Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Mar 24, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #91 of 6,413
@Shanling - please provide some more info (especially price an ETA). HiBy R3 kickstarter starts in 3 or 4 days, and some of us need to make a decision... :wink:
Exactly the same dilemma for me!
Both device are probably very different and yet very good candidate for 2018.

R3 seems perfect with wifi and Airplay and finally a solid wireless connection for iOS users.
I'm 90% sure the M0 won't pair very well with iOS but the form factor of the Shanling is just fascinating.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #92 of 6,413
Exactly the same dilemma for me!
Both device are probably very different and yet very good candidate for 2018.

R3 seems perfect with wifi and Airplay and finally a solid wireless connection for iOS users.
I'm 90% sure the M0 won't pair very well with iOS but the form factor of the Shanling is just fascinating.
Totally agree with your comparison. Yes - M0 form factor is VERY appealing, and so is the price someone mentioned in the previous page (approx. $100)...
ANY comparison at CanJam between the R3 and M0 would be HIGHLY appreciated guys!! :)

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #93 of 6,413
A proper wee DAP from a reputable company, nice!
+1 hoping for podcast/bookmarking support.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #96 of 6,413
was trying it today at CanJam singapore. what a tiny device. Still delivers 80mW power and has an output impedance of 0.7 Ohms.
AptX still only sending there is no hardware solution to deliver sending and receiving and not enough space in the device for putting in 2 bluetooth chips.
Toucscreen works surprisingly great for such a small screen. Sound was very clear to me, closer to M3s than to M2s I would say.

And it is really tiny, here is a comparison to M2s and M1

20180325_113153.jpg

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #97 of 6,413
was trying it today at CanJam singapore. what a tiny device. Still delivers 80mW power and has an output impedance of 0.7 Ohms.
AptX still only sending there is no hardware solution to deliver sending and receiving and not enough space in the device for putting in 2 bluetooth chips.
Toucscreen works surprisingly great for such a small screen. Sound was very clear to me, closer to M3s than to M2s I would say.

So receiving is SBC and sending is the rest of the good stuff?

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #98 of 6,413

how is the UI ? Very different from M1/M2s/M3s or are there similiarities ? I am very curious about that because it now has a touchscreen.

Mar 25, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #99 of 6,413
It's quite different. The M0 firmware comes directly from shanling and not from HiBy. So they took into account the small screen size and optimized everyhting for it. You can
go through everything basically just by using your thumb. No major flaws detected, I think everything is there. Although I did not spent too much time with it.
Had a very nice talk with the Shanling rep there.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #100 of 6,413
@Shanling any reason you're not releasing the official specs? (and confirm $99 price and release date?)
I gather from people's posts that it has a single ended 3.5mm out with 0.7ohm impedance and 80mW (into what load?!) power.
I assume the following (speculation here):
- single microSD card slot
- no built-in storage
- no digital inputs
- no WiFi / Tidal / DLNA
- no podcast / audiobook support (REALLY hope I am wrong here)
- "long battery life": I would guess that translates to 10-12 hours?

Can anyone from Shanling or CanJam Singapore shed some more light here?

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #102 of 6,413
@Shanling
- no podcast / audiobook support (REALLY hope I am wrong here)

Can anyone from Shanling or CanJam Singapore shed some more light here?

On the wish list for a future firmware update according to Shanling when I asked further back in this thread. Really hope it does get added as it would be an almost guaranteed purchase from me.

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #103 of 6,413

No Bluetooth input (at least SBC) could be an annoying deal breaker for me.

Considering the small size of the device and the obvious on-the-go usage, it have to pair nicely with smartphones for video, youtube, streaming, and stuff...

Bluetooth output is great, yes. Maybe at the gym it’s really important, but most of the time any smartphone is enough for Bluetooth headphones.
Currently, most of us want to go wireless with our current wired headphone/iem.

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #104 of 6,413
No Bluetooth input (at least SBC) could be an annoying deal breaker for me.

Considering the small size of the device and the obvious on-the-go usage, it have to pair nicely with smartphones for video, youtube, streaming, and stuff...

Bluetooth output is great, yes. Maybe at the gym it’s really important, but most of the time any smartphone is enough for Bluetooth headphones.
Currently, most of us want to go wireless with our current wired headphone/iem.

If the M0 does turn out to be $99, then for the same price, you should buy the Radsone EarStudio ES100 Bluetooth (aptX HD) Receiver & Headphone Amplifier (3.5mm TRS & 2.5mm TRRS). It's on Amazon.

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #105 of 6,413
If the M0 does turn out to be $99, then for the same price, you should buy the Radsone EarStudio ES100 Bluetooth (aptX HD) Receiver & Headphone Amplifier (3.5mm TRS & 2.5mm TRRS). It's on Amazon.

I'm definitely interested by the ES100 and also futur BTR3 and BTR5 from Fiio.
But the advantage of the M0 would be to have both a Bluetooth receiver + a real DAP for lossless and HDaudio built-in into a single device.
Best of both world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back