Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #3,571 of 6,413
@Shanling Just did the update and first thing first, the updates work brilliant and the triple click and BT controls are a welcome sight. Not encountered any bugs or issues so far and operations on the M0 are very smooth!

However, i did notice that on Hi-res songs, the 'HR' logo has vanished! Is that a bug or its done on purpose? All my 24-bit FLAC and DSD files on playback no more have the HR logo showing up. Does this also mean that its possible to EQ Hi-Res files now?

HR logo works fine on my files, both FLAC and DSD.

LOL
so much waiting and the problem 5 is not solved
The problem exist not on all albums but only on the one that are in one file and a cue sheet (the id tags are correct)
the songs listed in alphabetical order and not by their track number
If i browse via "Folders" there is no problem
For me it is big problem as i am album listener

You will do something about that or no?

Can you please send me your file showing this problem?
Fix in this firmware was mainly for the albums where songs 2/3.4/5.6/7, etc were switched.

I am still getting the HR logo. But maybe only on higher quality files. No longer on 24bit/48kHz files which I think it showed it on before. It does not show bit/sampling rate instead of the HR logo.

We changed this, since 24/48 file isn't fully matching the definition of the Hi-Res file(above 40kHz frequency range)

I might have missed it. But when m0 is laid flat on a desk, touch screen does not respond. Is that normal?

You are second to report such problem, yet we are unable to reproduce it on any unit we have here.

Hi Shanling (or anyone reading this),

Is there a way to update the M0 WITHOUT using a MicroSD card?? Can I just connect it to my PC and update it that way?? Please explain how if yes.

Thank you!!

No, you need mSD card.

Not custom eq .
Despite the promises.
What a desappointment...
I wanted to buy the M5S.
Now, I hesitate.

Shanling, a M0S planned ?

Why plans for M0s?? M0 was released just few months ago and there is nothing on hardware side that could be truly improved.

EQ is working on M5s and is coming to M0. With which firmware update? Not sure yet.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #3,572 of 6,413
To the firmware download, I assumed winrar is one of the basic programs on any Windows Pc. But in first post you can now find link directly for the update file.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #3,573 of 6,413
Shanling M0 Firmware 2.2 notes

Changes and fixes:

3. Added support of external m3u and m3u8 playlists

A little disappointed that access to the playlists are through the folders section, and towards the end. I use playlists that use different folders rather than within one folder. There a way in the future to have these m3u8 playlists have their own section in the My Music area? Let me know if I'm not doing it correctly though.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #3,575 of 6,413
Thanks for the update, any word of bookmarks, .m4a or m4b support?
@Shanling - still (im)patiently waiting for proper audiobook / podcast support (save last position, x1.10 / x1.25 / x1.5 playback speeds, skip 15 or 30 seconds button)...

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,576 of 6,413
I'd be happy with the cue/"play once" option for stopping after each song plays. I hear it works well for audiobooks as well. Then I could use this thing for work too. Teach group fitness on the side, and it's annoying to run to the player after every track to stop it. So I still need to use my phone when I'd prefer not to. Like I could on my Cowon and Creative players. JetAudio app has that feature too.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #3,577 of 6,413
I might have missed it. But when m0 is laid flat on a desk, touch screen does not respond. Is that normal?
i'm experiencing the same issue. when i plug in earphones i don't have this issue. only when nothing is connected to it and using bluetooth. even without using bluetooth... when it's flat on a table the touchscreen is inoperable.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #3,579 of 6,413
From my experience, signal of Bluetooth likes when there are objects around you, so it can reflect from them to the headphones. You will never have problem with BT signal in subway for example, but open field is very different story. So as you walk, the signal can get weaker for a moment, then the sound "catch Up", which is what you call the "fast forward" glitch.

If you have the screen facing your body, signal of BT will be significantly weaker and it will results in more skipping in played files.

Alphabet scrolling is included in "My Music" submenu.
It's about finely tuning the system, we are still working on it and hoping to get it better. We did huge jump from first beta, so I hope we can push it much further.
If you truly master Morse Code, secret code will reveal hidden water fountain in M0.

To sum it up how M0 can work:

mSD card in M0 -> Wired or Bluetooth headphones or external USB DAC
Phone over BT -> M0 -> Wired headphones
Computer over USB cable -> M0 -> Wired headphones

Two things we want to implement in future:

Phone over BT -> M0 -> external USB DAC
Computer over USB cable -> M0 -> Bluetooth headphones

What we will never do:

Phone over BT -> M0 -> Bluetooth headphones
Because this makes no sense(signal is affected by the codec used by phone, no matter what will then M0 use)

Just one note, M0 does 80mW into 32Ohm, Fiio X1 only do 70 mW into 32Ohm. So on paper the M0 should be slightly more powerful.

We have distributors, with standard stores, in most countries in Europe, North America and Asia. So our customers don't need to deal with some random Chinese sellers or the Amazon.

This is ... Unique. Does it show only when using BT headphones? Or if you put M0 on table, without inserted headphones, but playing, will it also refuse to react?

We have some plans to change the UI on M0 based on feedback, but album art in browsing wasn't really planned for now. Will see.

Go to System -> Idle and turn on Auto-shutdown instead of Standby.

i'm experiencing the same issue. when i plug in earphones i don't have this issue. only when nothing is connected to it and using bluetooth. even without using bluetooth... when it's flat on a table the touchscreen is inoperable.

For those who are having this apparent issue, i tried to replicate this issue and I think I might sort of get what you're saying. However, I found that (using my index finger for interacting with the display), if I hold the M0 steady between my thumb and ring finger then the touch responsiveness is normal.
This leads me to believe that maybe the issue is that, because the M0 is so light, when you're trying to swipe on the display the entire unit is moving which lessens the force you're applying on the display and so it's not registering the inputs correctly.

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #3,580 of 6,413
Firmware v2.2 here you go!

Google drive download

Shanling M0 Firmware 2.2 notes

Changes and fixes:

1. Added Triple click shortcut, available in System settings
2. Added playback controls when using M0 in Bluetooth receiver mode, including double and triple click shortcuts
3. Added support of external m3u and m3u8 playlists
4. Added “Recently added” list in “My Music”
5. Fixed bug causing wrong song order in “My Music” browsing
6. Improved USB digital output

How to update:

1. Make sure that M0 is fully charged.
2. Unzip the file and copy “update.bin” file into root folder of micro SD card.
Note: If your M0 is on firmware 1.0 or 1.5, card must be formatted to FAT32. For update from firmware 2.0 and higher, you can use all cards.
3. Choose “System Update”in system settings and follow the displayed instructions. Wait until system restarts.
4. Check in settings “About M0” to be sure new firmware was installed.

Okey so these are clearly the main changes to firmware for firmware 2.2, are there any minor changes that you have not listed here? I ask for several reasons,

1. You acknowledged early on in this thread that the accuracy of the touchscreen needed to be improved. His this firmware addressed that at all?

2. My greatest issue with the M0 is that neither method of changing the volume works well at all to me. The scroll wheel often increases the volume when you try to turn the wheel down and the volume slider is to small and to sensitive and without replaygain still, changing volume will continue to be a pain. Has the scroll wheel accuracy been improved at all?

3. You mentioned you had a personal list of about 30 things mostly minor you hoped would be addressed. Have any of the been addressed and can you tell us which ones?

I hope to install the firmware update sometime this week so any additional info you can give on firmware update 2.2 would be appreciated. Considering the delay I was expecting to see more stuff addressed in this firmware update so are there some changes you have not listed?

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #3,581 of 6,413

Can you please try to take short video showing such problem?

I tried this but still a single click wake up the device. I updated to the new FW2.2 but it is still the same. Am I missing something?

Wait, it wake sup on single click while you are playing files? Or you pause playback, leave it sitting for X minutes and then you still can wake it up on single click?

Okey so these are clearly the main changes to firmware for firmware 2.2, are there any minor changes that you have not listed here? I ask for several reasons,

Yes, there are always some other minor changes done to firmware update. I don't have the full list.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #3,582 of 6,413
Oct 16, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #3,583 of 6,413
[QUOTE="Shanling, post: 14541567, member: 422159"

Wait, it wake sup on single click while you are playing files? Or you pause playback, leave it sitting for X minutes and then you still can wake it up on single click?

.[/QUOTE]

when playing. It will wake up on single click. I'm looking for a way that I will not be able to accidentally switch tracks. Sort of like "HOLD" button in other dap. Currently there are no hold button. So when I am using the M0 and put it in my pocket I frequently change the track because the touchscreen is activated by a single click.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #3,584 of 6,413
To the firmware download, I assumed winrar is one of the basic programs on any Windows Pc. But in first post you can now find link directly for the update file.

No actually zip is built into Windows. You have to get a third party app for Rar. You assumed incorrectly.

One thing to point out to everyone is to rebuild your database.

The previous firmwares database build does not work with this firmware.

It sorts out track sorting errors of previous firmwares

@zato23 rebuild your database

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #3,585 of 6,413
You also have Apple Mac users as well as windows pc. Rar file can be done on a mac but needs a program downloading. A zip file can be be unzipped natively on a mac. Maybe zip is more universal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back