Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #4,711 of 6,413
I just find it funny when people make threats. If you don't do X I'm buying something else. If I don't see this feature I'm selling my M0 and moving on.

Good. Go, split. Nobody will miss you or the negative threatening posts. There was no defined time line for any feature. You don't buy a product based on future improvements as there are no guarantees. And you bought into a product with a brand new homegrown OS. Not to mention in the smallest form factor known for a DAP of this level. You honestly just look silly with the threatening posts. So just move on and be done with it already.

I've got one single feature that makes the M0 great and perfect for my use case. I need a cueing feature. I need tracks to stop at the end and the next one to start when I hit play. Multiple mainstream mfg's had it as a basic feature. I have it on my android apps and am unfortunately stuck using my phone for this use. I would love to see it on the M0, and it goes hand in hand with audio book support much of the time. It is also not a very difficult feature to implement. Jet audio actually included it in their app after I bugged them for a few months because their cowon players had it built in.

Will it be the end of the world if I don't get it? No. It just makes the M0 a workout only player and for when I travel. I'll wish it was more but I'm not going to puff my internet chest and bravado at an attempt to make it happen. Not above the slight passive aggressive message though. :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #4,713 of 6,413
Glad I could draw out a little positivity. I might have a low post count but I've been messing with DAPs for around 20 years now. When did people start buying them with potential features in mind? I hope to see more updates as well, but that's gravy.

Unfortunately there is some truth to people's frustrations. Up until about 2 years ago the manufacturers would happily advertise various features and then when people got the product it turns out that some features weren't implemented properly.
Nowadays the manufacturers tend to be a little more forthcoming by saying that certain features will be added in future updates.

It's just frustrating and a bit of a slap in the face when someone pays money for a product that, when they get it, is riddles with software issues that really should have been sorted out before asking someone to part with their cash for that product. Also, when promised future features are either never added, or the manufacturer starts working on other projects and keep delaying the implementation of said features....to me that's just a very unethical way of treating customers (and people in general).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #4,714 of 6,413
Yeah that sucks. What advertised feature is the M0 missing?

I wish I'd realized there was USB DAC latency.. I hadn't really conceived of that as a thing, but I could've read up more and known going in. It keeps it from being able to leave my Dragonfly at the office :) I will sometimes watch a video with synchronization tweaked on VLC, but of course that's not always practical.

If they do deliver on the things on their worklist, I'll be able to recommend this for more people than I do. The product and company's rep would be helped. They know all this. We'll see what they do. Most of us here already bought in. To a product, not some kind of club.

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4,715 of 6,413
Unfortunately there is some truth to people's frustrations. Up until about 2 years ago the manufacturers would happily advertise various features and then when people got the product it turns out that some features weren't implemented properly.
Nowadays the manufacturers tend to be a little more forthcoming by saying that certain features will be added in future updates.

It's just frustrating and a bit of a slap in the face when someone pays money for a product that, when they get it, is riddles with software issues that really should have been sorted out before asking someone to part with their cash for that product. Also, when promised future features are either never added, or the manufacturer starts working on other projects and keep delaying the implementation of said features....to me that's just a very unethical way of treating customers (and people in general).
And do you believe that's the case here? Because last I checked, there were no defined timeliness for any features. No specific feature was promised here by a certain date. His words were chosen carefully about what was being worked on, looked into and so on. Heck, we still have no time line for the phone app.

So while your statement might hold some truth, it doesn't hold up here unless I missed something. And to take out the frustrations of other products here isnt necessarily right.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #4,716 of 6,413

I wish I'd realized there was USB DAC latency.. I hadn't really conceived of that as a thing, but I could've read up more and known going in. It keeps it from being able to leave my Dragonfly at the office :) I will sometimes watch a video with synchronization tweaked on VLC, but of course that's not always practical.

If they do deliver on the things on their worklist, I'll be able to recommend this for more people than I do. The product and company's rep would be helped. They know all this. We'll see what they do. Most of us here already bought in. To a product, not some kind of club.
Dumb question, but is there a real audio benefit for video watching? Or is it just the better amp to drive your cans over whatever devices you're using?

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #4,718 of 6,413

And do you believe that's the case here? Because last I checked, there were no defined timeliness for any features. No specific feature was promised here by a certain date. His words were chosen carefully about what was being worked on, looked into and so on. Heck, we still have no time line for the phone app.

So while your statement might hold some truth, it doesn't hold up here unless I missed something. And to take out the frustrations of other products here isnt necessarily right.

Oh no no no no, I don't mean that this applies to Shanling specifically, but rather generally. In fact, Shanling is actually probably the most open and honest about how they go about things. I like them, quite a lot.

What I said actually refers more directly to the likes of FiiO.

But anyways, I just wanted to weigh in some context as to why certain people might feel a need to vent their frustrations or disappointments.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #4,719 of 6,413
Far, far better than the audio from my Acer laptop!
Good to know if the latency ever gets fixed. Never thought to do the DAC thing, but I was generally using my BT headphones to listen to video. I use the the Sony ANC cans when I'm traveling,and I don't think there's aptX or LDAC support on my pixelbook or Spectre. Will have to look.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #4,720 of 6,413
Oh no no no no, I don't mean that this applies to Shanling specifically, but rather generally. In fact, Shanling is actually probably the most open and honest about how they go about things. I like them, quite a lot.

What I said actually refers more directly to the likes of FiiO.

But anyways, I just wanted to weigh in some context as to why certain people might feel a need to vent their frustrations or disappointments.
Gotcha. I've found my purchases lately for certain things gets based on the accessibility of the mfg. It's actually steered some crowd funding purchases as well where the campaigner is active on Telegram or Whatsapp and fields questions and gives updates. One do the reasons why I bought the M1 and now the M0.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #4,721 of 6,413
Good to know if the latency ever gets fixed. Never thought to do the DAC thing, but I was generally using my BT headphones to listen to video. I use the the Sony ANC cans when I'm traveling,and I don't think there's aptX or LDAC support on my pixelbook or Spectre. Will have to look.

Never really thought to do the M0 BT thing. Reminds me to tinker more with my shaky laptop BT... never know.

Anyone ever watch video on something else with the M0 as BT receiver? I did demo it once from a better computer, watching Netflix, and I think there was some lag. Not as much as USB but enough to be annoying when watching a movie.

ETA: I really have no way of knowing if the M0 was responsible for lag in my demo. I don't mess with BT much in general.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #4,722 of 6,413
And do you believe that's the case here? Because last I checked, there were no defined timeliness for any features.

You are right, I could not name one promised feature that we did not get.

However, by replying that certain feature requests were relayed to the development team, one could be forgiven for getting expectations.

Some feature requests might be hard given the form factor but some (i.e. replaygain) seems quite doable and with a clear benefit (especially when shuffling over multiple albums).

For me the M0 replaces a series of Sansa devices and the M0 sounds so much better.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4,723 of 6,413
However, by replying that certain feature requests were relayed to the development team, one could be forgiven for getting expectations..

You can see why other manufacturers keep quiet don't you, or don't even mention possible new features? They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. People whine if they get news about upcoming features, and whine if they don't - it's a totally thankless task.

Which is why I've been firmly on the side of not kicking the golden goose and being patient and happy when updates do happen. Threats do not help anyone, I happily point people towards the door if they want to try and blackmail Shanling (as if one or two disgruntled moaning minnies would affect a whole product development cycle? What sheer arrogance!). I'm being polite here, but I would tell them firmly to go away with a few expletives. No-one wants to read that negativity, and I suspect it's more likely to make people at Shanling LESS likely to work on m0 if they get grief rather than do the changes these grizzling kiddies want. I'd be the same.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,724 of 6,413
I think the M1 had less lag when used as a external DAC. And the interface was more like the M2S. But it was muddier sounding than the M0. Not horrible but why settle for mud when you can get clarity

Shanling has done a great job on firmware on the last three machines I have purchased. The only machine with serious issues was the original M2 but that could have been hardware design related

I do think we tend to ask too much from the lower and mid tier units here. But some of us here seem like they will never be satisfied

My main beef is when key features are promised at intro then never materialize or show up in reduced levels. Units that relied on HiBy were some culprits. The Shanling situation was pretty good with HiBy firmware overall. The Cayin N5ii is a good example of things not going as well as promised. There may be a final cleanup release but I have my doubts. So on this score Shanling scores the win. I kind of gave up on FIIO a while ago for similar reasons.

As was stated above vendors really should only tout stable features when introducing units

As we used to say at HP “no futures “

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #4,725 of 6,413
Glad I could draw out a little positivity. I might have a low post count but I've been messing with DAPs for around 20 years now. When did people start buying them with potential features in mind? I hope to see more updates as well, but that's gravy.

True enough but some features are added after release that were suppose to be there. Also, if you don't point out features you want then they won't get added if the manufacturer doesn't know people want them. We aren't talking about esoteric features but features that are available on competing products in the same price range like replaygain. To my knowledge Shanling never said they couldn't add this feature. If they had I would never have bought the product or returned shortly after purchase. I kind of thought part of the reason for these threads is so buyers can express their feelings about the product not just positive but negative stuff as well.

Also the M5S is on version two of the MTouch OS so it has been around long enough to know if these features can or can't be added.

We compare products from other manufacturers on these threads all the time. So telling Shanling why you aren't happy with the product can also be constructive. Maybe in the future these features will be there when the product gets released and we won't have to play the waiting game. Just because you don't feel these features aren't needed to make the product more functional doesn't mean others don't. Nothing motivates manufacturers to change than losing sales to competitors and why it is happening.

If manufacturers released finished products instead of the wait and see game we would know before buying it if it will meet our needs. Not live with the products for months and months wondering about if or when it will be added.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back