Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 14, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,566 of 6,413
I think if they keep the format of the M0 GUI on the next model which i guess they will then software will continue to be improved.
I think they will add as much to the M0 as long as it keeps up.
I respect shanling for what they have done so far and the chap who's keeping tabs on this forum is the best Company representative on the forum.
He's always here replying.

I've not included the portable cassette players I have in the late 70's 80's :wink:

Shanling are looking pretty good so far on the updates.

I must admit I fancy the Audiobook addition if it comes.

That's the main reason I'm hoping the flagship is android. Work of a moment to install an audiobook app if it isn't supported and has full android.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #2,567 of 6,413
@Shanling can you provide an eta for the next firmware update and what we can expect from it?

I was promised new firmware for august. What will it change? I hope everything. I send to our software team list of like 30 bigger or smaller problems of M0, so they have stuff to work on.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #2,568 of 6,413
Considering this is their FIRST DAP with their homegrown OS, it'd be kind of hard to not continue to update it. Even if they introduce another DAP, it's the same OS and still needs to be refined and improved. And being their original device with it, they would alienate their early adopters who would in turn never let them hear the end of it. And I'm sure that would hurt future sales because that rep would carry over.

I am not saying they won't but the DAP market is pretty small and I don't know what kind of resources they have to put towards their cheapest DAP. Especially if they have higher margin models in the pipeline like the new flagship model.

This is the one thing that has made me wary of buying a Chinese DAP. Their tendency to release models incomplete and then finish them over a bunch of firmware updates. Not saying Shanling is Fiio but Fiio has a history of giving up on updating their DAP's before they are completely fixed, especially thier lower end models. A big plus with Sony is they release their DAP's as finished products for the most part. Seeing how Shanling handles firmware updates for the M0 going forward will go a long way in determining if my next DAP will be a Shanling or will I go back to Sony!

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #2,569 of 6,413
I was promised new firmware for august. What will it change? I hope everything. I send to our software team list of like 30 bigger or smaller problems of M0, so they have stuff to work on.

You just made my point for me, the fact that Shanling released a DAP so incomplete as to have that many problems to fix concerns me. Yes it is great you are committed to updating your product and fixing problems but from my perspective the problems should have been fixed before the M0 was released.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #2,570 of 6,413
You just made my point for me, the fact that Shanling released a DAP so incomplete as to have that many problems to fix concerns me. Yes it is great you are committed to updating your product and fixing problems but from my perspective the problems should have been fixed before the M0 was released.
Please keep in mind that M0 is first to use in house firmware. Some (most ?) of the firmware updates since were added features and not bug fixes. I'm sure next device will start at a better starting point.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #2,571 of 6,413

I have quite a few DAPs... I remember lots more teething problems on quite a few of them. I definitely believe that your "so incomplete" comment is very unfair to Shanling. The M0 is a brilliant player, in an amazingly tiny footprint, which works very well for what I would think is a majority of users. Is it perfect? No. Can it be improved? Sure. But "so incomplete", at least to me, seems to imply that it has so many real problems that it does not do even the bare minimum needed to function. And that is very much not the case here. All the "problems" that have already been fixed, and that I think Shanling is fixing in the future would seem to me to have more to do with improving functionality and ease of use for some/many users, rather than being real "problems" that compromise function. Unless one is unlucky and gets a faulty machine, of course... which can happen, and will be dealt with under warranty (and will certainly not make the person who just bought the new toy happy, given that it involves returning the player to the guys who originally sold it, but it's a fact of life that s**t can happen... it's how one deals with it that matters :) ).

@Shanling if and when that might be possible, one functionality improvement (which is not a problem to fix :) , but my personal desire for an improved functionality for my own usual use scenario) that I would very like to be implemented would be adding a further screen to the Now playing ones, in which you get a list of the files currently queued for playing, ordered by artist (or,even better, you could let the user order them by a selectable criteria - Ibasso has Title/Artist/Album/Added as their criteria, for example - me, I only ever use the artist option:), but I guess others may have different preferences). So, for instance, if one had selected open all and shuffle (not something you do with classical music:)), this new screen would have a list of all files, ordered by artist (even if playing mode is different, like shuffle - so the order should be different that the order the actual list of files queued for playing will follow), and be at the specific song at that moment playing. If one had selected an album, a list of all songs of that album, still with the specific song playing at that moment highlighted. Some other DAPs do have this feature (most all Ibasso ones, for instance), and, me, I really find it useful. Would be great to also add it to your other players, but I understand how that might be even more complicated (I also have the M3s, but changing that firmware involves Hiby, so I guess it's less easy than introducing new features to the M0).

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #2,572 of 6,413

Considering most of these little problems are either meaningless for 99% of users or more like "user preferences", I think we are doing just fine.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #2,575 of 6,413
I have quite a few DAPs... I remember lots more teething problems on quite a few of them. I definitely believe that your "so incomplete" comment is very unfair to Shanling. The M0 is a brilliant player, in an amazingly tiny footprint, which works very well for what I would think is a majority of users. Is it perfect? No. Can it be improved? Sure. But "so incomplete", at least to me, seems to imply that it has so many real problems that it does not do even the bare minimum needed to function. And that is very much not the case here. All the "problems" that have already been fixed, and that I think Shanling is fixing in the future would seem to me to have more to do with improving functionality and ease of use for some/many users, rather than being real "problems" that compromise function. Unless one is unlucky and gets a faulty machine, of course... which can happen, and will be dealt with under warranty (and will certainly not make the person who just bought the new toy happy, given that it involves returning the player to the guys who originally sold it, but it's a fact of life that s**t can happen... it's how one deals with it that matters :) ).

@Shanling if and when that might be possible, one functionality improvement (which is not a problem to fix :) , but my personal desire for an improved functionality for my own usual use scenario) that I would very like to be implemented would be adding a further screen to the Now playing ones, in which you get a list of the files currently queued for playing, ordered by artist (or,even better, you could let the user order them by a selectable criteria - Ibasso has Title/Artist/Album/Added as their criteria, for example - me, I only ever use the artist option:), but I guess others may have different preferences). So, for instance, if one had selected open all and shuffle (not something you do with classical music:)), this new screen would have a list of all files, ordered by artist (even if playing mode is different, like shuffle - so the order should be different that the order the actual list of files queued for playing will follow), and be at the specific song at that moment playing. If one had selected an album, a list of all songs of that album, still with the specific song playing at that moment highlighted. Some other DAPs do have this feature (most all Ibasso ones, for instance), and, me, I really find it useful. Would be great to also add it to your other players, but I understand how that might be even more complicated (I also have the M3s, but changing that firmware involves Hiby, so I guess it's less easy than introducing new features to the M0).

I don't know what you are use to from products you buy but when a manufacturer admits to 30 problems needing fixes that is kind of alot. Sorry but I sold audio gear for many years and there was a time when a product with this many admitted problems would have been returned to the manufacturer. I beta tested alot of products over the years so that when a product was released this many admitted fixes would never occur. Now customers seem to be unpaid beta-testers who still pay full price for the product. When I beta tested I got the product free or at significant discount. Just because it is the norm doesn't mean it should be acceptable.

My Sony A17 was a first gen Sony DAP when I bought it and it needed two firmware updates total and one was to add LDAC. It is possible to release a more complete product if the manufacturer is committed to doing so.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #2,576 of 6,413
Considering most of these little problems are either meaningless for 99% of users or more like "user preferences", I think we are doing just fine.

I guess I am confused, how can 30 problems that you think need fixing be necessary if 99% of customers are happy? I guess I am one of the 1% because the touchscreen to me is not accurate to use and it is very difficult to get to an individual track. The battery meter is impossibly inaccurate and yes I have other portable devices that have much more accurate battery meters. I don't consider these minor problems

Also replaygain for me is not a minor thing though not a problem still a feature other DAP's have.

Would you be willing to let us know what some of these minor problems are that you think need to be fixed so we as owners can judge how minor they are?

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,577 of 6,413
I use my M0 everyday and love it. I have no problem with the screen now that I’ve gotten used to it. Yes the battery meter is very inaccurate but I know now I can go hours after the low battery warning and I’m sure Shanling will improve this. Other than the occasional card inserted message I’ve encountered zero problems/bugs with it. I don’t think it’s incomplete at all. In fact my Sony a35 screen scrolling was worse than this ( slow and choppy ) until Sony updated the firmware- they’re not always perfect out of the gate either.

They aren’t a fly by night company and I’d take a Shanling over most daps.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #2,578 of 6,413
I don't know what you are use to from products you buy but when a manufacturer admits to 30 problems needing fixes that is kind of alot. Sorry but I sold audio gear for many years and there was a time when a product with this many admitted problems would have been returned to the manufacturer. I beta tested alot of products over the years so that when a product was released this many admitted fixes would never occur. Now customers seem to be unpaid beta-testers who still pay full price for the product. When I beta tested I got the product free or at significant discount. Just because it is the norm doesn't mean it should be acceptable.

My Sony A17 was a first gen Sony DAP when I bought it and it needed two firmware updates total and one was to add LDAC. It is possible to release a more complete product if the manufacturer is committed to doing so.
As pointed out before these are mainly user requests not faults.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #2,579 of 6,413
I use my M0 everyday and love it. I have no problem with the screen now that I’ve gotten used to it. Yes the battery meter is very inaccurate but I know now I can go hours after the low battery warning and I’m sure Shanling will improve this. Other than the occasional card inserted message I’ve encountered zero problems/bugs with it. I don’t think it’s incomplete at all. In fact my Sony a35 screen scrolling was worse than this ( slow and choppy ) until Sony updated the firmware- they’re not always perfect out of the gate either.

They aren’t a fly by night company and I’d take a Shanling over most daps.

I have been playing with this DAP for weeks now and no matter how slow I scroll over the ... I can never land on the song I want. Either I shoot 10 songs over it or 10 songs under it. I judge usability by how easy it is for my wife to use and she can't get comfortable with the M0. I hear her cursing at it all the time when she wants to play a certain song. We are both IT professionals and have been using touchscreen devices ever since they came out. This is the most frustrated I have ever been with any touchscreen device. I am hoping that the next firmware update addresses the touchscreen and Shanling can add some kind of a search function or a page scroll to simplify getting to a track.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #2,580 of 6,413
I guess I am confused, how can 30 problems that you think need fixing be necessary if 99% of customers are happy? I guess I am one of the 1% because the touchscreen to me is not accurate to use and it is very difficult to get to an individual track. The battery meter is impossibly inaccurate and yes I have other portable devices that have much more accurate battery meters. I don't consider these minor problems

Also replaygain for me is not a minor thing though not a problem still a feature other DAP's have.

Would you be willing to let us know what some of these minor problems are that you think need to be fixed so we as owners can judge how minor they are?
Maybe then if you are that worried buy another brand and stop worrying about this one. Mine works fine and does what I need it to do, play music, if Shanling add other features then that is a bonus. For £99 it’s superb value especially the fantastic sound it produces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back