SGS 1>Fiio E6>Spiral Ear 2-way Pro??
Nov 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

evanolynuk

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!  I've been out of the headfi scene for a while!  

I'm currently doing most of my listening through my Spiral Ear 2-Way Pro's (unreal by the way... I should post a review), with my Nuforce uDac as my desktop source/amp and my samsung galaxy s 1 as my portable source.  I would kind of like to continue using my galaxy as my primary source for a few reasons:
-the wolfson DAC isnt all that bad
-it's convenient to have my digital music stored on my phone (because I'm regularly syncing with my computer anyway)
-it's convenient to have it as my source because it's always on me anyway

That all being said, the uDAC is fair sized step up from my phone in nearly all aspects sonically.  I'm thinking that using a Fiio E6 would be a good addition to that rig.  It's small, light, and i've read nothing but good things about it.  

What I'm asking is, if you guys think it's worth adding the E6?  Since it does not have a dac, and the galaxy cannot output digital audio anyway, I'm wondering if it would only exacerbate any of the flaws in the galaxy.  Or, are there any other options available for me?  My main stipulations are price and the convenience factor of not lugging along another large dac/amp.  The Fuze has been a good option but it's a pain syncing my music to yet another device. I've heard one though, and I must say it was impressive...

The other reason why an amp is appealing at the moment is because I'll be picking up a set of cans, likely some Superlux's soon and I have a feeling the galaxy will really struggle with them.  

Thanks all!

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 6
hi,

I have never used that specific setup myself, but as for the Fiio E6 I too have heard only good things. The amp will make your music louder and unleash the full potential of your rig, making it not only louder, but also making it sound better. It also has EQ settings for bass, ect. Considering the price of the E6, I have not been able to find much better in that price range. For the price of the e6 I can't see how you could go wrong. I myself have done some research on the E6 and I am planning to get one for my ipod, people say it makes things sound better.

hope this helps

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Problem is you will be double amping a signal because you can not get a line out from the phone. You will make any problems in sound quality much worse.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 6
I realize that, but what I'm wondering if I will see any significant improvements at all as well?  I've always been a fan of "headroom" between an amplifier and it's speakers... does the same apply to headphones of this fidelity?  Or will, as you say, bring any issues (in this case, a bit of sibbilance) to the forefront? 

I should mention, the other reason why I'm considering an amp is because I will soon be picking up another set of cans--also for portable use.  They WILL need the power. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 6
It all depends on your ears if you can hear the difference. I would personally not do it as it is not a clean signal and feel the negatives outweigh the positive and I dont feel the e6 will make that much of a difference for the positive and only magnify the negative and add more negative to the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back