Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #3,646 of 6,413
I am thinking mainly of the accuracy of the scroll wheel and the touchscreen.
Are you having issues with scroll wheel? I had no issues with scroll wheel accuracy even before the update.
Coming from V2.0, vertical scrolling is a lot more consistent. Screen tearing is totally gone. Swiping from right is smoother. Swiping from left to goto previous screen, is still finicky (<50% accuracy).

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #3,647 of 6,413
Are you having issues with scroll wheel? I had no issues with scroll wheel accuracy even before the update.
Coming from V2.0, vertical scrolling is a lot more consistent. Screen tearing is totally gone. Swiping from right is smoother. Swiping from left to goto previous screen, is still finicky (<50% accuracy).

Maybe it is just my unit but when I try to change volume especially down sometimes the volume jumps up a couple of notches instead. Never really had an issue with screen tearing and mine came with version 1.5. My touchscreen issue is more up and down locating tracks. Although it is better even when I slow scroll I can't land on the track I want, usually end up 5 or 6 songs below or above it. Swiping left or right is not really and issue for me I would call it 80% accurate. After watching the video for the MTouch 2.0 on the M5S I am hoping Shanling can incorporate some of the features to the M0. Especially the vertical volume slider with the + and - volume icons as I find the volume slider on the M0 useless and way to touchy.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #3,648 of 6,413
Maybe it is just my unit but when I try to change volume especially down sometimes the volume jumps up a couple of notches instead. Never really had an issue with screen tearing and mine came with version 1.5. My touchscreen issue is more up and down locating tracks. Although it is better even when I slow scroll I can't land on the track I want, usually end up 5 or 6 songs below or above it. Swiping left or right is not really and issue for me I would call it 80% accurate. After watching the video for the MTouch 2.0 on the M5S I am hoping Shanling can incorporate some of the features to the M0. Especially the vertical volume slider with the + and - volume icons as I find the volume slider on the M0 useless and way to touchy.
My $1500 AK120 II has started to develop this issue. It jumps 5-10 clicks (max-150), which can be annoying with iems getting too loud. It was mostly used as transport for my HUGO and the volume wheel was used sparingly since purchase. These mechanical wheels while they look cool are bound to crap out. See if you can get your unit swapped via warranty.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #3,649 of 6,413
My $1500 AK120 II has started to develop this issue. It jumps 5-10 clicks (max-150), which can be annoying with iems getting too loud. It was mostly used as transport for my HUGO and the volume wheel was used sparingly since purchase. These mechanical wheels while they look cool are bound to crap out. See if you can get your unit swapped via warranty.

I can try that but I was hoping Shanling could do something to improve it via firmware. I have several months left in the warranty and I want to see what else Shanling does with firmware in the future. Once I see that then I will know if this will be a transitional DAP or a keeper longer term. If I decide to upgrade to something else then not to worried about it. Plus if replaygain is introduced then volume changes would be minimal in the future and less of a problem and maybe the M0 gets the vertical volume slider with + and - like the M5S and will only need the scroll wheel to turn the unit on. Since warranty is handled by the seller which fairly close to me then returning it for warranty claim should be pretty easy. I think others have reported the same problem so no guarantee a replacement wouldn't have the same issue.

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #3,650 of 6,413
Tried out the Shanling M0 on my 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro closed-back headphones. For the most part, this is a VERY impressive little amp+DAC/DAP (I only used it as an amp/DAC)! In High Gain mode, it got pretty loud, and the sound quality seemed to match up with my LG V30's Quad DAC (which uses the same Sabre DAC as well). Ease of use was pretty good as well on the M0. Love the design and look of this device as well!

I however won't be keeping it though as on some of my more quieter Hi-Res albums, even at 100%, it doesn't quite get loud enough for me, though I'll admit it's pretty close! I will say though that considering how loud it does get, for most people, it will be more than sufficient. My 250-ohm 1770 is not an easy headphone to drive (even if it is closed-back vs. open-back), so I will still say while I'm returning it, I am still doing so as a fan of Shanling and the M0!

Thank you all for all your info, stories, and advice!

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #3,651 of 6,413
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #3,652 of 6,413
Can anyone in here rank the following 3 devices in terms of MAX headphone output/loudness please?

Shanling M0: Info

Ampio G1: Info (Additional info: Output power is 90mW at 16 ohms, 70mW at 32 ohms, 20mW at 160 ohms and 10mW at 320 ohms.)

iFi xDSD: Info

I don't really understand how to figure all that stuff out (even with an impedance calculator), so I greatly appreciate anyone who can.

Thanks!!

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #3,653 of 6,413
Can anyone in here rank the following 3 devices in terms of MAX headphone output/loudness please?

Shanling M0: Info

Ampio G1: Info (Additional info: Output power is 90mW at 16 ohms, 70mW at 32 ohms, 20mW at 160 ohms and 10mW at 320 ohms.)

iFi xDSD: Info

I don't really understand how to figure all that stuff out (even with an impedance calculator), so I greatly appreciate anyone who can.

Thanks!!

xDSD
M0
Ampio

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #3,654 of 6,413
xDSD
M0
Ampio

F! That's how I was interpreting the info too. I was HOPING since the M0 was was cheaper the G1 would be louder. That's crazy that the M0 is louder at less than half the cost and it's smaller too!!

The M0 got loud for me in High Gain as I'd mentioned a couple posts ago, but I still need a bit more. The $250 Ampio G1 isn't loud enough, and the iFi xDSD is WAY loud but it's also $399 (AND doesn't have LDAC, yet!) (Note: One person on Head-Fi told me the xDSD sounds better with aptX than any other device below it in price does with LDAC. But I still want LDAC on it!!!)

damn!!! lol

Thanks btw. You da MAN, Theo!! :L3000: lol

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #3,655 of 6,413
If you cannot reproduce this on any of your m0, does that mean I should return it?

If you find it problematic, yes, please reach out to your seller.

So i got playlist working (yay), does anybody hpw to make lirics work. Does it accept lrc lyrics?

You need matching LRC file and then on now playing screen, one click to bring up playback controls and swipe to third screen. It's included in Advanced user manual.

When do you correspond to the replay gain?

Also, I would like to have the function to set the dial for each screen.
For example, it is used for scrolling on the list screen and for volume control on the playback screen.

Reply gain is planned in update.

We don't have any plans to asset wheel to any other functions.

I can try that but I was hoping Shanling could do something to improve it via firmware. I have several months left in the warranty and I want to see what else Shanling does with firmware in the future. Once I see that then I will know if this will be a transitional DAP or a keeper longer term. If I decide to upgrade to something else then not to worried about it. Plus if replaygain is introduced then volume changes would be minimal in the future and less of a problem and maybe the M0 gets the vertical volume slider with + and - like the M5S and will only need the scroll wheel to turn the unit on. Since warranty is handled by the seller which fairly close to me then returning it for warranty claim should be pretty easy. I think others have reported the same problem so no guarantee a replacement wouldn't have the same issue.

Can I get response, if other users are having similar problem with wheel? IT was sometimes present on older generation of players, but not on M0.

Also, if there is such problem with wheel, it's caused by the wheel mechanism, not software.

I have been using Shanling M0 for the last few weeks and recently I tried using the Audio out interface with Audeze Mobius(Through USB C), But unfortunately could get it to work.
I am pretty sure, I am doing something wrong. Can someone help me with this

Update :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-es9218p-fw-2-1.874859/page-161#post-14405627

Looks like USB C out was not tested.. Sorry for the post

On side of M0, with USB C headphones, there is nothing to set. Either the headphones are willing to communicate and don't need too much from USB port, then M0 works just fine, or they ask for some special drivers and too much power, neither which can M0 do.

I will try Mobius on upcoming Canjam Shanghai. I don't know much about them, like if they advertise compatibility with portable devices(that would tell us about demands on power) and how exactly is it set up with all their special functions.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #3,656 of 6,413
Can I get response, if other users are having similar problem with wheel? IT was sometimes present on older generation of players, but not on M0.

Yes, it sometimes is jumpy.

Changing the volume in one direction makes it jump in the other direction. It feels like a hardware problem but perhaps software can compensate.

To me it is not a big problem, I rarely change the volume and just use the button to turn it on/off.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #3,657 of 6,413
Hey, @Shanling
It seems that another company has found a solution for your one-button music controls for quite a while:

Music-Control.png

If they can do it for earphones, I'm sure you can do it for your DAP! :ksc75smile:
dude did you ever stop to think that this device has no screen therefore you don't need to bring it online? The M0 has one, and needs to have a button sequence to turn it on....

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,658 of 6,413
So, I love this little DAP, made an account on here just so I could join in the discussions.

With playlist support in 2.2, so far I've only been able to access my playlists through the folder menu. Is it possible, or is there any plan in the future, to be able to access playlists via the Playlist menu?

My second question/comment, is that the M0 tends to freeze up VERY often if I'm just playing my entire library on random (25,000+ tracks), but if I limit the overall random selection to, say, genre, or artist, it never really happens. I'm guessing it has to do with the sheer number of files being subjected to "random," but it would be nice to have some sort of confirmation...

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #3,659 of 6,413
You should all see the Mtouch OS 2.0 video for the M5S. Hope to see it soon in the M0, at that price with that kind of software M0 would be the GOAT of DAPs.

They can do it by cutting the wifi scroll bar, showing 3 albums per page like Ipod Nano 6th gen instead of the 7 of the M5s and putting the now playing in a normal icon instead of that flourish with the album cover and all. Also, remember M0 screen is just about half of the M5s, Ipod nano 6th had the option to display 1 big icon in the menu or 4 small ones.

To me Mtouch 2.0 seems so much more better and refined so I hope we will see it the M0.

@Shanling can you tell us if this version of Mtouch will see light in the M0 with the necessary changes due to screen size? For me it seems like the perfect sorfware in a DAC: fast, comfortable and good looking.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #3,660 of 6,413
So, I love this little DAP, made an account on here just so I could join in the discussions.

With playlist support in 2.2, so far I've only been able to access my playlists through the folder menu. Is it possible, or is there any plan in the future, to be able to access playlists via the Playlist menu?

My second question/comment, is that the M0 tends to freeze up VERY often if I'm just playing my entire library on random (25,000+ tracks), but if I limit the overall random selection to, say, genre, or artist, it never really happens. I'm guessing it has to do with the sheer number of files being subjected to "random," but it would be nice to have some sort of confirmation...
Create a new empty playlist and click the 3button to the playlist found in the folders and add it to the empty one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back