Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Feb 2, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #4,591 of 6,413
Agreed, that negates a lot of the convenience of swapping cards when you constantly have to keep rebuilding the database. I sometimes switch between music and audiobooks several times a day, especially when working late.

Just get a different coloured m0 and keep one for music and one for audiobooks? Of course that doesn't help with bookmarking, or resume options etc etc. Main reason I haven't picked up an m5s yet is because of the same lack of support for it.

Have a good holiday all at shanling.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #4,592 of 6,413
Just ordered a black Shanling M0. I was really worried about not having a custom equalizer, but as I use this device paired in Bluetooh with my smartphone, I discovered that my phone's DAC will still work in Bluetooth mode. So I can increase spatialisation or anything else even if this little DAP can't - which is logic as an equalizer works on the source's numeric signal.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #4,593 of 6,413
Just ordered a black Shanling M0. I was really worried about not having a custom equalizer, but as I use this device paired in Bluetooh with my smartphone, I discovered that my phone's DAC will still work in Bluetooth mode. So I can increase spatialisation or anything else even if this little DAP can't - which is logic as an equalizer works on the source's numeric signal.
Congratulations on acquiring an excellent music player. What type of music and earphones will you be using with the M0?

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #4,594 of 6,413
Congratulations on acquiring an excellent music player. What type of music and earphones will you be using with the M0?

I will be using a Sennheiser Momentum M2 (over-ear). I know this little DAP won't get the best out of these headphones - I tried the M2s and there was already a big soud improvement, but sadly it is not in sale anymore and still beyond my budget for a first DAP.

About the music genres, I listen to many different ones like classical music, pop, epic music, rock, hard rock, power metal. This is why it's very important to me to have the more neutral headphones I can afford (which is why I gone for the Momentum), and also a neutral DAP - but apparently every good DAP is neutral.

The good point of the M0 is that I'll be able to use it in USB DAC mode when I receive my new smartphone and so I won't by losing quality like in Bluetooth.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #4,595 of 6,413
I would be happy to try, but I have no µSD card inserted in my M0 yet. I can see that the M0 supports OGG. However, Ogg is a container, not a codec. Usually, Ogg means Ogg/Vorbis (using the Vorbis codec).

Does the M0 support the more recent Opus codec which also uses the Ogg container?

This is apparently the currently best existing lossy codec (both in terms of quality and lag, see http://opus-codec.org) and I have a lot of Opus encoded files...

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #4,597 of 6,413
Hey to each his own. But with memory cards getting so cheap why even consider lossy compression when you can drop uncompressed files onto your DAP player?

If you need to go lossy, I would just stick with industry standards which can play on your phone or in your car or what have you. Sure; ogg vorbis or what have you might be marginally better than MP3 or AAC; but it is still lossy.

My wife's car can even play flac files now. I bought a super big USB stick, formatted it in FAT32, and bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #4,598 of 6,413
Been using this player for a week now. Whilst there are a couple of small issues I can live with, overall I'm very happy with this device. It is absolutely perfect for jogging compared to carrying a phone. I do however have one big gripe regarding playlists and can't seem to find a solution.

Is there anyway to import a playlist into this device? Everytime I've tried importing it shows up in folders but when I actually try playing a track in the playlist it says 'file not found'. My playlist is in the .M3U format. I have tried putting the .M3U files in the same folder as the music files but that didn't work. Tried importing through MusicBee but that didn't work either.

My playlist is over 2000 songs so I'd rather not create it manually on the device. Is there a workaround to this?

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #4,600 of 6,413
Been using this player for a week now. Whilst there are a couple of small issues I can live with, overall I'm very happy with this device. It is absolutely perfect for jogging compared to carrying a phone. I do however have one big gripe regarding playlists and can't seem to find a solution.

Is there anyway to import a playlist into this device? Everytime I've tried importing it shows up in folders but when I actually try playing a track in the playlist it says 'file not found'. My playlist is in the .M3U format. I have tried putting the .M3U files in the same folder as the music files but that didn't work. Tried importing through MusicBee but that didn't work either.

My playlist is over 2000 songs so I'd rather not create it manually on the device. Is there a workaround to this?
I think it's probably important to use relative pathnames in the playlist file - and of course to make sure that the playlist file is in the same position relative to the music files on the player. It won't find the music files by magic or inference. It will just follow the pathname given.

I'm assuming that you can play the same files OK using folder browsing.

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #4,601 of 6,413
I think it's probably important to use relative pathnames in the playlist file - and of course to make sure that the playlist file is in the same position relative to the music files on the player. It won't find the music files by magic or inference. It will just follow the pathname given.

I'm assuming that you can play the same files OK using folder browsing.
That actually worked, sort of. I ticked 'Use relative file paths' in MusicBee and the M0 was able to play the mp3s in the playlist via Folders. However when I try copying the playlist from Folders to the M0 internal 'Playlist1' it copies all the mp3s over but automatically sorts the songs alphabetically.

For now I can live with accessing the ordered playlist via Folders instead of My Music.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #4,602 of 6,413
That actually worked, sort of. I ticked 'Use relative file paths' in MusicBee and the M0 was able to play the mp3s in the playlist via Folders. However when I try copying the playlist from Folders to the M0 internal 'Playlist1' it copies all the mp3s over but automatically sorts the songs alphabetically.

For now I can live with accessing the ordered playlist via Folders instead of My Music.

I seem to recall @Shanling addressing the playlist playing alphabetically as a mistake. They should be addressing this in a firmware update, at least I hope they do. I want my songs to play in the order I add them, not alphabetically. I guess you can add this fix to the list including replaygain and some kind of audiobook support to be addressed at some point.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #4,603 of 6,413
CNY Edition M0 arrived exactly on CNY for me :)

Got both the clip-on and leather case too

Free screen protector thrown in +1
51907577_10218804766210601_8885474929475059712_n.jpg

51623619_10218804766610611_1405677284844634112_n.jpg

51214136_10218804767610636_4722346602428104704_n.jpg

51289047_10218804769010671_5004384215559569408_n.jpg

51777795_10218804768490658_8198633337275809792_n.jpg

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #4,604 of 6,413
So, I just received mine, and I must tell I'm really mind-blowed by this little thing :D

Compared to my smartphone (an Honor 5C, which has the reputation of having a good Jack audio quality for a sub-200$ smartphone), the M0 is of course like day and night. But I think it's also a step above my Asus GL503VD, a gaming laptop which has a really great Jack output.

And this audio comparison stands for Bluetooth mode, with SBC codec (my current phone is running Android 7, so I have no other choice), so I can easily guess how the M0 would perform with FLAC files.

The only downside when I used it was the Jack of my Sennheiser Momentum were unplugging very easily ; a very simple pression on them would slightly unplug it and so I would have music in only the left ear. That pretty disappointed me, until I figured out I could push the Jack further in the M0's port ^^ I was a bit afraid of pushing it too much, but in fact it's required in order to correctly plug the headphones in.

So, after testing a bit of Epic, Rock, Metal, and Classical (basically Introduction and Rondo Cappricioso from Saint-Saëns, the Ballade n°1 from Chopin, and a few others) I find it rather musical than analytic: I can easily separate the instruments in my head, but that's not a precision DAP. Rather, its musical side is really enjoyable, as you just have to listen & enjoy.

That's my very first DAP, I was a bit afraid of the audio quality since this is only a 99$ product, but it's really worth the price. Thanks again to Shanling for this great product :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back