Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 6, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #3,031 of 6,413
I know all about JPEG and their lossyness. I mentioned my process because the bug might be specific to .jpg's, so I wanted to use one. I also wanted to be able to see the coloured lines that are 1 pixel in width. Lastly, I chose a checkerboard pattern to more easily be able to discern things, especially the different coloured lines that would either be more visible on black or white, depending on the colour. But I digress. What it proves is that anything beyond 1 pixel outside of the inner red rectangle (= the 221st until the 240th pixel) is not displayed at all. And it does that for ANY cover art, regardless of resolution (e.g. 500x500 or 1024x1024; all are cropped when displayed).
Got it. Made my JPG comment, because one can never know what others on the thread know and what may be news to them... :wink:
For better or worse - demographics, age, education and level of knowledge on these threads are very very wide.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3,032 of 6,413
@Shanling I think that the system can be made mor user-friendly or at least to give more options for customization by giving the clickwheel more options.
There are 4 Possible Use cases Pushing the clickwheel:
-With Screen on:
- 2 fast clicks
- 3 Fast clicks
- With Screen off:
- 2 fast clicks
- 3 Fast clicks

That way you can add more options for the user to be able to do certain things.
For example with screen off: 2 clicks play / pause, 3 clicks, next song
and with screen on, dunno really.

3 clicks are possible, but we would definitely have them work constantly no matter if the screen is on or off.

Even if @Shanling responded with we are working on the next firmware update but no eta available, that would be something. Obviously not the response I want but at least it would be something. So that is all that I want right now is an acknowledgement that a fw will be coming at some point and what possibly might be in it. If they are in fact working on an update then they should be able to give us some idea what it will contain even if not a full list. As with any business deal I simply want continued communication from Shanling.

If you guys are happy with your M0 and don't feel it needs any improvements then you shouldn't care what I post.

Yes, our team is working on update. It's now going little bit slower, since focus is now on M5s, implementing new functions to it, which will then be pushed to M0 too.

Here we go - I and aleXmod presents:

Shanling M0 custom firmware based on v2.1: link

- Highly optimized graphics, font and binaries for maximum speed;
- English and Russian language strings was corrected/added;

Enjoy.

Interesting, I feel it works slightly better.
Too bad it has no support for special symbols, kind of tricky to use with Japanese, Chinese, etc music.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 6, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #3,034 of 6,413
Is there a hibylink alternative for the shanling m0? I'm really interested in getting it for the portability but would be nice if I can use my phone to scroll through my albums as well
Coming soon

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #3,036 of 6,413
I know all about JPEG and their lossyness. I mentioned my process because the bug might be specific to .jpg's, so I wanted to use one. I also wanted to be able to see the coloured lines that are 1 pixel in width. Lastly, I chose a checkerboard pattern to more easily be able to discern things, especially the different coloured lines that would either be more visible on black or white, depending on the colour. But I digress. What it proves is that anything beyond 1 pixel outside of the inner red rectangle (= the 221st until the 240th pixel) is not displayed at all. And it does that for ANY cover art, regardless of resolution (e.g. 500x500 or 1024x1024; all are cropped when displayed).
No.

I reported months ago that not all of the screen is visible. If you look slant-wise you can see some of the hidden pixels. Seems like a design fault to me as it appears to be only the paint on the back of the glass that is hiding the edges of the screen. It has nothing to do with the JPEGS but I suppose Shanling could cache the album art a little smaller so that we see the whole image and not a clipped image.

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #3,037 of 6,413
Since theres only one button to bring to life the display we have
short clicks (1, 2, 3 clicks)
long clicks (here we have seconds to count)

That way you can play with the controls and thus make the player controlable from inside the pocket without having to look at the screen (this is my wet dream)
One of the problems of this playeris that it's not lockable. Even ipods were. And ipods should be the example to copy the interface.

If you want to implement the lock on this player my suggestion is with the clickwheel long press time
Short press time : Bring the screen on (except if it's locked)
Medium press time (around 2 seconds) to lock or unlock the screen
Long press time (4 seconds or longer)

And yes, in future revisions think that a slider to lock / unlock the player ir a good idea

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #3,038 of 6,413
Your pronounced No moves me to react :)
I reported months ago that not all of the screen is visible. If you look slant-wise you can see some of the hidden pixels. Seems like a design fault to me as it appears to be only the paint on the back of the glass that is hiding the edges of the screen.
Yes, the pixels on the outer edges of the screen are slighly hidden by the bezel/paint. In my image example, it's the non-coloured outline outside of the inner red outline. But looking really hard, I do not see the blue line that comes next, not even slightly. So I'm staying with my conclusion of 220x220 pixels being displayed :wink:
It has nothing to do with the JPEGS but I suppose Shanling could cache the album art a little smaller so that we see the whole image and not a clipped image.
Not sure what you mean by that. I think we can indeed disregard the image format as I'm pretty sure it will be the same with a .png or .gif. I don't know if images are cached in any way, my guess is that the OS is downsampling and displaying them when accessed. I also have a hunch additional JPEG compression is being used, beause I clearly see heavy artifacts on 500x500 images that look way cleaner and should look even cleaner when downsampled.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #3,039 of 6,413
@rdale, sounds interesting. Your post would greatly benefit from some photos :)

Yes I agree! I did try to post a photo by clicking on the icon with mountains in the Reply to Thread editing box, but it didn't have a file selector so I could find the .jpegs on my file system, it only had a URL for images that are already on the web as far as I can see. Maybe because I'm a Head Fi newbie who has only posted a single message, the option hasn't been enabled for me yet.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,040 of 6,413
Jeez! The guy from Shanling posts on here a lot answering our questions etc. As for eta on any upgrades well he said several times that he will put the ideas forward but how the heck can he give a date on such a wide variety of updates that have been requested? Personally I will just look forward to any as and when they arrive and in the meantime I shall be enjoying playing music on my M0 instead of stressing why it does not have certain functions or if and when they will arrive.

Then all he has to do is post that, at least it is a response on the question and I will stop bringing it up. But to continuing to answer other posts which is great how hard is it to post, fw update in progress unable to provide eta at this time.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #3,041 of 6,413
3 clicks are possible, but we would definitely have them work constantly no matter if the screen is on or off.

Yes, our team is working on update. It's now going little bit slower, since focus is now on M5s, implementing new functions to it, which will then be pushed to M0 too.

Thank you for the update that all I was looking for, sorry if I got a little pushy just the business side of my personality getting in the way.

Interesting, I feel it works slightly better.
Too bad it has no support for special symbols, kind of tricky to use with Japanese, Chinese, etc music.

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #3,042 of 6,413
Is there an option for gapless playback?

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #3,044 of 6,413
Is there an option for gapless playback?
There is no switch, it is always on.
There's definitely an option in the Music options. It was off by default on my M0.

gapless6edbi.jpg

Also, while finally taking the time to listen to some SACD transfers, I've come across some pretty big bugs.
  • With DSF (DSD64) gapless doesn't work; there's even a loud click between tracks (I think at the beginning of the next track). This click is not there when I play the DSF with foobar2000.
  • With DSF (DSD64) the EQ presets don't work, at all.
  • The EQ didn't work either with 96KHz/24-bit FLACs. It did work on 44KHz/16-bit FLACs. Looks like a CPU limitation? Hopefully not.
  • I let a friend listen to some tunes (DSF) using bluetooth (AAC) on his Bose QuietComfort 35's. I was about 1 or 2 meters from him all the time and the connection kept on dropping intermediately. I had the same on his Pioneer car radio using bluetooth with AAC.
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but a custom EQ would be really, really handy. I want a slight bass bump on my T2's, but the 'Bass' preset is distorted way too much (that's a generic EQ preset for ya). If I get the EQ to work at all, which is almost never because I listen to a lor of high res files, for which EQ is broken at the moment.

Apart from that, the DSF files are sounding in-cre-di-ble. It's fantastic to have a little DAP that natively plays DSD. I'm using the popular Chinese Tin Audio T2 IEMs and my good old American Grado SR80's :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back