audeze iSine or LCD-i4 Cypher Cables using the Anker Lightning to USB-C adapter? It works with all the other Android, Windows, OSX, and IOS devices that have a USB-C port. However, it does not work with the Shanling M0. It's disappointing since the M0 plus the LCD-i4 with Cypher might be the ultimate portable combo.

Ok, bad news. The cipher/anker combo does NOT work with either the shanling m0 or the Fiio m5.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #5,482 of 6,413
The readme.txt inside the zip says: (I hope its ok to post the text in here. If there's a problem I´ll edit the post)

Shanling M1 custom firmware v3.0 by Vortex & aleXmod

- Highly optimized graphics, font and binaries for maximum speed;
- English, Czech and Russian language strings was corrected/added;
- Ability to control player EQ and other settings by conf.txt

This is great, but before flashing custom firmwares into my M0, I´d like to know what "highly optimized graphics" means and what does it look like, it sounds very vague. The major problem I have with this device after some months using it is the font size and the overall GUI design browsing music, the rows are too wide and the space is eaten up by the three dot thing and the general design with the folder or file icon. No one seems to have this problem, so maybe I´m alone in this, but you can only see 3 rows of text and barely two words of text in each row... and I love the overall look and feel of everything else, but you cant really navigate the menus that easily or read whats in the memory card unless you already know what are you going to play and where is it. That would be my only problem with this little wonder, the rest is a compact marvel with a great industrial design sense. Also the EQ is very difficult to manage with touch controls, so the setting conf. idea seems really nice. But again, what does "highly optimized graphics" means and does it change the original look in any way?
Thanks for the custom firmware effort in any case.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #5,483 of 6,413
Why not fallback to artist? I mostly only have Album Artist set if Artist is not the same across the album. Not deliberately, just what I noticed when I flipped this on.

I asked software team exactly same question when I put new firmware on my M0 and most of my artists disappeared. Apparently they copied this Album Artist setting from some other DAP and didn't check with others in office.

It should be changed with next firmware release.

@Shanling, With firmware 3.1, when you open EQ settings it says "Gapless" at the top toggle instead of EQ.

Thanks for pointing this out, will fix it.

Can I use Airpods with M0?

Yes, you can.

With Airpods, you only need to know one trick: After you used them with phone, you must set volume to 100%, otherwise they will be fixed on lower volume and they will be too quiet with M0.

We got few reports from people that it doesn't work.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 19, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #5,485 of 6,413
... The major problem I have with this device after some months using it is the font size and the overall GUI design browsing music, the rows are too wide and the space is eaten up by the three dot thing and the general design with the folder or file icon. No one seems to have this problem, so maybe I´m alone in this, but you can only see 3 rows of text and barely two words of text in each row... and I love the overall look and feel of everything else, but you cant really navigate the menus that easily or read whats in the memory card unless you already know what are you going to play and where is it. .

That's my problem as well. I love the device but the GUI is really hard to use - I guess they have done the best they can with the size of the screen.

What I would love is a phone app to control it - at least when playing over wired headphones. Maybe a phone app to connect and control via bluetooth when using bluetooth headphones is too much to ask although some devices can handle two simultaneous BT connections.

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #5,486 of 6,413

It does not work for me either. I believe it is because the operating system is not compatible. I wish @Shanling could figure out a way for this to work, because this would be my goto system also.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #5,487 of 6,413
Sorry to bring up old post ...

I was thinking why not affix female velcro tape behind M0, and male velcro tape on NATO strap or if the NATO strap can stick too female velcro tape ? Anyone try before?

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #5,488 of 6,413
Sorry to bring up old post ...
I was thinking why not affix female velcro tape behind M0, and male velcro tape on NATO strap or if the NATO strap can stick too female velcro tape ? Anyone try before?

I would go about it differently If you're looking into using it the M0 as a watch. Using the M0 hard case with the clip and a Nylon NATO strap in 22mm width.
You can place the clip within the watchband rings, the ones separated by around 2cm. it stays there perfectly, then just use the watchband as you would.
(Actually I was using it with the buckle towards me because i prefer it that way).
It's a bit tall on the wrist overall but the watch from the lockscreen is in the correct alignment.
IMG_20190822_185934.jpg IMG_20190822_185443.jpg IMG_20190822_185455.jpg IMG_20190822_185558.jpg IMG_20190822_185629.jpg

A different way to keep it slim is to just pass the clip on the watchband, clipping on both straps (it grips better).
However, this way the clock is not correctly aligned. On the bright side, if you were to use it corded the cable is positioned to go up your arm without problems.

IMG_20190822_192309.jpg IMG_20190822_192323.jpg IMG_20190822_192449.jpg IMG_20190822_192756.jpg

Just a couple ideas.

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #5,489 of 6,413
I asked software team exactly same question when I put new firmware on my M0 and most of my artists disappeared. Apparently they copied this Album Artist setting from some other DAP and didn't check with others in office.

It should be changed with next firmware release.

Thanks for pointing this out, will fix it.
Yes please. I checked my entire library multiple times and I still have a lot of albums not showing for some reason. When I switch back to just artist they come back, but it's a mess because of compilations...

Gapless still works terribly for me with flac+cua files. Sometimes it can cut half of the song, but usually just a first/last few seconds while song is still going
oh my, more work to do on the gapless side. I hope you all can sort everything out. It will make it a really awesome player considering size and price.

(edited message because of formatting mess)

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #5,490 of 6,413
I would go about it differently If you're looking into using it the M0 as a watch. Using the M0 hard case with the clip and a Nylon NATO strap in 22mm width.
You can place the clip within the watchband rings, the ones separated by around 2cm. it stays there perfectly, then just use the watchband as you would.
(Actually I was using it with the buckle towards me because i prefer it that way).

It's a bit tall on the wrist overall but the watch from the lockscreen is in the correct alignment.

A different way to keep it slim is to just pass the clip on the watchband, clipping on both straps (it grips better).
However, this way the clock is not correctly aligned. On the bright side, if you were to use it corded the cable is positioned to go up your arm without problems.

Just a couple ideas.
Thanks for your suggestion and idea. I worry the clip will break or becomes brittle over time.

I do have Shanling M0 sport arm strap with PU casing, may be can modify/shortern the strap becomes wrist strap or totally replaced them with NATO strap.

Actually my idea of using velcro tape is make M0 as minimalist as itself already too thick :D.

Here's the Shanling M0 arm strap.

Shanling MO arm strap.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back