SGS Captivate stolen; Need to decide on a new PMP.
May 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CrystalT

500+ Head-Fier
Since my SGS was stolen, I'm out of a player. I was using it both as a dedicated network device with my home theater system, and as a PMP. I'm debating mostly on if I want to either:

A. Buy a used SGS.
B. Buy the SGS 3 without a contract.

The only way to beat the SGS 1 or 3 in sound quality requires a massive cut in features. Dedicated android PMPs typically lack the support, and power of the android phones, and without a contract, the phones basically ARE PMPs.

For the mean time I have a Sansa E260 I can use as a PMP, but it's barely better than my lg optimus in terms of SQ.

any other alternatives?

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 7
You nailed it, also you might want to look for a device that has a beats audio rom, if you want that feature.(pretty sure the SGS does it)
Other then that, i can  also recommend the galaxy note, but that *might* be too big.
Personally i'd get a used SGS1.
Just wait for the prices to drop a little bit more, cause honestly, the price difference nowadays between the SGS2 and the SGS1 is probably going to be miniscule.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 7
My understanding is that beats audio is just an equalization. As an fyi, I am not a Basshead. I prefer a bright, airy signature with great resolution, stereo imaging, and instrument separation.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
My understanding is that beats audio is just an equalization. As an fyi, I am not a Basshead. I prefer a bright, airy signature with great resolution, stereo imaging, and instrument separation.

Yeah, Beats is garbage, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole.  I prefer to carefully tailor EQ when using any EQ at all.  Beats just boosts bass and treble.  I try to use cut if I'm EQ'ing. 

To the OP:
What carrier are you on?  I'll go ahead and assume you're in Arizona and you're on AT&T.  The LTE-enabled SGS3 devices will be Krait. To my knowledge, it isn't known yet whether the Krait S4 version of the SGS3 will even have the Wolfson DAC.  I'm just going to go ahead and assume that it won't and instead, I suspect it will have the DAC that is integrated into the SoC that other Krait phones have (such as the HTC One X.)  From an audio perspective, the HTC One X is inferior to the SGS. 
Since you're an Android guy and aren't afraid of a little phone modding, the SGS and variants are difficult to beat, especially if you like having a fully-featured device.  They can be had for $170 refurb or so on e-Bay. 

Let me ask you something else.  How are you connecting the device up?  If you are jacking in the HP output of the SGS into the line-in on your home theater, I suggest considering an alternative.  The SGS ouput is for headphones, and it has low output impedance designed to drive headphones (in the area of 8ohms, I believe.)  Using the SGS as a line-out driver is undesirable due to impedance mismatching.
What possibilities are you willing to pursue with your setup?  Do you care about portability, or only about your home theater? 

Some iPods are well-rounded device that have both line-out and HP out.  The unclipped line-out voltage is something like 0.9V on the 5th and 5.5th gen models, I believe.  If you're looking for a better-featured device with line-out and good HP out, then the iPhone 4 or 4S are good candidates.  I try to keep my line-out gear and head-phone gear separate, personally.  I try to avoid Apple for various reasons, though.

Perhaps others can chime in on their thoughts of the performance characteristics of the SGS when connected to equipment via line-in. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm on virgin mobile. In fact my signature even says that, LOL. I bought the sgs1 without a simcard specifically to be used as a potable media player. With no service, its battery lasts an upwards of two days.

I'm connecting my sgs to my home theater receiver via 1/8th to RCA to it's many auxiliary inputs. My speakers are low impedence vintage Jensen's, and the receiver has a built-in opamp. The hp out functions as a line-oup when analog is boosted to +2dB.

I'm on a no-contract phone because I'm only an intern, and make no money outside of what my school gives me as a stipened, and what I make from plasma donations, which is about $40 from my school every two weeks, and $30/sm from plasma.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 7
So the voltage is roughly 2V rms on the SGS with + 2DB with Voodoo?
That still leaves an impedance mismatch. Do you know the input impedance of your system or the model number of your system so I can look it up?
Some some systems are designed with the lower input impedance because they are intended to be run from headphone jacks. If it is line level input though, then you should drive it with line level.
Perhaps one of the experts can chime in.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back