Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 6, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #2,431 of 6,413
Considering wide and ridiculous market of car stereos, it would be for us impossible to implement such function fully.

You just need to add AVRCP profile (1.3 or Higher). Which the M0 doesn't have right now. You will also need this to remote control M0's playback (eg., M0 connected to AV Receiver controlled by Receiver's remote). I'm guessing this is in the pipeline for future firmware update.

1.3 — all of 1.0 plus metadata and media-player state support
  • The status of the music source (playing, stopped, etc.)
  • Metadata information on the track itself (artist, track name, etc.).

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #2,432 of 6,413
Weekend trips in the wife's Mini JCW means space is at a premium.
So I leave my main unit behind, AK SP1000 + Hugo 2 + Utopias and take M0 + Mojo + Layla.
This combination punches way above its weight.

Attachments

• 20180806_101045.jpg
    20180806_101045.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,433 of 6,413
You just need to add AVRCP profile (1.3 or Higher). Which the M0 doesn't have right now. You will also need this to remote control M0's playback (eg., M0 connected to AV Receiver controlled by Receiver's remote). I'm guessing this is in the pipeline for future firmware update.

I serioulsy hope @Shanling is looking into adding AVRCP profile. it's quite a standard profile in all BT devices..i would love to be able to use my car steering or a BT remote to skip tracks..So far almost all other DAP i've tried all have this capability..only the M0 doesn't..

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,434 of 6,413
If I understand correctly, DSEE HX is an additional algorithm for use with LDAC, that Sony implements solely into their newer models, i.e. I have not seen 3rd party model (Ldac receivers and Ldac headphones of other brands) to state in their specificarions, that it is used. Sony says it is not just an upscaler, but to simplify it, it upscales and by it I mean it calculates missing information, that was lost somewhere in the process of encoding music into lossy containers (all of them are lossy, even those losless ones, as digital is no analogue...). Not as advanced and true as Chord’s tapping into music data for decoding it faithfully using brutal computing power (more taps = more precise identification of transients = better sound), it probably cleverly calculates (creates) missing pieces of information and it probably uses fle metadata / Ldac metadata / its own metadata identified during frequency analysis somehow to identifiy frequencies that need recalculation most. Maybe similarly to Chord’s brand new M-Scaler.

And to that Shanling’s response: Headphone manufacturers tune their dacs to sound best with their cans lately, Take f.e. Audeze iSine and cypher cable (that contains dac) - both units are tuned to sound best together, much better than with other dacs. Is it a fair thing to do? In my opinion it is not. If you do this, then sell it only together, right? it is kinda similar to preimplementing Chrome into Android devices or Internet Explorer into Microsoft Windows. It makes that product less usefull for use in other scenarios. Yet it happens, and noone says a thing against it. That said, Sony may have implemented a feature, that it uses flat tuning when their cans are paired with sources, that licenced only something. Or maybe noone can licence it, maybe it is related to Big data collection through android phones - you want DSEE HX? Ok, then install our app, and we will give you DSEE HX :D. Same as with Audeze - noone says a thing about or against it. Secret stuff, I tell you. It is merely a guess. I may be wrong.. But I know one thing for sure: They do not want to disturb consumers with such an unimportant information :wink: . Manufacturers are so kind to us.

So to sum it up. Noone knows for sure, and probably only way how to react is to say these things happen in the world of business, Live with it.

Well thanks for the reply. Ive been in contact with Shanling on their support page on Facebook (thanks for taking the time) and it seems its not an M0 issue, but rather a general Bluetooth/Sony issue. Now since Im not a purist nor a high-end type of person, I just want something that sounds good to me. In this case, using the Android phone and Google Play Music sounds better to me using the Wi-1000x headphones than the two players I have (Lotoo Paw 5000 and the M0) through Bluetooth. So that kinda sucks for me, but Im sticking with my phone then. So to sum up - thanks for the feedback, the M0 seems like a good device, and I will use it with my Shure SE215 but not with my Bluetooth headset.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #2,439 of 6,413
Can a battery be replaced in the M0?

If you open the device(with needed skills and understanding this breaks warranty) and manage to get the battery from us, then yes, you can exchange it

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 7, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2,440 of 6,413
If you open the device(with needed skills and understanding this breaks warranty) and manage to get the battery from us, then yes, you can exchange it

So basically wait until the warranty expires and if you can get the M0 open and can source the battey then give it a shot. Nothing really to lose at that point, if you break the device trying to change the battery and the battery is already dead you need to get at new DAP anyway.

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2,441 of 6,413
Has anyone tried comparing the M0 to the LG V20 or V30+ which have the same integrated ESS9218P DAC integrated? Just want to know how same or different they are in terms of implementation and sound quality. From what i read, LG's seem to have a lot more brighter signature? Anyone who have both could lend some insights! TIA!

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,442 of 6,413
My m0 arrived this morning - it's a nice looking unit and easy to use!
I have noticed however that when using it as a usb transport into my Chord Mojo is doesn't sound quite as good as when i use UAPP in bit perfect mode from my android phone. There is a definite lack of spaciousness/clarity noticeable, particularly on hires albums when using the m0. It is really obvious when listening to the intro of Halo on my 48-24 copy of Depeche Mode - Violator.

Why would this be? It Is there a bit perfect mode i am missing causing the m0 to do some additional processing?

EDIT: I've just noticed that the EQ settings still take effect when using the usb output. This would imply that the data is being processed somehow and that it is not a bitperfect output...

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,443 of 6,413
My unit behaves erratically sometimes - spontaneous decreases of volume to zero or very low level, jumps to the beginning/middle/end of tracks, skipping or rewind to the start of tracks, spontaneous additions of tracks to favourites (even if I tried to do this myself it can be challenging pressing the heart icon due to the tiny screen), etc.

Wonder what could be causing this, it can be quite annoying at times. My double-tap of the volume wheel is set to "pause", I don't think I am touching any controls when the above issues happen, and the screen is also turned off. Could it be because of the integrated remote control on the earphones I use, or interference with my iPhone (although bluetooth is off)? Or could interface buttons be somehow pressed on the screen when it is turned off?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #2,445 of 6,413
Hi there. I deactivate and reactivate bluetooth, then repair all my SONY speaker but no luck, it still shows the standart bluetooth icon. I jumped between the codecs as well, no luck :frowning2:

Btw thanks for the update music settings :) sorry for my ignorance on that :)

I have a sony speaker and it pairs OK. try Ldac auto setting on M0. it's the first setting.
I do have problems first off connecting so switch off bluetooth on M0.
Press the power/pairing button on the speaker and hold it down for a fast led flash.
Switch on the M0 and switch on bluetooth.
Press search and it will find the speaker at the bottom of M0 screen.
select your speaker.
wait as it takes time . you should see the led on your speaker change speed.
If the speaker does not hook up try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back