Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Dec 16, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #227 of 1,112
On the software side. Is it possible to add the option via firmware to keep the playback point in memory when you power off the unit? It seems to default back to the first folder when you restart?

Will check on this.

iirc the new ak4499ex is a multibit/deltasigma dac using 7 bits, is that true? @Shanling

I would recommend to aim your question at the AKM.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 16, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #228 of 1,112
Is it a pretty big step up in sound quality from the m6 ultra to the H7?

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #230 of 1,112
Is this the best streaming device that you have own so far? What other devices have you had and can you help to compare it to H7?
Well, since the H7 is a portable DAC/Amp it probably makes sense to compare it to other devices that are also portable DAC/Amps, right? Of these type of devices, I currently own and listen to:

Dethonray Honey H1, Chord Mojo 2, xDuoo XD05 Plus (w/Burson op amp upgrade), and a Fiio Q5S. In addition I have an L&P W2 dongle that would also fall into this category.

I own some DAPs too that I listen to. These include the A&K SP2000T, HiBy RS6, and HiBy R6 2020.

For reference I primarily listen at home in the early morning via Roon. I like portable gear as it allows me not to disturb other family members and to get up to get another cup of coffee without having to take off my iems or headphones.

The answer to your question (as it really pertains to the sound produced by all of these various portable devices) is there is no best, there is only different. Ultimately it all comes down to personal preferences and what sounds the best to you. Gear synergy can also make a difference as some iems and headphones sound better (to me) on one DAC/Amp vs. another. There again it’s just a matter of personal preference however. It’s kind of what the hobby/journey is all about.

Some head-fiers are really good at articulating the various differences that they hear in their gear and are able to put what they’ve experienced into writing. I unfortunately don’t have that skill. I chose to pick up an H7 because I seem to prefer AKM DAC chips over ESS Sabre chips and I liked the form factor of the H7. I’ll probably never use the bluetooth or micro SD card features but that’s okay. I will keep the H7 because even lower quality internet radio sounds good on it (to me). When whatever gear I’m listening to makes me forget about bits and sample rates, sibilance, etc. and just enjoy the music than it is the best and worth keeping in my collection.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #231 of 1,112
Well, since the H7 is a portable DAC/Amp it probably makes sense to compare it to other devices that are also portable DAC/Amps, right? Of these type of devices, I currently own and listen to:

Dethonray Honey H1, Chord Mojo 2, xDuoo XD05 Plus (w/Burson op amp upgrade), and a Fiio Q5S. In addition I have an L&P W2 dongle that would also fall into this category.

I own some DAPs too that I listen to. These include the A&K SP2000T, HiBy RS6, and HiBy R6 2020.

For reference I primarily listen at home in the early morning via Roon. I like portable gear as it allows me not to disturb other family members and to get up to get another cup of coffee without having to take off my iems or headphones.

The answer to your question (as it really pertains to the sound produced by all of these various portable devices) is there is no best, there is only different. Ultimately it all comes down to personal preferences and what sounds the best to you. Gear synergy can also make a difference as some iems and headphones sound better (to me) on one DAC/Amp vs. another. There again it’s just a matter of personal preference however. It’s kind of what the hobby/journey is all about.

Some head-fiers are really good at articulating the various differences that they hear in their gear and are able to put what they’ve experienced into writing. I unfortunately don’t have that skill. I chose to pick up an H7 because I seem to prefer AKM DAC chips over ESS Sabre chips and I liked the form factor of the H7. I’ll probably never use the bluetooth or micro SD card features but that’s okay. I will keep the H7 because even lower quality internet radio sounds good on it (to me). When whatever gear I’m listening to makes me forget about bits and sample rates, sibilance, etc. and just enjoy the music than it is the best and worth keeping in my collection.
Can you please still briefly write how the SQ comparable to the SP2000T?

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #235 of 1,112
Thank you. Is SP2000T in tube mode more analog sounding?
🤔, I can’t really comment on that as I equate “analog sounding” to albums being played on a turntable via a hi-fi system. All of my set ups are digital.

What I can say is the different amp modes on the SP2000T (op amp, tube, and various levels of “hybrid”) allow you to dial in the sound to whatever sounds best to you on the particular headphones or iems you happen to be using. The sound changes are subtle (i.e. not dramatically different) to my ears, but I suppose if you have better hearing then the differences could be more noticeable. The unique amp features along with the quad DAC implementation are what set the SP2000T apart in my view. Although I probably prefer AKM DACs to ESS, the quad ESS chips used in the SP2000T sound velvety smooth.

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #236 of 1,112
�, I can’t really comment on that as I equate “analog sounding” to albums being played on a turntable via a hi-fi system. All of my set ups are digital.

What I can say is the different amp modes on the SP2000T (op amp, tube, and various levels of “hybrid”) allow you to dial in the sound to whatever sounds best to you on the particular headphones or iems you happen to be using. The sound changes are subtle (i.e. not dramatically different) to my ears, but I suppose if you have better hearing then the differences could be more noticeable. The unique amp features along with the quad DAC implementation are what set the SP2000T apart in my view. Although I probably prefer AKM DACs to ESS, the quad ESS chips used in the SP2000T sound velvety smooth.
Thank you for the information.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #237 of 1,112
It would be interesting to compare it with Centrance m8 v2 - not to give a simple answer "who's better", but to understand small differences and have another point of reference. Any such devices are not only DACs (AKM vs ESS), but it's also the analog amplification section that important in terms of impact on the sound, and Centrance implemented class A amps, as far I know. But personally I don't like it's form-factor and I skipped it at that time. Form-factor of this H7, in contrary, I like much more, and it would be interesting how the differences in their sounding.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #238 of 1,112
Hello All, would you please help ifi Gryphone vs H7. Not sure which one to buy. Anybody got a chance to compare both , mostly for sound quality...
I just sold my Gryphon and have been running the H7 for several days. The Gryphon is definitely “warmer” but the H7 is more detailed. I felt the iFi had deeper bass plus the advantage of bass enhancement. The H7 seems to drive headphones (using the LCD-XC right now) a bit better and the built in SD card is a killer feature for me and makes it a slam dunk. The low gain on the H7 has no hiss on my IEMs so I don’t miss iEMatch (I am not particularly sensitive to hiss though). Overall if I was choosing it would be the H7 for me.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #239 of 1,112
I just sold my Gryphon and have been running the H7 for several days. The Gryphon is definitely “warmer” but the H7 is more detailed. I felt the iFi had deeper bass plus the advantage of bass enhancement. The H7 seems to drive headphones (using the LCD-XC right now) a bit better and the built in SD card is a killer feature for me and makes it a slam dunk. The low gain on the H7 has no hiss on my IEMs so I don’t miss iEMatch (I am not particularly sensitive to hiss though). Overall if I was choosing it would be the H7 for me.
Thanks for the reply. I think deeper bass (as per my liking) has bought me there towards Gryphon. But thanks a lot for your points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back