Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 23, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #5,387 of 6,413
That's not "documented".

Documented means you have a document on your website explaining it, and a user looking for it on your website can find the documentation.

I'm actually trying to help here. Documentation is important.

That advanced PDF you linked is pretty good, but it's too hard to find, you have to use Google to find THIS site and THIS thread, and then start reading from the beginning or be lucky enough to have someone tell you about it. It should be on en.shanling.com. And it really needs to go into more detail... the My Music->Playlists submenu is a mystery, you can create a playlist there, for example, but it just creates a playlist called "Playlist1" and doesn't let you put any tracks in it. Is this the "internal playlists" you mentioned elsewhere upthread?

You also need the same kind of document describing the layout of files and where you should put Playlists so the player will see them.

I'll send you an example file later. I'm kind of not up to fiddling with uploads ... I'm recovering from a root canal and the whole side of my face hurts.

No, it's "ITunes/iTunes Music". There's also "iTunes/Purchases" and "iTunes/iTunes Media". I don't know why Purchases is separate from iTunes Music, but it's mostly duplicated in iTunes Music so I didn't bother putting it on my card.

On another subject, I just discovered the player is almost useless as a USB Mass Storage device on Mac. It stops responding very quickly, I suspect when it goes into sleep mode. It doesn't disconnect, it just stops responding. The raw SD card is faster in an SD card reader anyway.

Advanced manual is kind of raw version, we do not have it available on our website, we provide it directly to customers if they reach out to us here, over email or social media.

You put tracks into internal playlist either from now playing screen (the plus icon, page 11 of manual) or from My Music or Folders sub menu. Click the three dots next to file and there you will see "Add To Playlist". Page 8 of manual.

External user created playlist can be viewed only through Folders submenu.

You can send me some playlist file to check, of course I will not be able to fully confirm it functionality, since I do not know exact folder structure you have on your player. Please send it to me over PM.

So all your music files are in iTunes folders and you copied them directly onto mSD card?

Unfortunately we have no MAC in our offices to test out USB connection right now. But when M0 is connected over USB, there is no sleep mode.

Does new “customizable” EQ work from BT source, or internal player only?

Only when playing from internal memory.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #5,388 of 6,413
To be honest, we are actually waiting for ideal mp3 gapless since last march.

I experienced such moment with SD once or twice on my units, I think just some random glitch. But if you see more often, will try to find cause of it.

Album list view? We already have album browsing. Do you mean some special setting for it?

Asked colleague to borrow some for us for testing, will see what we will find out.

For playlists, it's quite basic and I explained it in previous reply.

Be sure to have them with relative path and put them in folder that is matching the path. Example is in my previous reply.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge how iTunes creates playlists and if they can be easily moved to our players. I see in your previous post, you are talking about itunes/itunes... Do you have folders on your microSD card named exactly the same?
Sorry, I meant a search by the "album artist" tag which is used for albums and compilations (artist names in artist tag, and "vvaa" or similar on album artist tag) . Right now if I have an album of multiple artists, I will have all of them scattered in different places. If a use album view I will have the opposite problem. Compilations will be fine but I won't know the artist name. So. With album artist tag, you allow the user to sort alphabetically by artist and album name at the same time, keeping id3 tags in order. Does it makes sense?

Good to know about ideal gapless on mp3 and aac, I'll wait, hoping to see it in the next update. So.. the next firmware is already scheduled or we don't know yet when it will come out?

BTW, it is really really cool to have such official responses so fast for everyone. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #5,389 of 6,413
Please modify the software so that when you go to the playlist, the list always scrolls to the song being played.

I constantly listen to the player in mode
Artist -> ALL track.
Those are all tracks from all albums and collections in one list.

When listening, you come across an example of a live recording and you want to find a high-quality studio track - if you switch to the general list from the playback screen of the track, all the songs will be immediately available (due to alphabetical sorting).

But considering that the list of tracks is very long - you constantly have to scroll it manually, before the song that is being played at the moment.

If this general list scrolling is done automatically, it will be much more convenient.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #5,390 of 6,413
I switched to a known good USB3-A to USB-C cable instead of the one that came with the player, and that seems to have fixed my file access problem on the Mac.

I also tested it on Ubuntu 18.04 with the exfat-fuse/bionic filesystem driver and it works with the same cable. I don't know if it works with the original cable because I accidentally left that at home.

I don't know if the cable I got was flakey or if it actually needs a full USB3 cable on the Mac (I don't know if your cable is really USB3 rated).

I also flattened my file system hierarchy on the device once I got that working (so I don't have /Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/... but instead just /Music/iTunes Music/...) after removing the other stuff in iTunes... and edited the playlist to match and it seems to be working now.

I still think you need to have a FAQ and that advanced manual on the website. Or at least a pointer to this thread. People who don't stumble on this thread are going to be stuck because the stock documentation is just this side of useless.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #5,392 of 6,413
Maybe it is a stupid question, but does the shanling m0 supports audio calls? I mean, if it's paired with my phone via bluetooth, can I use it to answer my calls through the earphone?

Thanks a lot!
M0 does not have a microphone.

M0 does not talk to microphones attached to headphones.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #5,393 of 6,413
Jul 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #5,394 of 6,413
Yes, I know about the FiiO M5, but they don't support bluetooth transport, which is important to me. Damn it, I'll have to choose between being able to answer calls wireless-ly or use my chord mojo in bluetooth mode... Life is not easy #firstworldproblems
hahahahha

@Shanling, isn't it possible to support to connect with the phone as a bluetooth to receive calls even though it doesn't have a mic, or can't it read microphone input from the earphone?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #5,395 of 6,413
Yes, I know about the FiiO M5, but they don't support bluetooth transport, which is important to me. Damn it, I'll have to choose between being able to answer calls wireless-ly or use my chord mojo in bluetooth mode... Life is not easy #firstworldproblems
hahahahha

@Shanling, isn't it possible to support to connect with the phone as a bluetooth to receive calls even though it doesn't have a mic, or can't it read microphone input from the earphone?
Which bit of "M0 does not talk to microphones attached to headphones." does not make sense? I thought it was clear. The answer is no (as has been stated before in this very thread). Sorry.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #5,396 of 6,413
Which bit of "M0 does not talk to microphones attached to headphones." does not make sense? I thought it was clear. The answer is no (as has been stated before in this very thread). Sorry.
I'm sorry, in my dynamic reading I only read that the m0 doesn't have microphone and skipped the second part. I apologize if I annoyed you with that, it wasn't my intention.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #5,397 of 6,413
I'm sorry, in my dynamic reading I only read that the m0 doesn't have microphone and skipped the second part. I apologize if I annoyed you with that, it wasn't my intention.
Something about your reply on the M5 makes me suspect you might have been thinking of using the M0 as a Bluetooth receiver and transmitter at the same time. It can do one or the other but not both together.

In any case the Bluetooth receiver mode can only play music to wired headphones or a USB connected DAC. It does not talk to mics or remotes on wired earphones.

Can't think of any other device that will do what you want. Wouldn't it be great to be able to leave the phone in the backpack while strapping M0 to the wrist and using Bluetooth earphones. Then if the phone rings, the name of the caller is displayed on M0. You tap the screen to answer and listen to the call with the wireless earphones. Sadly we are not there yet (because phone makers don't think about DAPs, DACs, etc. and DAP makers don't think about phones).

This might get you closer: https://www.radsone.com/earstudio

It's not a DAP though. The phone would have to play the tunes over Bluetooth and then it's wired earphones only.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #5,398 of 6,413
Something about your reply on the M5 makes me suspect you might have been thinking of using the M0 as a Bluetooth receiver and transmitter at the same time. It can do one or the other but not both together.

In any case the Bluetooth receiver mode can only play music to wired headphones or a USB connected DAC. It does not talk to mics or remotes on wired earphones.

Can't think of any other device that will do what you want. Wouldn't it be great to be able to leave the phone in the backpack while strapping M0 to the wrist and using Bluetooth earphones. Then if the phone rings, the name of the caller is displayed on M0. You tap the screen to answer and listen to the call with the wireless earphones. Sadly we are not there yet (because phone makers don't think about DAPs, DACs, etc. and DAP makers don't think about phones).

It's not a DAP though. The phone would have to play the tunes over Bluetooth and then it's wired earphones only.

It's not as bad as one would think... I do this all the time with multiple phones. One phone will play music while the other is used for conference calls. The music will stop while I'm on the call though. You can pair the ES100 to two different sources at the same time and yeah the wired headphone part sucks but the sound quality of the ES100 is so good. I have not tried this with Truly Wireless earbuds though as I'm not 100% sure that any of them support it.

I have the Advanced Access Port Air but haven't tried it out yet with two devices.

The M0 is a great mini DAP and while it does have it's limitations imagine if you had bought a Hidizs Ap200 like me and were sitting here regretting not waiting for the Shanlin M5s or M2x. lol

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #5,399 of 6,413

Thanks for your answer Chris, and for trying to understand my needs better.

Basically what I need is:

1. a device to listen to the songs I have on my phone through LDAC in my wired shure se425

2. if my phone rings in the middle of my listening, I can answer it in there. I also do a lot of skype calls, so being able to do them wireless would be convenient

3. a device to make my chord mojo wireless so I can have on my sound system while I switch things on my phone on the sofa =P

4. DAP would be good for jogging, but not necessarily crucial

Aparently shanling m0 can do 1 and 3, and Fiio m5 can do 1 and 2.

Moreover, how does the two compare soundwise? I know they use different dac chips, and that m0 output is slightly bigger ( 80 mW into 32 ohm against 42mW into 16 ohm)

One more time, I really appreciate all the answers!

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #5,400 of 6,413
Sorry, I meant a search by the "album artist" tag which is used for albums and compilations (artist names in artist tag, and "vvaa" or similar on album artist tag) . Right now if I have an album of multiple artists, I will have all of them scattered in different places. If a use album view I will have the opposite problem. Compilations will be fine but I won't know the artist name. So. With album artist tag, you allow the user to sort alphabetically by artist and album name at the same time, keeping id3 tags in order. Does it makes sense?

Good to know about ideal gapless on mp3 and aac, I'll wait, hoping to see it in the next update. So.. the next firmware is already scheduled or we don't know yet when it will come out?

BTW, it is really really cool to have such official responses so fast for everyone. Keep up the good work!

Album artist is on list of features to add.

Unfortunately I can't promise you when or if the mp3 gapless problem will be fixed.

I just wish I could give you more info regarding software development, but unfortunately it's not going as smoothly as I would wish.

Please modify the software so that when you go to the playlist, the list always scrolls to the song being played.

We are aware that this part of system is not ideal, hoping to make it better.

I switched to a known good USB3-A to USB-C cable instead of the one that came with the player, and that seems to have fixed my file access problem on the Mac.

I also tested it on Ubuntu 18.04 with the exfat-fuse/bionic filesystem driver and it works with the same cable. I don't know if it works with the original cable because I accidentally left that at home.

I don't know if the cable I got was flakey or if it actually needs a full USB3 cable on the Mac (I don't know if your cable is really USB3 rated).

I also flattened my file system hierarchy on the device once I got that working (so I don't have /Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/... but instead just /Music/iTunes Music/...) after removing the other stuff in iTunes... and edited the playlist to match and it seems to be working now.

I still think you need to have a FAQ and that advanced manual on the website. Or at least a pointer to this thread. People who don't stumble on this thread are going to be stuck because the stock documentation is just this side of useless.

M0 is not using USB3 connection.

Will definitely add some part regarding playlists to our web.

M0 unfortunately do not have microphone or support for in-line microphones.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back