1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shanling M0 - Nano size, touch screen, LDAC & aptX BT, USB DAC/transport and ESS Sabre ES9218P, FW 3.1

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Shanling, Mar 16, 2018.
First

Back
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212
Next

Last
  1. zaero69
    Well the idea is for using it on the pocket easily. That's why double click to pause is perfect for me.

My 2 cents on making the firmware better and more usable

Mike-WI likes this.
  2. XVortex
    Here we go - I and aleXmod presents:

Shanling M0 custom firmware based on v2.1: link

- Highly optimized graphics, font and binaries for maximum speed;
    - English and Russian language strings was corrected/added;

Enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    xza23, zato23, nikolay.s and 3 others like this.
  3. SomeEntityThing
    Custom Firmware already? Wow, you guys are on the ball. I'm excited to try it out when my M0 arrives!

Just out of curiosity, what programming language did you use to create this?

4. greatwhite58
    Jeez! The guy from Shanling posts on here a lot answering our questions etc. As for eta on any upgrades well he said several times that he will put the ideas forward but how the heck can he give a date on such a wide variety of updates that have been requested? Personally I will just look forward to any as and when they arrive and in the meantime I shall be enjoying playing music on my M0 instead of stressing why it does not have certain functions or if and when they will arrive.

5. jelbo
    Cool! Is the optimization noticeable in any other way than speed? Sounds like you did something with compression or file lay out. Which would be nice, but I'm not sure if I would flash that firmware only because of that and some translation improvements. Nice to see a custom firmware nonetheless, hope it'll be the first step into something great. Like Rockbox :wink:

6. rdale
    I'm really pleased with my M0 - it is so versatile.

I've been using at as a USB transport with my Chord Hugo, iFi Audio Black Label iDSD and Nano iDSD dacs. I bought the Shanling USB-C to USB micro cable for the Hugo and the USB-C version of the iFi OTG cable for the iFi DACS. I had got out of the habit of listening to my Ortofon eQ5 IEMs as by the time I was using the heavy combination of my Moto G5 phone as transport and the iFi Nano for mobile use, I thought I might as well use my full size Sennheiser Momentum over ears. But now I can just slip the M0 and my pocket and listen with the IEMs I've got back into the eQ5s.

I've paired it with my JBL Flip 3 to send it Bluetooth Music, bu even though the Flip only supports the SBC codec, it still sounds as good as my phone and doesn't tie up the phone anymore.

But the real reason I wanted to post to Head Fi for my first time, was my latest use of the M0 - a tiny JBL Go based stereo sound system, total weight 360 grams for M0, speakers and cable. I made up a 3.5 mm stereo jack to 3.5 mm mono jack lead with Duelund DCA20GA cable, Mundorf 3.8% silver solder and Switchcraft jack plugs. Now I can drive the JBL Go speaker in stereo via Bluetooth to the M0, where normally you can't pair two of them for stereo. But for best sound I can use the Apple Lossless tracks on 128GB micro SD card in the M0 using the Duelund cable and it really doesn't sound at all bad - non-existent bass of course but the treble is quite detailed and sweet and in stereo when I place the speakers about 35cm apart. Great to take on trips away from home.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    rayliam80, Stenso and jelbo like this.
  7. Vimtoman
    Any chance of a video of whats been done?
    I'm not sure what you have sped up as the GUI is not slow.

8. jelbo
    @rdale, sounds interesting. Your post would greatly benefit from some photos :)

I've been slightly bugged by album art that seemed to be not fully displayed. I mostly use a 500x500px folder.jpg in the album folder and also embedded in each track's ID3v2 tag. Time for a little test.

The screen resolution is supposedly 240x240, so I made a 240x240px image and saved it as a heavily optimized-for-quality .jpg that's near indistinguishable from a lossless .png:

[​IMG]

I created a folder with this folder.jpg file and a .flac with folder.jpg embedded as cover art. Let's check it out:

[​IMG]

Ha. After looking really carefully and checking the original image, it seems that only 222x222 pixels are displayed. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's displayed 1:1 natively, meaning that the (visible) screen resolution of the M0 is also 222x222. Why it displayed cover art cropped is rather mysterious though, I'd just downsample anything to native res.

No big issue, but pretty interesting.

9. silverfishla
    Omigosh! Can you do a custom for the M3s?

10. solopedro
    I have the M0 and have a very low volume when using bluetooth mode, regardless if is at 100% . I have latest firmware, I have tried with Bose, B&WPX, bluetooth speakers 2 different with same results.
    Any advice?

BTW, tried the custom firmware but does not recognize it

Thanks

11. endgame4
    Thanks. Update went fine. Have not noticed any big difference but I appeciate the effort.

12. davidcotton
    I got advised to turn up the volume of the device you are connecting the m0 to, then use the volume on the mo to control the volume itself (do a search a couple of pages back for the exact instructions). Instead I gave up, packaged the bluetooth headphones up for return and plugged in a set of headphones with a cable. No more volume issues!

13. Zachik
    JPG is a LOSSY compression algorithm. That means resulting quality and file size are very dependent on the image itself. Checkerboard pattern would always look same as original with tiny file size. You cannot extrapolate from that anything about real cover art. FYI...

14. solopedro
    Thanks a lot it worked!!

15. jelbo
    I know all about JPEG and their lossyness. I mentioned my process because the bug might be specific to .jpg's, so I wanted to use one. I also wanted to be able to see the coloured lines that are 1 pixel in width. Lastly, I chose a checkerboard pattern to more easily be able to discern things, especially the different coloured lines that would either be more visible on black or white, depending on the colour. But I digress. What it proves is that anything beyond 1 pixel outside of the inner red rectangle (= the 221st until the 240th pixel) is not displayed at all. And it does that for ANY cover art, regardless of resolution (e.g. 500x500 or 1024x1024; all are cropped when displayed).

First

Back
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212
Next

Last