Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 2, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #2,956 of 6,413
No no, 2 amps can have the exact same "flatness", but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll sound exactly the same. FR isn't the be all and end all of measurements. All 3 of the tube settings on the iTube2 give the exact same frequency response, but each one does have its own character (objectively it's obviously not a "night and day" difference as some may claim)

we're getting a bit off-topic for this thread, so if you wanna explore this further, head on over to https://www.youtube.com/user/samma3afans/videos and check out the follow up vid i did for the iTube2, there's I've got a few sound demos to compare the sounds (and no, my funky sound card wasn't used for this lol)
I'm not saying there aren't other important characteristics of a DAP (THD+N, timing/phase, IMD, RFI, etc.), but FR is the be all and end all if we're talking about brightness of a sound signature. A FR sweep would trigger harmonics in the exact same way if the final output was to your ears rather than to the sound card.

I suspect a large part of any perceived differences in FR are attributable to 1) change in headphone FR with changing z-out 2) reviewer necessity - what else are we going to write about in our reviews if they all sound the same? :wink:

As you say, we're probably getting OT and boring most other people on this thread, so I'll drop it here and maybe we can continue via pm?

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #2,958 of 6,413
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or otherwise addressed, but numerous people have mentioned that the M0 has a bright sound. I can confirm this to be true and have taken some frequency response measurements. As we can see from the below graph, the M0 unfortunately does not have a flat response. I don't know if this is something that @Shanling can correct within a firmware update, but if it is possible, then I really hope they do fix it.

Please try to look into your system, because this is definitely not how our measurements comes out.
Csglinux's measurements also shows no such problem.

Is there a way to make the M0 play music and send it over bluetooth such that an Android phone is able to pick it up and play it over it's speakers?

M0 can send music to any device set up to work as BT reciever/headphones/speakers. So this is more question up to your phone possibilities.

I updated the m0 firmware to 2.1, the update looks just fine but now the m0 stuck at the "Shanling" page. @Shanling, what should I do now?

On the root directory of the microsd now it has these files and directories:
firmware_v0.info
firmware_v0.tar.gz
fsrecovery
recovery-update
update.bin

edit:
- Resetting through the pin doesn't work.
- The m0 can be turn on and off normally through the power switch (hold 3 seconds)
- When switched off, plugin the m0 can bring it on, but nothing get pass the Shanling splash screen.

Is there anything that can be used for emergency force flash?

Please contact your seller and ask him for replacement unit. Neither me or my chinese colleague saw such problem.

Can you tell me, what firmware were you using before updating?

Quick question about bluetooth. Is it quite quiet? I've had to raise the volume to almost 97 to get a decent level. By comparison I don't have to half the hiby r6 anywhere near that level to get a decent sound on the same set of phones? Just afraid of plugging in a pair of iems after using bluetooth and forgetting to turn it down!

There might be some difference in settings of volume over BT between M0 and your HiBy.
M0 is set up this way, so it can work better with BT earphones with no volume controls(such as Earpods). For other BT headphones, recommended is to max volume and use volume controls on your headphones.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #2,959 of 6,413
Yes - mine sounds fine. I've come across people freaking out at Spek (a Spectrograph app) graphs who don't know what they are looking at.

For instance 'why is that track shelved at 16khz! It must be ****!' (vinyl rip, of course it's shelved? Many classics are similarly shelved) or 'this acapella/piano track doesn't have the full range'. (!!! it wouldn't, cos it's a frequency graph and if the source doesn't have those frequencies, they won't show - unless it's noisy as feck). Err....

Goes to show you, a little information and lack of knowledge can be dangerous.

As far as I am concerned graphs and measurements should be left to professional review sites to post and kept off of forums like this. Nothing worse than people who aren't experts posting stuff like this and creating concerns where none should exist. If you guys wanna start posting graphs then you should start a separate thread and do it there.

Moderators on other threads have posted warnings about posting user generated graphs for this very reason

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #2,960 of 6,413
Quick question about bluetooth. Is it quite quiet? I've had to raise the volume to almost 97 to get a decent level. By comparison I don't have to half the hiby r6 anywhere near that level to get a decent sound on the same set of phones? Just afraid of plugging in a pair of iems after using bluetooth and forgetting to turn it down!
Just swipe up on your 1000xm2 right side of headphones. I never change volume on m0 while using same headset. Its so easy to learn and use swipes, your m0 screen will always be off that increases its battery life.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #2,962 of 6,413
There might be some difference in settings of volume over BT between M0 and your HiBy.

Output options
• PO – Headphone output, volume of M0 is controlled by volume wheel. Use this setting when connecting headphones directly to M0.
• LO – Line output, volume of M0 is set to maximum, volume wheel has no effect. Use this setting when connecting other audio components with independent volume control to M0, such as preamplifiers, active speakers and others.

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,965 of 6,413
Is there a way to set that up for most Android devices? Does it need extra programs on the phone?
Way off topic for this thread. There are Android threads.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,966 of 6,413
So been using this today at work and very impressed with it. Just a couple of things stick out for me. 1) automatic scrolling of folder names once selected. I know you can make them scroll right once by swiping on them, but would be nice for it to be automatic. 2) Audiobooks, but this has been done to death recently (partly my fault for which I apologise), so we'll leave it there. Fix those two and for me this could be a daily driver for work use. Small, discrete, easy to use decent sounding (hey at work you ain't going to want absolute fidelity are you) what's not to like?

Had been pairing it with pair of sennheiser hd25-II's which may not be the ideal match. The slightly bright m0 with the treble happy senns, but sounded good enough. My ideal match would be a pair of Custom Art Fibae 2's and the M0. Should be good, but sadly I'm on an iem ban atm as my ears need sorting out for wax (yuck), so that means a fortnight with no iems at all :frowning2:

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #2,968 of 6,413
Alright fellas, either I'm missing something here or I'm just a dunce. Picked this lil feller up this week and put 50gb worth of flac files on it. File structure is what I am assuming is once hooked to PC....(drive letter for M0), a media go folder (not sure if this is the root or not),-artist folder-album folder-flac file,(including album art in each). I simply want to throw a few flacs to a playlist. Am I to go through the M0's UI to do this(which is a pain), or can I simply throw folders into "some other" folder and it recognize them automatically? I have not use any .cue before. Any help would appreciated. If there's some software that eases the pain, by all means let me know.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #2,969 of 6,413
Alright fellas, either I'm missing something here or I'm just a dunce. Picked this lil feller up this week and put 50gb worth of flac files on it. File structure is what I am assuming is once hooked to PC....(drive letter for M0), a media go folder (not sure if this is the root or not),-artist folder-album folder-flac file,(including album art in each). I simply want to throw a few flacs to a playlist. Am I to go through the M0's UI to do this(which is a pain), or can I simply throw folders into "some other" folder and it recognize them automatically? I have not use any .cue before. Any help would appreciated. If there's some software that eases the pain, by all means let me know.
Once you update the storage it will cache the tags from your songs and organize them accordingly in Music menu which includes Songs, Artists, Albums, and other sub-menus. Those with missing tags are ignored with missing values, ie a track with title and artist but without album tag may appear with its title in Song menu and with its artist name in Artist menu, but appear in ‘Unknown artists’ in Artists menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back