1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shanling M0 - Nano size, touch screen, LDAC & aptX BT, USB DAC/transport and ESS Sabre ES9218P, FW 3.1

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Shanling, Mar 16, 2018.
First

Back
199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208
210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219
Next

Last
  1. P3108
    Totally
    Agreed the mastering is paramount. I have laid off Hi-Res for last few years as I found the provenance of much Hi-Res to be questionable. That said some of the better masters I have are in Hi-Res formats.

Also agree that the quality of the components are more important than the technical spec/ability to play infinite high resolution.

So far I'm finding what others have said earlier in the thread in that I'd like a bit more bass not masses but a touch. If we are not caring about the resolution then I find some of these Hi-Res players too focussed on a sound signature that is revealing rather than engaging.

2. rdale
    Perhaps the amplifier part of the M0 might only go up to 20khz, but the Digital to Analog converter part will probably top out at close to half the sampling rate, such as 48khz for a 24/96 track. The brick wall filter at CD sampling rates can still affect frequencies in the audio band, and by using higher sampling rates like 24/96 that can be avoided even if the M0 amplifier has an analog roll off beyond 20khz.

barondla likes this.
  3. abitdeef
    What iems and cans you use are going to dictate that also. Shanling is supposed to implement a custom EQ in a future firmware update so that should help you get some more bottom end in your sound. I’m using ak t8ie mkii which have a really nice bass response and helps with the engaging musical sound. I haven’t messed with any of the preset Eq settings myself- but I prefer user Eq anyways.

M0is very close to neutral. The clarity is really good and the noise is very low.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. SilverEars
    I think what you looked at was frequency response spec. It's in terms of 20-20k and any deviations from flat response. It's only -.5

We care about that range so it's spec'd in that range.

5. SilverEars
    The chip's max sampling is stated to be 384khz, that's well beyond that 40khz certification you care about.

6. P3108
    Got you so possibly it may do 40khz at -3dB for example but they haven't referenced it as such as -0.5dB at 20khz means something?

7. fish1050
    HiRes certification simply means the player can play the HiRes files not that it can actually play the files at frequencies only dogs can hear. Hey my dog loves "Who Let The Dogs Out" put on the 40 Khz version so he can rock out. :ksc75smile:

8. P3108
    Actually it means both if you take a look at the official site/specs.

barondla likes this.
  9. P3108
    Not saying it is necessary just that this is technically what the certification is supposed to provide.

barondla likes this.
  10. SilverEars
    This depends on the output stage performance or the headphone amp section basically. As long as it doesn't deviate (from flat) beyond what we consider audible or noticible to our ears, it's fine.

As long as the amp is within reasonable flatness to 20k. We good. No need to worry about what dogs can hear or not (how was it recorded? I'm sure the recording don't stretch that far, the equipment used have limitations).

As you can see, our main concern is what matters most, our hearing range, up to 20k. There other limits as well. The music file's bit rate, and it's mastering quality. The DAP recognizes the file formate and decodes accordingly to it's original sampling or you can have it upsample (or artifically raise the bit rate), but I personally don't like upsample.

Quality of the recording makes a big difference.

11. P3108
    The left swipe gesture on this thing is a dog though right?

12. jelbo
    Same here. With or without gapless enabled. Freshly made .dsf's using Sonore's ISO2DSD (that uses the latest sacd_extract.exe). It's kind of a disappointment for me after buying a DAP that advertises itself as being HiRes certified, plays DSD and does gapless.

Here's what Shanling said about it:

13. fish1050
    Unless they plan to market DAP's for dogs then why worry if it plays to 40 Khz. That's how you get people to plop down obscene amounts of money for the A&K DAP's and Sony WMZ's out there. Convince gullible people that it matters and take their money. I am a little ashamed that I did just that for 15 years selling insanely expensive audio gear to incredibly naive and uninformed customers. That twaddle the sales guys use to peddle who make you guys cringe. If I was still selling when HiRes became a thing I could
    Yes I am oversimplifying it but without diving into the minutia of the whole HiRes mess of specs etc.. which I have done and regret since I will never get those wasted hours back. I sold insanely expensive audio gear to gullible customers based on these nutty figures. Back then we called it high fidelity, now they call HiRes, different name, same con job. Still amazes me how this stuff keeps coming back every couple of decades. Can't wait to see what the call it next.

Sorry for the weird post my internet connection went flaky and I didn't think the first part of the post got saved, then it added to instead of creating another post

xza23 and AndySocial like this.
  14. AudioBear
    Could agree with you more. A part of the industry needs something new to sell every year and they do it by creating things like Hi-Res and MQA. Other companies do it by creating real value. I think Shanling does that. My new M0 is just a pleasure and worth far more than its price.

15. P3108
    Ignore me I've got the hang of it now.

First

Back
199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208
210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219
Next

Last