Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,456 of 6,413
Just for reference on a daily basis in my pockets I have;
  • 2x phones (sometime 3-4)
  • Knife of the day (usually a Butterfly Knife)
  • Bullet Space Pen or Kaweco Liliput Fountain pen
  • Vape (usually a Juul but sometimes a mini box)
  • Wallet
  • Handkerchief
  • DAP of the day (the Hidizs AP200 was really heavy, lol)
How many pockets do you have?! and how big are they???
That is a LOT of stuff you're carrying around... :wink:

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,457 of 6,413
I'll look into the velcro, I've already put my order in on Amazon for the clip... I use Silicon "Graffitti" bands (that's the red rubber band around the CMOY) mainly because they work for other things too but I figured I'd get the clip for the M0 and just attach it that way.
I have a pair of HD6XX's (300 Ohms) and while the M0 can power them I have to use the CMOY amp to get that little bit more that I need to drive the headphones. So my take on it is that the M0 will definitely drive most headphones but the amp combo is still needed for high impedance headphones.

My headphones of choice are only 22 ohms and very efficient so the 80 mW from the M0 should be more than enough. Holding it in my big hands is going to be the biggest issue I think

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,458 of 6,413
How many pockets do you have?! and how big are they???
That is a LOT of stuff you're carrying around... :wink:

I use a small satchel to carry my A17/Q1 stack and headphones and smartphone and it is very manageable. Not sure what I will use once I get the M0, the satchel might still work and it has a pocket I can clip the M0 to.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,459 of 6,413
I use a small satchel to carry my A17/Q1 stack and headphones and smartphone and it is very manageable. Not sure what I will use once I get the M0, the satchel might still work and it has a pocket I can clip the M0 to.
Yup me too! lol On a good day...lol... I wear cargo shorts/pants, my suit pants are pleated for the extra room, and/or I'm carrying a bag. My wife likes to call them my Man Purses/Murses. lol If you need a recommendation on a EDC (Everyday Carry) bag I've got plenty I can point you towards. ROFL :p It's even funnier when I sit down and everything bangs about or falls out of my pockets!

I've been using a Scott Evest hoodie recently, funny enough the M1 is slightly too large for the chest pocket I use but the M0 is the perfect size.

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,460 of 6,413
Yup me too! lol On a good day...lol... I wear cargo shorts/pants, my suit pants are pleated for the extra room, and/or I'm carrying a bag. My wife likes to call them my Man Purses/Murses. lol If you need a recommendation on a EDC (Everyday Carry) bag I've got plenty I can point you towards. ROFL :p It's even funnier when I sit down and everything bangs about or falls out of my pockets!

I've been using a Scott Evest hoodie recently, funny enough the M1 is slightly too large for the chest pocket I use but the M0 is the perfect size.

Yes that is what I deal with too!! gee that's a nice purse you have there does it match your high heels. My response, actually I prefer flats but I will wear heels for special occasions. :flushed: Once you get to be my age it is more about practicality than appearance and you stop given a *&*&(* what people think.

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,461 of 6,413
I have had the M0 for three plus weeks and I pair it with a Chord Hugo (sounds fantastic), I have updated to FW 2.0 which has made the already tight system even easier to use. I am a large guy in my late fifties who has worked in a range of interesting job roles where I have always had to request large hand adaptions to my equipment and I can honestly say that although the M0 is v small in my hands I have very few problems when using it (I certainly find the on/off button on the Hugo harder to operate), apart from the occasional right swipe/back movement if I start from too low on the screen. I have attached the M0 using white tack, which so far is holding very well.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #1,464 of 6,413
For those worried about size, any reason you couldn't use a stylus at a pinch?

Yeah if I was at home but trying to futz around with a stylus on the go would be a pain and likely cause Apple Newton flashbacks I would rather avoid. I thought about gluing a pencil eraser to my thumb or perhaps growing my thumbnail really long and rubberizing it :deadhorse:. I have a friend who is planning on getting a 3D printer. I might have him print me a contoured hand grip that I can attach the M0 to to make it easier to hold. My girlfriend suggested using a sewing thimble.

So lots of options available, but I will wait and try it first and then get silly with tactile options only if necessary. :thumbsup::yum:

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,465 of 6,413
I ordered a clip case and can't wait to get it. I did notice one thing though,
I feel that for usefulness, the clip is on the wrong side, especially for people with straight angle plugs on their earphones.
Right now, it means the when clipped to a shirt, the 3.5mm jack will be pointed down.
It means that when others look at your screen facing you it will be facing the right direction, but if you take a quick look directly down on your shirt, it will be upside down for you.

I'll probably remedy it with a short 10cm angled extension cord, but it feels like it could be better that way.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,466 of 6,413
I ordered a clip case and can't wait to get it. I did notice one thing though,
I feel that for usefulness, the clip is on the wrong side, especially for people with straight angle plugs on their earphones.
Right now, it means the when clipped to a shirt, the 3.5mm jack will be pointed down.
It means that when others look at your screen facing you it will be facing the right direction, but if you take a quick look directly down on your shirt, it will be upside down for you.

I'll probably remedy it with a short 10cm angled extension cord, but it feels like it could be better that way.
That screen/display rotation option would be useful.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,468 of 6,413
Finally, upgraded my phone, rocking Galaxy S9 since yesterday, which means now I have access to LDAC wireless codec. Except Samsung hid it, need to activate Developer Options to enable it, many won't even know it's there. But nevertheless, while pairing up M0 using LDAC HQ with S9, regardless of which IEM I tried, everything sounds like nearly a wired performance and a HUGE step up from a regular default BT connection. I hear a wider soundstage, a better low end extension, and the most noticeable improvement - sound dynamics is more expanded (vertically), not as flat.

So, in addition to all other features, M0 also makes one cool LDAC wireless dongle :wink:

shanling_m0-60.jpg shanling_m0-61.jpg shanling_m0-62.jpg

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #1,469 of 6,413
Finally, upgraded my phone, rocking Galaxy S9 since yesterday, which means now I have access to LDAC wireless codec. Except Samsung hid it, need to activate Developer Options to enable it, many won't even know it's there. But nevertheless, while pairing up M0 using LDAC HQ with S9, regardless of which IEM I tried, everything sounds like nearly a wired performance and a HUGE step up from a regular default BT connection. I hear a wider soundstage, a better low end extension, and the most noticeable improvement - sound dynamics is more expanded (vertically), not as flat.

So, in addition to all other features, M0 also makes one cool LDAC wireless dongle :wink:

is there a chance someone using old phone like nexus 5 with Oreo custom ROM getting the same LDAC treatment to M0 ? I have old nexus laying around.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,470 of 6,413

I have been using LDAC with my A17 transmitting to my Sony receiver and bluetooth speakers for 3+ years and it is a definite improvement over SBC and even AptX. The main reason I was looking at the A45 was to keep LDAC and also why I ordered a Shanling M0. Thanks for licensing LDAC Sony now I will have more options in the future. The M0 does not support Apt-X HD but with LDAC I don't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back